Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England Cricket RIP

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I am wondering if the England’s cricket team performance today was the worst/most disgraceful professional performance by one of our sporting teams in a World Cup stage eg. Football, cricket, rugby any other sport.

Any other notable low points in a sporting world cup or equivalent of to beat this?

I know we have lost to Holland at cricket and that in itself was bad enough but it was close and Holland squeezed home on the last ball???....today's display and the manner of the defeat was just really humiliating to be honest. The players should be utterly ashamed of themselves and they should donate any match fee to charity because none of them deserve to pick up a penny for that.

I was thinking the same thing. I have to say, this is the worst cricket performance I can remember, by a country mile. Nothing in rugby ever gets close and in football, although there have been lows ( USA 1950 / Poland 1974 / South Africa 2010....the overall performances were nowhere near as bad as this morning )
Yes...this is the nadir...the lowest ever point...nothing will ever be this bad again.....OR WILL IT!!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was thinking the same thing. I have to say, this is the worst cricket performance I can remember, by a country mile. Nothing in rugby ever gets close and in football, although there have been lows ( USA 1950 / Poland 1974 / South Africa 2010....the overall performances were nowhere near as bad as this morning )
Yes...this is the nadir...the lowest ever point...nothing will ever be this bad again.....OR WILL IT!!!

The really sad thing is the manner of defeat is the only surprise, not the result.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I lost my interest in Pyjama Cricket a long time ago,the equvilant of watching Rugby 7's for me

the Cricket World Cup needs serious overhauling,should be 2 innings matches to give it some credence

sure there is a place for ODI's running along side a test series,but it's just not cricket old boy!

Test cricket is the only one that really matters for me, too. The ODI and Twenty20 stuff is all good fun, pulls in the punters and that, but doesn't really matter.

The important thing about limited overs cricket is it's just about the only form the vast majority of players outside the professional game will ever play. It is what every kid will start playing. If they don't start playing, no new cricketers so the limited overs game is vital for the overall health of the game.

I am with you on being a far bigger fan of test cricket, but without the limited overs game, there is no test cricket, it will die, make no mistake about that.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The recent farce with the ODI captaincy was hilarious. I was no fan of Cook in ODI's but we've subsitituted, one meek, tactically naive, out of form captain, who couldn't buy a run with the bat for another.

The last two results were highly predicatable by anyone that takes more than a passing interest in the game. This New Zealand side (who I've backed) are seriously good but they don't have any special players (bar perhaps McCullum.) They are a fantastic team though.

England's world cup (which was only ever "can we sneak into the 1/4 finals") starts now. If we make the 1/4 finals we'll play a proper team there and get humiliated again.

Also, I know we can't fire him now but I said at the time and I'll say it again, Moores was a terrible appointment. Emblematic of the complacent, don't rock the boat culture at the core of English cricket. Now Pietersen's out of the picture, who's left to blame?

I'm with Boycott (at least I think this is what he's been saying for a number of years...) in that we've reached a point where the coach of an international cricket team needs to be like a football manager with much more control over all matters. I don't know for certain, but I believe this is what Lehmann demanded from Cricket Australia. Lehmann is still a selector I think, and has far greater control over the side than many other international coaches. I know Moores is a selector for the ODI's but does that extend to the tests?

We're in an age of real professionalism, and yet English cricket is still being run like it's amateur time with the old boys making their picks from the counties. Needs a radical shake up.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008

I did think about the football WC in SA and the games against Algeria and then Germany but the Algeria game was just a bore draw (not a defeat) and the Germany game well....we did score a goal and it should have been 2-2 if the ref/lino had eyes and for a brief spell we were in the game...however, today in the cricket, it was humiliating for the players (and worse for the poor England fans, of which there were quite a few).

I was thinking as I was watching Brendon McCullum it was like say NZ v Hong Kong or the Isle of Man or something like that...I do concur with your warning at the end too....Scotland next!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How many times has English cricket had it obituary written over the last 40 years?

&

What's changed in English cricket over the last 40 years?

Before this I can think of at least 3.
&
Half hearted 20/20 cricket.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Our blackest day...diabolical. With the possible exception of Anderson the bowling is dire. Stuart Broad is to 'limited over' bowling what I am to Ballet Dancing.....endless short pitched balls, why doesn't someone tell him to bowl a length?
And the batting...there's no one in the squad with the guts or ability to attack the bowling. At one stage England had hit one boundary in 99 balls. That's less than an acceptable run rate for even a Test Match. Time now for a complete overhaul.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
What they need is some sort of artifact to mark this sad occasion, maybe they could burn a aouple of bails or something to create a lasting symbol? (i've a sneaking suspicion that this may have been done before when English cricket first passed away, i guess English Cricket is the Tony Hart of the sporting world)

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'd just like to say a fond farewell to the England Cricket team who finally passed away overnight after a long illness bravely borne.
A transfusion of South African blood a few years ago temporarily slowed the decline but unfortunately could not arrest the malaise at cricket's heart. A desperate gamble involving a untried unit of Irish blood was unable to prevent it's passing. At this time of great sadness our thoughts must be with England's finest sons, Botham,Gower,Boycott and Atherton who were forced to watch at the bedside as the old gentleman subsided overnight. The end, when it came was mercifully quick as the middle and late order slipped away for 19 runs and the New Zealander, Dr McCullum, pronounced the death as official with dignified, but, unhurried efficiency.

