Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England cricket

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Moores is just not an international coach.

Fine with Sussex and Lancs but just not the guy to take us forward. It was obvious to just about anyone we weren't going to do anything in this World Cup. We need a De Villiers, McCullum or Sangakarra and we don't don't know if we've got one because we keep picking the same bland plodders. Ben Stokes should have been there for certain and give some hungry up and coming county guys a chance - at least we'd have failed having a good go.

I'm not a Pietersen fan - but you have to say we could have done with him. One day cricket is all about talent and instinct, Moores can analyse as much as he wants but the only way we're going to get anywhere is by smashing their bowlers around more than they smash ours.

As Mike Tyson said - Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Moores is just not an international coach.

Fine with Sussex and Lancs but just not the guy to take us forward. It was obvious to just about anyone we weren't going to do anything in this World Cup. We need a De Villiers, McCullum or Sangakarra and we don't don't know if we've got one because we keep picking the same bland plodders. Ben Stokes should have been there for certain and give some hungry up and coming county guys a chance - at least we'd have failed having a good go.

I'm not a Pietersen fan - but you have to say we could have done with him. One day cricket is all about talent and instinct, Moores can analyse as much as he wants but the only way we're going to get anywhere is by smashing their bowlers around more than they smash ours.

As Mike Tyson said - Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth!

We have a plan ?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Lets just hope we use this latest thrashing as a reason to finally make all the changes that the performances are calling out for - Bell, Ali, Hales, Root, Bopara, Morgan, Buttler, Jordan, Woakes, Broad, Tredwell is about the best we can do with the current squad (Taylor for Morgan would be better but that isn't happening) - and hey, you never know, that team can bat aggressively 1-11 and is the kind of momentum-changer that can result in a bit of a run.

Of course they won't, the more criticism they get the more likely they are to stick with their original plans. Expect Bopara (or maybe Hales) for Ballance and Taylor back to 3, and an off-chance of Tredwell for Finn (to be reversed in the quarter-finals), and Anderson to continue to be allowed to not swing the ball and Broad to continue to get the chance to mess up the new-ball opportunity. Lose badly to India in the quarters and come home stupidly.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
We appear to think 300 is a winning score,however the 50 over game has moved on and the stronger sides are looking at scoring more.

Absolutely....we are way behind the times. In NZ with small grounds 300 is a par score.

I reckon of the better teams i.e Oz, NZ SA one of them will chase over 350 to win a game this tournament.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Kevin Pietersen: ECB chief leaves door open for England return - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/31681746

A very good article. Get him back, but he needs to help himself. I'd welcome him to Hove.

Sorry BoF, he can't come back, he mustn't come back. His knee won't stand the rigour of a 5 day Test, his one day form is intermittent now. His constant Twitter sniping against the ECB and current players is further proof that he IS a bad influence in the dressing room and is not a team player.

If he shut up, signed for a County, played cricket and scored tons if runs then maybe, but that isn't going to happen is it ?

I wouldn't welcome him to Hove and I bet Matt Prior won't either.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
Horrible today,but I did say after seeing England in Perth for the tri series that this might be the worst English cricket team we have seen down under.

We need to completely re-think our approach to 50-over cricket. Everyone else has. As usual we're lagging in our thinking. Once we're out of this tournament (sooner rather than later I'm guessing) we need to plan for the next one. This SHOULD involve a bit more variety in the bowling department and a lot more dynamism in the batting.

Our XI for the opening game of the next CWC tournament:

ROY
HALES
TAYLOR
ROOT
STOKES
WRIGHT
BUTTLER
RASHID
WOAKES
GURNEY
MILLS

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
We need to completely re-think our approach to 50-over cricket. Everyone else has. As usual we're lagging in our thinking. Once we're out of this tournament (sooner rather than later I'm guessing) we need to plan for the next one. This SHOULD involve a bit more variety in the bowling department and a lot more dynamism in the batting.

ROY
HALES
TAYLOR
ROOT
STOKES
WRIGHT
BUTTLER
RASHID
WOAKES
GURNEY
MILLS

Looks pretty good, don't know much about Mills and Stokes has been hit & miss.

I actually would keep Morgan but not as captain. He is still a class act as his 120 a few weeks ago proved but I think the captaincy is too much of a burden.

Luke Wright's absence from our ODI set up is staggering to me

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
Looks pretty good, don't know much about Mills and Stokes has been hit & miss.

I actually would keep Morgan but not as captain. He is still a class act as his 120 a few weeks ago proved but I think the captaincy is too much of a burden.

Luke Wright's absence from our ODI set up is staggering to me

I agree re. Morgan, broadly speaking... he has the right mentality for shorter form cricket. Mills is about the quickest thing around, or will be in a couple of years. He'll be 25-ish at the next CWC.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

ROY
HALES
TAYLOR
ROOT
STOKES
WRIGHT
BUTTLER
RASHID
WOAKES
GURNEY
MILLS

Gurney had his chance and did not take it. I suspect they hoped he would be the left arm seamer, but just got smacked around.

Wright will be finished by the next World Cup.

I would be looking more at players such as the Overton's to make the step up.

A lot of players in your team that have already failed for England.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
Gurney had his chance and did not take it. I suspect they hoped he would be the left arm seamer, but just got smacked around.

Wright will be finished by the next World Cup.

I would be looking more at players such as the Overton's to make the step up.

A lot of players in your team that have already failed for England.

I'm struggling to see who is better. Which is, of course, the problem... we're a bit 'understaffed' at the moment. Point taken on either Overton, though (Jamie or Craig) - they may well develop.

Gurney could yet bounce back, I think he's a good bowler - although on Googling I discovered he's not as young as I'd thought.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

The thinking was the exact opposite: Morgan had been on a really poor run - with the exception of a handful of games where he was captain. The selectors thought the responsibility would bring out the best out of him; that hasn't worked out but seeing that he was such poor form anyway, there's little point in picking him.

But the Morgan episode is an example of the poor thinking. We've had four years to plan for the WC, with a year to go we should have had our captain in place and knew pretty much our entire squad. To change things at the last minute demonstrates that planning and deep thinking aren't part of the selectors' mindsets. It's been a complete shambles.

No doubt we'll win against Bangladesh and Afghanistan but that's scarcely a ringing endorsement for our strategy

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/31721766

Nice to know that Stuart & the Boys are 'in a good place'.

Yes you **** you are in Australia in February & March while we are freezing our arses off back here in England, actually we expect you to play some half decent cricket on our behalf not be 'in a good place' you talentless medium pace twonk. :rant:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The pending proposal to reduce Test Cricket in England to four days, and one day internationals to 40 overs, Championship games to three days, as well as introducing franchises in 20/20, means I may be filling for divorce from the game next year. Shame really. It's been a wonderful 35 year marriage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here