Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England - press reporting 6 changes vs Slovakia

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He is quality, no doubt. Personally I would play him in Alli's position and push Alli further forward

Possibly. Its a bit of a QUANDARY as the midfield is working quite well, but a fully match fit Jack Wilshere would start for all but 2 or 3 countries in this thing.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Shouldnt we give some other players the chance to play, you never know they may be needed due to injuries/suspensions. You never know some of them may have a stormer.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think Woy is resting The Boy Rooney for the knock out stages. I think he has been excellent in midfield. I was worried about the shoehorning but actually its been alright!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Huh? You wrote, "Wilshere is better than Rooney in that position". Given Rooney has probably been our best player (with Walker), how can you say Wilshere is better?

But now you seem to be saying it doesn't matter. All very confusing!

I think he is a better CM than Rooney if you have to compare the two. I think they're different type of players though, Wilshere is more direct and more comfortable linking the defence to attack. Rooney is better at the joining the front two, which is what I presume Roy was hoping for (but hasn't happened despite how well Rooney looks to have played).

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Generally the changes are OK. Vardy and Sturridge had to start, and Wilshere for Rooney could work. The full backs? A drop in standard, but the Spurs lads could do with a rest.

But Henderson? HENDERSON!?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If this turns out to be true then I'm not happy about there being WHOLESALE changes tbh. There's a game to win and a group to win here, now is not the time for taking our foot off the gas. In particular I think Rooney should certainly be starting. He's still learning and adapting to that deeper midfield role, and whilst its been a success so far, we've played nobody yet. Its one thing bossing the game from the middle when you're up against a second rate Russia (which had its best midfielders crocked), and a one-man Championship team...it'll be quite another when a proper team turns up. Rooney needs to play, he makes us tick.

By all means start making a few changes if or when we've got the game won, but not until. I'm already fearing a disjointed, unconvincing performance where we basically scramble through, and are left with Roy talking about "looking for the positives...". I can hear it now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Woy: "We'll give 'em a wight woyal wodgering without Wooney and Walker"

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Expected starting XI: England: Hart; Clyne, Cahill, Smalling, Bertrand; Wilshere, Dier, Henderson; Lallana, Vardy, Sturridge.

So Rooney out along with Alli, Kane, Sterling, Walker and Rose.

Has Roy got this wrong? Domesday scenario - If we lose ( Slovakia are no mugs as they showed in qualifying and against Russia), the Russkies beat Wales and outscore us in the group then we'll finish third and play Germany in Lille on Sunday.

If we win the group, and the Northern Irish beat the Germans - we could get them anyway?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
If true, absolute madness.

Rooney bossed the game against Wales, he is the source of most of our creativity. Unless he has a knock, he must play.

I am (just about) old enough to remember Alf Ramsey taking off Bobby Charlton when we were 2 nil up to West Germany in the 70WCQF, to rest him for the semi. A decision that sparked the end for our WC defence and the start of the end for Ramsey.

PG

He took off Charlton and Mullery and conceded the midfield as a result. No way would Mullers have allowed Beckenbauer to stroll half the length of the field to score.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great work, Roy.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Well that worked then. And who the f*** coaches henderson on crosses. I hope the are a non english eu worker so they can p*** right off when the lunatics win the referendum

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I trust all those desperate for Vardy and Sturridge to play are satisfied. Both absolutely shithouse.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That went well, so we play a week today

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here