Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England squad announcement - Lewis Dunk RECALLED!

Will Lewis Dunk be selected for England today

• yes

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • no

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Although I know we were all hopeful of Lewis getting a chance tonight, I'm surprised so many seem to believe he was going to play.

As soon as I heard the stat on caps (Maguire: 58, all the other centre-backs combined: 8), and given's Southgate's history of sticking by those he trusts, I didn't think there was a doubt that Maguire would start.

So, for me at least, it was a question of who would play alongside him and I was anticipating one of the young guns, ie Guehi or Colwill.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I guess there’s only me and @Sheebo left but I’m English and I support the national team. I don’t just suddenly start my interest when they get to the quarter finals of a big tournament and all my mates are suddenly off to the pub, faces painted. I want us to win qualifiers and friendlies too. I’ve got mates who follow England everywhere, a mate who lost an eye in Turkey following England.

I watched us under Hyypia, Case, Hinshlewood. Hopeless coaches selecting hopeless players. At no point did I post “come on Barnet / Port Vale / Blackpool you can beat this shit”.

I’m sure you’ll get loads of trendy likes, but ultimately devoting yourself to a club cause beyond your own nationality and culture leads to where Newcastle fans were last night, decked in Saudi shirts and cheering on bloodthirsty princes.

It’s seems trendy to dislike the most successful England manager in my lifetime…not really sure why ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Although I know we were all hopeful of Lewis getting a chance tonight, I'm surprised so many seem to believe he was going to play.

As soon as I heard the stat on caps (Maguire: 58, all the other centre-backs combined: 8), and given's Southgate's history of sticking by those he trusts, I didn't think there was a doubt that Maguire would start.

So, for me at least, it was a question of who would play alongside him and I was anticipating one of the young guns, ie Guehi or Colwill.
Yep. And Dunk may well start against Scotland which will give all those tossing toys out of prams Dunk v Gilmour.

Southgate’s mistake was saying he’d pick players on form. Firstly, that may be apocryphal, secondly Dunk and Colwill ARE in the squad on form. But in an important game he will be starting players who know the system. That’s how Philips and Maguire keep getting picked.

Ansu Fati is a genuine Ballon D’or contender in the future but he won’t start for us until he learns our system and is fit enough to play it.

I know there’s a Palace conspiracy theory going on here but it doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Agreed - I do however think there is a reasonable chance for the Scotland game. Would love to see a Dunk and Colwill combo for that.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
It’s seems trendy to dislike the most successful England manager in my lifetime…not really sure why ?
Because he’s just been lucky and in reality is an average coach? He blew both the WC semi and the Euro final by employing the wrong tactics from winning positions.

A top coach would of won at least one of those titles, maybe even both.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Because he lost the euro’s to one of the worse Italian teams in history. It’s not great experience sat in a meeting shortly after the game, with Italians, Germans and Spanards, who took great delight in taking the piss out of how the team with the best squad could be so poor. In all their eyes England should have walked it. We were similarly poor in the WC. That is down to Southgate, he’s a very poor coach. Who in their right mind has Maguire and Phillips in their squad. Stupidity of the highest order.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Why to some on hear think he is some sort of palace fan ?

He was born in Watford played more games Aston Villa and Middlesbrough than he did for palace, then managed the later, I’ve never really seen much of a connection other than playing 150 odd games for palace, it’s not like he watches palace on his Saturdays off.

I don’t know any palace fans who hold him up as some sort of palace legend, a good player but that’s about it ?
This is a Brighton board.f*** off

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Because he’s just been lucky and in reality is an average coach? He blew both the WC semi and the Euro final by employing the wrong tactics from winning positions.

A top coach would of won at least one of those titles, maybe even both.
Let me stop you there.

In the lothario stakes, would you condemn George Best for blowing relationships with two Miss UKs and one Miss World?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Agree, just think of the other managers in recent times; Graham Taylor, Glenn Hoddle, the Wally with a brolly, the Capelo disaster, the Iceland humiliation under Hodson…

Southgate isn’t a risk taker but you have to give it to him he’s got a lot out of the current crop and the best tournament performances since 1966.

That said FFS play our Dunky tonight he deserves it

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Because he lost the euro’s to one of the worse Italian teams in history. It’s not great experience sat in a meeting shortly after the game, with Italians, Germans and Spanards, who took great delight in taking the piss out of how the team with the best squad could be so poor. In all their eyes England should have walked it. We were similarly poor in the WC. That is down to Southgate, he’s a very poor coach. Who in their right mind has Maguire and Phillips in their squad. Stupidity of the highest order.
Brighton lost an FA cup semi final to one of the shittest ManUre teams in history.

And who in their right mind would have Undav in their team?

RDZ OUT!!!!!!

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014

You’re right but we are hardly in danger of not qualifying so Southgate could have played Dunk and Colwill bearing in mind they had a few months playing together recently. Maguire has had no football and nor has Phillips. Who misses out for Phillips? Bellingham, Rice and Madison doesn’t leave much room for him.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Yeah, never got the Southgate hate. Seems a decent bloke as well. Edit* folks have short memories. England were awful in the period before he took over, apparently a very unhappy camp as well as an unlikeable team. I think he’s done good things since he’s been in charge.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Agree, just think of the other managers in recent times; Graham Taylor, Glenn Hoddle, the Wally with a brolly, the Capelo disaster, the Iceland humiliation under Hodson…

Southgate isn’t a risk taker but you have to give it to him he’s got a lot out of the current crop and the best tournament performances since 1966.

All the 'big club' rivalry, all gone now too. The players understand what it means to be in an England squad.

I have said it before, Southgate simply has a punchable face. I have risen to the urge to metaphorically, punch it, myself, on occasion. Being a bully can be quite more-ish.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

I'd have to disagree, we have made the semis and final despite southgate rather than because of him. Team selection has been poor and down right strange at times. Telling players that you’ll pick on form and then doing the opposite is criminal. It basically tells the likes of Maguire that it doesn’t matter how he plays each week, he’ll still get the nod which is unacceptable. It’s also insulting to those that are better each week but don’t get a call up. Saying that poor performing players have ‘never let me down‘ basically says that your are happy with second best. There is no improvement, no moving on to the next level, can you honestly see Pep or RDZ taking that approach?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I'd have to disagree, we have made the semis and final despite southgate rather than because of him. Team selection has been poor and down right strange at times. Telling players that you’ll pick on form and then doing the opposite is criminal. It basically tells the likes of Maguire that it doesn’t matter how he plays each week, he’ll still get the nod which is unacceptable. It’s also insulting to those that are better each week but don’t get a call up. Saying that poor performing players have ‘never let me down‘ basically says that your are happy with second best. There is no improvement, no moving on to the next level, can you honestly see Pep or RDZ taking that approach?
I rest my f***ing case. Maguire🤦‍♂️

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here