Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Eng v Ind - 5th Test - Edgbaston kick-off 11am

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
'Daddy, I don't want to see The Hundred, can we go and watch some proper cricket ?'

And proper cricket it was. England cut out the silly stuff and realised five an over would do.....

I've been watching over forty years and this Test is the best I can remember for pure, yet innovative, cricket in an entertaining form..

I’m not sure in the history of the game a side chasing 350+ in the final innings hasn’t approached it with ‘let’s see where we are after 50 overs before going for it’. There have of course been brilliant attacking positive past test teams, but statistics bare out that few if any go out and say ‘we’re going for it from ball 1’. 5 an over in the 4th innings is circumspect for this team now, 5 per over is measured cricket!!!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
[tweet]1544277649383628800[/tweet]

Bairstow has always been frustrating. There was a period a few years back when he was comfortably the best batsman in England. But he couldn't quite translate it with his white ball load to the main game at the highest level.

It's like a light has switched on in his head.

Credit to him, he comes from good stock and loves the long game. Okay, Yorkshire, we admit you're good.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
'Just two lads from Yorkshire.... we had it under control'

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I've landed in an alternate Universe.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
India have lost the chance to win a series they sacrificed last September for the sake of the IPL...and we will always remember last Autumn's IPL won't we?

England and Cricket the winner today.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
8/1 start of day five ..u didn’t did u

I did I'm afraid, I will take this one on the chin, fair play that was an exceptional batting performance from England.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Root and Kohli excellent comparative examples of whether ego and arrogance comes into play remaining in a team after losing the captaincy.

I think there are many interesting comparisons between the two teams in this test. England's aggressiveness manifested into a relentless push for wickets and runs, a calm fearlessness let's say, whereas Kohli embodied an angry confrontational aggressiveness to try and unnerve the opposition. One certainly worked better than the other.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I have to hold my hands up. I thought test cricket in this country was dead in the water. Fortunately, by sheer force of personality, Rob Key got the MD role of the England cricket team, and we haven't looked back.

He picked Stokes as captain and he backed Anderson and Broad - 3 huge decisions he got right straight away.

Crucially, he has split the Head Coach's job into red ball and white ball cricket and nailed the appointment of Brendon McCullum as the test team supremo.

Key then backed his players when it would have been easy to bin off one or both of Lees and Crawley, yet their century opening stand gave England the platform for this incredible win today.

England should thank their lucky stars, all of which have aligned perfectly this summer.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
To lose the captaincy, for a new captain and manager to effectively say what we were doing before was wrong, we're going to do this, and for Root to up his game (if that was possible) is phenomenal.

I thought like England captains before him who lose it and don't go on that much longer, I can see him extending his career for years yet.

If he does that, he's going to break so many records. I'll be surprised if he doesn't make it to second in all-time Test runs scored within a couple of years. Whether he gets past Tendulkar is a more open question, as is how far he can go beyond it.

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/223646.html

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well, that was rather enjoyable. Very much shows how much cricket is played in the mind.

Oh indeed. Everything we thought we knew about how to play Test cricket has been blown away, the same as our approach to the One Day game altered overnight. (That was down to McCullum as well, albeit indirectly). Even the attitude, 'yeah we will lose a few that we might have drawn' is the total opposite. If Geoffrey Boycott was dead he'd be spinning in his grave.

(I hope we stay this positive when we DO lose a few, as we undoubtedly will).

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Oh indeed. Everything we thought we knew about how to play Test cricket has been blown away, the same as our approach to the One Day game altered overnight. (That was down to McCullum as well, albeit indirectly). Even the attitude, 'yeah we will lose a few that we might have drawn' is the total opposite. If Geoffrey Boycott was dead he'd be spinning in his grave.

(I hope we stay this positive when we DO lose a few, as we undoubtedly will).

What was great about the positivity though was that Bairstow and Root barely offered the bowlers any hope. They went for the runs but they were not reckless. Bairstow in particular, it's pretty obvious to say, has been magnificent in this regard of late. I hope Stokes was taking notes as his first innings dismissal was very poor considering the match situation at the time.

Genuinely thrilling stuff from England now (for which Stokes should take a lot of credit), when is the next game? We want more!

Agree with you about being understanding the next time this tactic does not work though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What was great about the positivity though was that Bairstow and Root barely offered the bowlers any hope. They went for the runs but they were not reckless. Bairstow in particular, it's pretty obvious to say, has been magnificent in this regard of late. I hope Stokes was taking notes as his first innings dismissal was very poor considering the match situation at the time.

Genuinely thrilling stuff from England now (for which Stokes should take a lot of credit), when is the next game? We want more!

Agree with you about being understanding the next time this tactic does not work though.

20/20 and ODIs for the rest of the month and then the Saffers in the next Test Match starting 17 August.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here