Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

england player ratings

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
England were pretty average throughout, except Cahill, who was MAGNIFICENT. Seriously - as well as I've seen an England CB play in years.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Whilst it wasn't a classic, a point is a point. Yes ok, a few players were not at their best but don't take anything away from Ukraine. They closed down quickly, harried and tried to move the ball down the flanks at speed. The game reminded me of us against Millwall first half, the ball didn't stick. Like the look of that Bezus fella.....he could have made us pay if they'd brought him on earlier

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Hart- 7

Walker- 4
Cahill- 7
Jagielka- 6
Cole- 6

Lampard- 6
Gerrard- 6
Wilshere- 5

Walcott- 5
Milner- 3
Lambert-5

Young- 0

Agree that Carrick would have been the better option in the middle, would've taken out Wilshere, who has not done anything to show that he deserves the billing he gets for a long time. Don't understand why he seems to be an automatic pick..

Walcott is just a rich man's Craig Noone, Milner is diabolical, Walker cannot defend to save his life, Lambert worked his bollocks off but had no support. Same old story with England, it's not as if it ever changes is it? Why not just go, "yeah, bollocks to it, let's just put on the NATURALLY left-footed Andros Townsend and give him a shot", instead of putting on that useless **** Tom Cleverley?

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Agree, Cahill was very good and Jagielka was pretty decent.

Are people suggesting Man U's Michael Carrick should have played or the one who plays for England, gives the ball away just as much as the rest of them but has neither the goal threat or work-rate of them.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
What a dire game:ffsparr: Hart 6 walker 6 a Cole 7 Cahill mom 8 jaks 6 Gerrard 7 lampard 4 wiltshire 4 Walcott 3 Milner 5 Lambert 4 subs young 3

Hart 3 walker 2a Cole 6Cahill mom 8 jaks 6 Gerrard 7 lampard 4 wiltshire 2 Walcott 3 Milner 3 Lambert 2 subs young 1[/QUOTE]

And I'm being generous :)

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Walker wasn't THAT bad. Average like most of them.

I think he was dire as a defender and slightly less dire as a winger, if he had to play against serious international opposition then it would be so bad that I don't think I could watch.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Hart 3 walker 2a Cole 6Cahill mom 8 jaks 6 Gerrard 7 lampard 4 wiltshire 2 Walcott 3 Milner 3 Lambert 2 subs young 1

And I'm being generous :)[/QUOTE]

Generous for Gerrard, but otherwise about right

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hart 5

A Cole 5 (knocking it aimlessly down the line isn't what a modern full back should be doing)
Jags 5 (again, defensively sound, but panics on the ball when a simple pass is on)
Cahill 6
Walker 4 (caught out plus see note for other full back)

Milner 3
Gerrard 6 (not getting about as quick as he used to)
Lampard 4 (as above but more so)
Wilshite 3
Walcott 2 (red shirts, we were in red!!!)

Lambert 5 (did okay for the crap aimed at him)

sub Young 1 (he got his boots on the right feet)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Walker was as poor as Cahill was good. The rest we're 6's. Not sure why Wiltshere is getting so much stick. He looked comfortable on the ball and drew a couple of challenges.

We have a very, very average side. We could have lost yesterday, but a draw was a fair result.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
The annoying thing about Walker is that he believes he is something special and he is a very very long way from that. Mind you he is not the only one with an over inflated view of their standing in football! If there really isn't a better right back who is English then we do have a serious problem in the game.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
The annoying thing about Walker is that he believes he is something special and he is a very very long way from that. Mind you he is not the only one with an over inflated view of their standing in football! If there really isn't a better right back who is English then we do have a serious problem in the game.

Very overrated opinion of himself. Being a spurs fan I can say he has been equally shit for spurs this season too... especially in our last game against Arsenal.

The team is average, cant pass, no technical skill and no heart or passion which is what England teams in the past had more than other teams...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Cleverley is diabolical and Walcott has all the finishing prowess of Craig Snoopy Davies.

But you're right about everything, so I'll take your word for it :tosser:

Cleverly is "diabolical"? I suppose that makes Fergie a terrible judge of player seeing as he thought he was brilliant....

Walcott scored 14 premier league goals from the wing (or sort of wing) position and 21 overall in all competitions. Thats a goal every 2 games he played. Scoring more than people such as Dzeko, Rooney, Aguero, Cazorla, Defoe, Tevez. His finishing certainly isn't terrible. He can be accused of other failures in his game, sure, but his finishing is not bad at all.

Not quite sure why the "but you're always right" comment accompanied by the delightful image. Not sure I've ever met you or even had a disagreement with you so it seems an odd reaction. I hope I haven't upset you with my opinions about men kicking a ball around some grass.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
bit unfair on Wilshire also. He is also not fully fit yet, as Arsne keeps banging on about and I thought he put in a decent shift.

Walker was ok, but presumably the Liverpool full back Johnson is the first choice.

I woudl have had agbonlahor and Zaha on the bench....that would have at least given us some pace ...if Milner is the answer, the Woy is asking the bloody wrong question.

Thought the ref did well as I would have sent Hart off in teh first minute!

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Walker was our weakest link against the pub team on Friday night, so that's two games on the trot he's been poor. Rather have Johnson ... but even he isn't International class.
We have a problem at right back.

I thought Ashley Cole played well last night, and we've got good alternatives too.
We don't have a problem at left back.

Cahill did have a good game by Cahill standards, but let's be honest, he's not International class. Miller made him look like a Sunday league defender in the Scotland game.
Jagielka is steady ... but not good enough for international football either.
We have a problem at centre back.

Gerrard is still head and shoulders our best midfielder, but he draws his old age pension soon.
Lampard's legs are going, Wilshere seems unable to dominate, Carrick freezes in big matches, Cleverley runs around a lot, Milner is a workhorse who will never win matches for you, Ashley Young is so lacking in talent I'm embarrassed for him when he pulls on an England shirt......
We have a problem in Midfield.

Lambert is a makeweight who wouldn't even be near the squad if we had no injuries to other strikers, so he isn't even worth discussing.
Walcott flatters to deceive, he regularly looks like a match winner and so very rarely is. I would still persevere with him though, we're a bit short of better options.
The Ox is injury prone.
Sturridge is injury prone.
Welbeck lacks consistency, but that might be the Manager's fault because he plays him out of position.
Rooney is still our best hope ... and he hasn't performed well for a while.
We have a problem up front.

I regularly attend Wembley internationals and I've noticed the mexican wave is starting earlier and earlier in matches because of the type of plebs that now attend England games at Wembley. Clearly not football supporters, just people who go along for a laugh.
We have a problem with our support.

Apart from that everything is rosy and I can see no good reason not to be optimistic about our World Cup chances .........

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Cahill definitely MOM , thought Cole played quite well , he kept close to his man and did not lose the ball much .

Walker should of got forward more , when he attacked down the line in the second half twice he put in two good crosses into the danger areas and did well on Friday doing the same . He is better at that than Johnson who can never despatch the final ball . Walker was crap at defending though and was always in odd positions defending against them. If he could just improve his defending .

A typical England display , but we need to be much more than typical if we are to have any chance in Brazil , if we get there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here