On a personal note I would like to thank England for some memorable good times in the last 10 years or so which made up for the painful progression from youth to manhood bestowed upon England by the West Indies and Australians. The Summers of 2005 and 2010/1, particularly, will live on in our memories for many years. RIP.

Nicely written :)

To me it comes down to mental ability and a sheer bloody-mindedness to perform. All the best players in the world have that element within their makeup. Of course ability is key, and I think most (but not all) of the current crop of England players are good enough technically, but they simply lack the resolution to deliver when it counts.

Send them off to the Marine's Boot Camp to toughen them up, and then get an outrageous American Sales Executive to fill their heads with brash self-belief and turn them in to head-strong soldiers that don't get intimidated by the occasion and go out there and EXPECT to do well

You have not been charged for this advice :)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

That mauling the England rugby team took at the hands of South Africa in World Cup 2007 was bad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/english/6994767.stm

That we ended up nearly winning that tournament was amazing.

inland seagull

Aug 7, 2010
Northampton
Bob Willis had a few words for it ' the batsmen were Derek and the Dominos and the bowlers the Grateful Dead. instead of giving away 100 in the last 10 overs, they gave them away in the first 10'

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
We are shit, the fact we don't select our best players means we deserve everything we get.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Scotland scored more runs V NZ than we did,should be a cracker.I watched live this morning and Mccullums innings was rather special.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How many times has English cricket had it obituary written over the last 40 years?

&

What's changed in English cricket over the last 40 years?

Before this I can think of at least 3.
&
Half hearted 20/20 cricket.

We were decent for a while Stat. In the years leading up to 2005 we built on the solid foundations laid down by Duncan Fletcher and Nasser Hussain, and in Michael Vaughan we had arguably one of the best international captains there has been in the game. Against a formidable Aussie team who had beaten all before them, we won. We then had (other than the 2006 debacle) 5 or 6 solid years of being a very good international cricket team. In the test arena we competed with the best and it looked all looked rosy. New players integrated into the team, it looked like we could stay on top for a while. We won the T20 cricket world cup too, and we were consistently ranked in the top 3 teams in the world for a good 5 or so years.

What's made this obituary all the more galling is that it has come from a position of apparent strength. We've had many obituaries down the years when we were already on the death bed, the priest had been in a long time before the headlines. This one has been a sudden onset of illness in an apparently completely young healthy patient. The slide has been alarming.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Ive just watched the highlights , Southee NZ best bowler took 7 wickets from one end , our best bowler same action , bowls from the opposite end ? , seriously thats a complete piss take

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The important thing about limited overs cricket is it's just about the only form the vast majority of players outside the professional game will ever play. It is what every kid will start playing. If they don't start playing, no new cricketers so the limited overs game is vital for the overall health of the game.

I am with you on being a far bigger fan of test cricket, but without the limited overs game, there is no test cricket, it will die, make no mistake about that.
Test cricket managed the best part of a hundred years with ODIs, let alone Twenty20 bashes. I agree though, that times have changed. Trouble is, with everybody just wanting to come in and slog, where will we find players who can build an innings, and sustain it, and bowlers who can work out an opponent? We'll have the same trouble as we already have in junior football - the 'good' players, the ones who get taken on, are the big strong lads who develop their strength earlier than smaller boys. And that isn't working too well for English football youth development at the moment.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Test cricket managed the best part of a hundred years with ODIs, let alone Twenty20 bashes. I agree though, that times have changed. Trouble is, with everybody just wanting to come in and slog, where will we find players who can build an innings, and sustain it, and bowlers who can work out an opponent? We'll have the same trouble as we already have in junior football - the 'good' players, the ones who get taken on, are the big strong lads who develop their strength earlier than smaller boys. And that isn't working too well for English football youth development at the moment.

That seems like an old argument from when T20 first came on the scene. The thing is, T20 is a lot more than just slog and bash, we've seen slower bowling, clever field settings all develop into a format way beyond where anyone imagined it could go. Test cricket has been enhanced by the shorter game. Look at David Warner for Australia, he is redefining the role of the opener from someone to get rid of the shine off the ball, and start to build, to someone who can put 100 runs on the board before lunch on the first day. T20 is actually producing players with guile, intelligence and technique far from your comparison with only picking the big lads.

If anything I'd say the shorter game has given the likes of say a James Taylor, a short tiny lad a real opportunity on the international stage. In contradiction to your statement, it's probably Test cricket that would have discarded him for being too small...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here