England National Team

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
I watch but no longer get annoyed when they lose. I no longer care if they win. I have no emotional attachment to a team of over-paid, under-performing, technically poor and dis-interested PL 'stars' whose main interest in football lies with their next big payday.

This pretty much sums up my feelings too. And the fact you get players like Rooney & Terry acting like they do and still getting the chance to represent their country.

Not for me anymore I'm afraid.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Just because we're crap, you're going to stop supporting our country? If Albion started slipping down the leagues, back to league two, would you be saying the same thing? i hope not. Yes we are shit, but that still doesn't stop me watching the games and supporting the team.

Personally, I just don't feel the love for them. It's nothing to do with us being crap - we're not, we're run of the mill. I'm not one of those who will then pledge allegiance when a big tournament comes round.

I still love England in everything else, but not football.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I'm quite liking some of the younger players at the moment, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Cleverly in particularly actually seemed like they gave a shit last night. They're certainly not perfect, but for the age they are they played well, seemed invested in the game, and actually seem to relish playing for the national side.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I lost interest with england a while ago as our football just seemed stone age and tactically inept, plus i cant stand Terry. However i thought it was pleasant last night to see us playing the ball out from the back and just looking to lump it forward. When was the last time we did that?

Cleverly missed a sitter but looked like he was determined and showed a bit of fire. I also liked the look of Welbeck when he came on.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Just because we're crap, you're going to stop supporting our country? If Albion started slipping down the leagues, back to league two, would you be saying the same thing? i hope not. Yes we are shit, but that still doesn't stop me watching the games and supporting the team.

I have been supporting The Albion since I was taken to my first game when I was 4 and we were in Div 3 South-which we are still defending Champions of I believe? I've seen us win promotions, get relegated, lose our ground, get a new stadium and I'm still here.

England are shit. What have they done recently to justify the support they get?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If the Albion found themselves in division 4, yet the players were still earning Championship wages and all the local media outlets were telling us the Sussex public that we were amongst the biggest clubs in the land, and yet we employed some of the biggest twats in the game - and this whole state if affairs went on for years and years, I can tell you I would probably give up on the sport and get involved in a different one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For me it's not what Spain have finally achieved, the final straw for me is Germany.

They were s**t x amount of years ago, but still better than us.
They said that wasn't acceptable and changed the system.
Within 3 tournaments they are back at the very top of world football.

When you look at England's failure after failure, mainly for the same few reasons.
Take into account all the money sloshing around the sport.
Add the wages being paid for people who just aren't very good.

You end up with a product that just isn't appetizing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If the Albion found themselves in division 4, yet the players were still earning Championship wages and all the local media outlets were telling us the Sussex public that we were amongst the biggest clubs in the land, and yet we employed some of the biggest twats in the game - and this whole state if affairs went on for years and years, I can tell you I would probably give up on the sport and get involved in a different one.
When did we become Portsmouth? :lol:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I had lost interest in the National team after the last World Cup debacle.

But, under Hodgson, there does seem to be more pride about being there from the players and the younger ones do show a lot of promise.

I thought that the "goal" from Defoe just showed how often and easily Refs get conned by cheats and sadly this has permeated through all levels of football. Had we gone 1-0 up then, I am sure the whole complexion of the game would have been different.

I would love to see the Ukranian player, who was rolling on the floor in agony but managed to get up and pass the ball to a teammate when the ball came to him, made a complete laughing stock and the video to be shown over and over in the stadium on the night. If this was done every time a cheat was shown up with a video replay perhaps they would start to feel a little embarrassed. Rant over :tantrum:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Unfortunately, I think that the problem stems from the Premiership, and the Champions League. Players and lots of fans think those two are more important than our national team.

This has resulted in there being a shortage of decent English youngsters coming through, and an apathy when they do. Some of the kids we played last night make me scared for the future of our national team. When I watched the match, the level looked no better that The Albion's, on an average day. It will not stop me supporting them, nor being regularly disappointed in our failures.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

But, under Hodgson, there does seem to be more pride about being there from the players and the younger ones do show a lot of promise.

I thought that the "goal" from Defoe just showed how often and easily Refs get conned by cheats and sadly this has permeated through all levels of football.

So what should happen to our guy who flicked his leg backwards to try and "win" a penalty. The ref spotted this cheating and didn't give the pen.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
There isn't just one problem with the England team.

I watch but no longer get annoyed when they lose. I no longer care if they win. I have no emotional attachment to a team of over-paid, under-performing, technically poor and dis-interested PL 'stars' whose main interest in football lies with their next big payday.

The Albion, for me, are way more important. Every Albion result matters. I hate it when we lose. I don't give a damn about England results anymore because we all know that they will disappoint as sure as eggs is eggs.
This.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

I thought that the "goal" from Defoe just showed how often and easily Refs get conned by cheats and sadly this has permeated through all levels of football. Had we gone 1-0 up then, I am sure the whole complexion of the game would have been different.

