Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England Cricket RIP

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That seems like an old argument from when T20 first came on the scene. The thing is, T20 is a lot more than just slog and bash, we've seen slower bowling, clever field settings all develop into a format way beyond where anyone imagined it could go. Test cricket has been enhanced by the shorter game. Look at David Warner for Australia, he is redefining the role of the opener from someone to get rid of the shine off the ball, and start to build, to someone who can put 100 runs on the board before lunch on the first day. T20 is actually producing players with guile, intelligence and technique far from your comparison with only picking the big lads.

If anything I'd say the shorter game has given the likes of say a James Taylor, a short tiny lad a real opportunity on the international stage. In contradiction to your statement, it's probably Test cricket that would have discarded him for being too small...

Very true, in the one day game a few runs or a maiden over really can make a difference, it's really not at all about slogging all the time, the ability to turn 1's in to 2's by finding gaps, fast running between the wickets or by tying down a batsman with really good "death " bowling is the main legacy of the one day/20/20 game.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
This is the sixth World Cup in a row now we've stunk the place out. If that doesn't tell you there's something seriously wrong with our approach to ODI cricket then nothing will. This was Englands worst ever performance in One Day Cricket, and to do that has taken something special as they've produced plenty of absolute stinkers over the years.

I'd send them home now, in disgrace, they have ego's way bigger than their actual quality of cricket. The people who turn up and pay the disgusting charges for international cricket in this country, £80 upwards are absolute mugs for paying for these players wages and allowing the ECB to continue to get away with putting money before performance.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Very true, in the one day game a few runs or a maiden over really can make a difference, it's really not at all about slogging all the time, the ability to turn 1's in to 2's by finding gaps, fast running between the wickets or by tying down a batsman with really good "death " bowling is the main legacy of the one day/20/20 game.

It's a good point, running between the wickets and changing the strike is an area that England have lacked in all formats. We end up chasing a run rate rather than keeping the scoreboard ticking and making it difficult to the fielding team. When England have player well, in recent memory Taylor and Buttler's partnership v India was particularly impressive given the majority of their partnership were run - Taylor only got 4 x 4's for his 82, Buttler 7 x 4's for his 67.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The key is that all of the other nations have for some time now made one-day cricket more important than test cricket. We have not advanced in any way whereas the others have. Personally, I prefer the test matches but it would be nice if we were decent in at least one form of the game.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Wouldn't be surprised to see Collingwood aiming for the job if he's even moderately successful with Scotland. I was under the assumption that the job was Ashley Giles to have once Flower had left. What happened?!?!

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It was just madness to build for this and then drop the captain just before. If he was going drop him ages ago Ms let us see how it goes with Morgan, or stick with him. We had passed the point of no return. All it has done is damage Morgan - great batting prospect to can't bat and can't captain.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Given up watching...muppets calling for the return of a South African to replace an Irishmen, I just cannot see the point of calling the team England?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I'd rather England win the Ashes than the World Cup

but as for rugby,I'd rather England win the World Cup than the Grand Slam

don't get me wrong,I'd be delighted if England do go on and win the cricket World Cup,but I'd put winning a test series out in India & South Africa on their own pitches as bigger achievements

one day cricket is great for introducing the sport to youngsters,but it shouldn't be a replacement for test cricket

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Looks like the Australia v Bangladesh match is under threat from the elements. A free point for Bangladesh will not help England's cause.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

don't get me wrong,I'd be delighted if England do go on and win the cricket World Cup,but I'd put winning a test series out in India & South Africa on their own pitches as bigger achievements

one day cricket is great for introducing the sport to youngsters,but it shouldn't be a replacement for test cricket

Being a fan of both sports mentioned, it's hard to disagree with the above.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't feel the love for this tournament. Especially as the ICC are trying to limit the amount of 'minnows'.

Include more countries in a group stage and have a shoot out from there.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
It's only recently that leading icons of the game such as Shane Warne were predicting the end of the 50 over, one day format.
It had become boringly formulaic, especially the middle 20 overs. England were set up at about 100 odd after about 25 overs, to continue on to grind out a 240 total.

Thank god for the collapse, thus avoiding the boring middle part of the innings.

The 50 over game would be a lot more interesting if bowlers were not restricted to 10 overs, if your best player is a bowler you should be able to maximise the advantage, not having to pick at least one player who could bat & bowl a bit, but not have the ability to play test cricket.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
With the 50 over format the best team normally win. In a 20/20 World Cup the one batsman in top form could win you the cup. It is staggering how sh1t we are at the 50 over format.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

100% this. Test cricket for me too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here