I would love to see the Ukranian player, who was rolling on the floor in agony but managed to get up and pass the ball to a teammate when the ball came to him, made a complete laughing stock and the video to be shown over and over in the stadium on the night. If this was done every time a cheat was shown up with a video replay perhaps they would start to feel a little embarrassed. Rant over :tantrum:

It was a close call, but because Defoe is weedy excuse for a man, without the physical strength to stay on the ball, without using his elbows, he used them, and payed the price.

I don't start many threads on NSC, but my question is what is the problem with the England National team on here? Is it not ok to support and be proud of our boys? I, like many, watched the game tonight and was pleased when Lampard (a fantastic England player, who's record speaks for itself) equalised for England.

There are few positive England threads and I don't really understand why? Given how we qualify for 95% of tournament. I am fortunate to go to most home games and hopefully some away games soon and am dam proud to support the three lions along with the Albion, I just don't get why the team gets so much stick on here, is it just because we don't won every single game??

Not looking for an argument, just want to try and understand why there is so much negativity around the national team???

SB

I really feel for periods we got it right and we are trying to change the way we play,for 10 minute periods we get it right just need to get to the 70 minutes playing like that.Old habits die hard but promising signs.We all know how hard it is to re-educate the watching public with possession footie.Very close to scoring on 3 occasions and it would have been a different story. ENGLAND WORLD BEATERS its a thin line.

I caanot bring myself to cheer or support arrogant and egotistical people like Terry, Cole and Rooney. How come people like this get to represent my nation on the world stage? It's embarrassing. After watching our Olympians I dislike the national football team even more.

Unfortunately they're quite useful at football.

You're right though, and the Olympics has highlighted futher what a bunch of unlikeable (as well as overpaid and underachieving) characters most of them are.

To the people that claim that not supporting England is unpatriotic, it's actually completely the opposite. I am proud to be English/British, but I'll only support those that replicate that pride. For the most part, 'Team England' are not deserving.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
So what should happen to our guy who flicked his leg backwards to try and "win" a penalty. The ref spotted this cheating and didn't give the pen.

As I said" just showed how often and easily Refs get conned by cheats and sadly this has permeated through all levels of football."

DanSeagull

Jun 10, 2009
There isn't just one problem with the England team.

The Albion, for me, are way more important. Every Albion result matters. I hate it when we lose. I don't give a damn about England results anymore because we all know that they will disappoint as sure as eggs is eggs.

I could not have put it any better myself...

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I don't start many threads on NSC, but my question is what is the problem with the England National team on here? Is it not ok to support and be proud of our boys? I, like many, watched the game tonight and was pleased when Lampard (a fantastic England player, who's record speaks for itself) equalised for England.

There are few positive England threads and I don't really understand why? Given how we qualify for 95% of tournament. I am fortunate to go to most home games and hopefully some away games soon and am dam proud to support the three lions along with the Albion, I just don't get why the team gets so much stick on here, is it just because we don't won every single game??

Not looking for an argument, just want to try and understand why there is so much negativity around the national team???

SB

It's the green eyed monster mate, the same reason why people on here bang on about hating the premier league and the not caring about the champions league in one breath yet yearning to be there in another.

If you don't like the national side and appreciate some of you don't then that is fine. But starting a thread before every England/Prem/CL game to say how little they care just shows that deep down they really do care and are just doing to try and be one of the cool kids. It's the football equivalent of hating Coldplay.

Speaking as someone who does pretty much the opposite of you (most aways and few homes) we know there is still plenty interest in the national side. Friday I was in Chisinau with lads that fly in from the States for every game. Plenty of BHA there as well (4 and 1/2 (the 1/2 is a gooner really but has 1901 seats) in our group, plus bumped into [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] who had another 4 with him). Granted there is a bit of apathy towards the side since South Africa and that showed by the poor (by our standards) following we took to Ukraine/Poland in the summer. But we sold out Friday (and trust me it wasn't an easy place to get to!!), we're taking 3k to Poland next month and there were 68k there last night. We'll take allot to Brazil despite the fact we haven't got a cat in hells chance of doing anything.

Keep your pecker up fella and seriously look into doing the aways you won't regret it.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
For me it's not what Spain have finally achieved, the final straw for me is Germany.

They were s**t x amount of years ago, but still better than us.
They said that wasn't acceptable and changed the system.
Within 3 tournaments they are back at the very top of world football.

When you look at England's failure after failure, mainly for the same few reasons.
Take into account all the money sloshing around the sport.
Add the wages being paid for people who just aren't very good.

You end up with a product that just isn't appetizing.

Yes but how do we change it?

Germany haven't got a Premiership that is too powerful and controlling, only cares about itself and diddly squat about the national team.

Until the wheel turns and the Premiership goes out of fashion and the power shifts there is zero chance of change.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Over the past few years we've had the joy of seeing England represented by some of the most unpleasant, unlikeable characters imaginable. Sadly, when they come up against anybody even half decent, they fail, fail and fail again. My interest in the national team has drained away over the years. I couldn't care less anymore.

I am fast coming to this state of mind as well.

Dismayed at Wellbeck's blatant dive last night to win a penalty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports