Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Enforced sitting in the North stand tomorrow

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
There is no problem anywhere else in the ground, this is a North Stand issue, if you want to stay sat for the whole game you are in the right place. If someone wants to sing, shout etc... then they want to be in the North, as a result this may mean more up and down than other areas of the ground.

Funny you should say that, I made a point of looking around the ground today and loads of people at the back of WSU stand all the time, ditto WSL, can't see the ESU or SS well enough.

Gullzone

Apr 14, 2012
This Green and Pleasant Land
Don't see your point tbh, pretty sure the laws don't say you can stand if there's a wall behind you?

Well that is the point what feckin harm can he do if there's a wall behind?

If 2000 + away fans can stand why cant areas of the North Stand too - whats the difference. I think elements are trying to sanitise football, it is a passionate game and fans get passionate about it that's what creates atmosphere. I sit in the ESU but thats because i like to watch from the side and also sit down, but taking some of the views posted we need to keep the atmosphere not turn it into a library!!!!

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Well that is the point what feckin harm can he do if there's a wall behind?

If 2000 + away fans can stand why cant areas of the North Stand too - whats the difference. I think elements are trying to sanitise football, it is a passionate game and fans get passionate about it that's what creates atmosphere. I sit in the ESU but thats because i like to watch from the side and also sit down, but taking some of the views posted we need to keep the atmosphere not turn it into a library!!!!

Has the no standing law only just been passed? Thought not, just because it hasn't been enforced doesn't mean it won't be in the future.

I too prefer watching from the side and support safe standing, in the same way I do what I can to make sure my ms suffering partner always has a joint of an evening, knowing full well that technically I'm breaking the law by doing so.

Feb 14, 2010
Funny you should say that, I made a point of looking around the ground today and loads of people at the back of WSU stand all the time, ditto WSL, can't see the ESU or SS well enough.

That quote is not my work, I think i was replying to someone else's quote. My position is that the club shouldnt cause waves on the issue and just quietly let people stand in the north stand as people stand up and down the country. Choice is the key, people should sit in West Lower and family stands but the north stand is for the boisterous. It seems the club sat down and thought about it, and fair play to them, handing a leaflet out is a nice small token gesture. Keep the gestures token until standing returns as it seems is now on the way. Football is the same as every other business. The employees should be thinking how to help not hinder a punter. Well done the club by the sounds of it.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
But the cant just quietly let the people stand (and I'm one of them) as they are being watched and have the FA breathing down their necks.

Instead of blaming the club we should do our bit with other clubs to get safe standing made legal.

The clubs view on safe standing is very disapointing BUT understandable given how much has been spent building the stadium.

chrissyboy01

Sep 24, 2011
But the cant just quietly let the people stand (and I'm one of them) as they are being watched and have the FA breathing down their necks.

Instead of blaming the club we should do our bit with other clubs to get safe standing made legal.

The clubs view on safe standing is very disapointing BUT understandable given how much has been spent building the stadium.

Is safe standing currently illegal then?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

Really? I don't believe this for a second... people stand at most large grounds in the country now, yet i have never heard of the FA dishing out fines or even educed allocations. It simply doesn't happen. Next time you watch match of the day, have a look behind the goals and you'll see entire stands full of people allowed to stand all match.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
As Bozza has already said do not take your frustrations out on the Stewards tomorrow when you are told to sit down, just get your coat and leave the ground in protest , we stand in row Q and are leaving when told to sit and will do every game .Next season away games only for me, some people on the waiting list can have our seats:albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2:The Falmer will be the library that the Emirates is
:flameboun:flameboun:flameboun:flameboun:flameboun:flameboun:flameboun:flameboun:flameboun:flameboun:flameboun:flameboun:flameboun:flameboun:flameboun:censored::censored::censored::censored:

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
This is moronic and utterly embarassing. The club have spent millions building a state of the art all seater stadium for the likes of you and me to enjoy. The vast majority come to the game abide by the rules and want to sit & enjoy. Why come to an all seater stadium and stand. Rather than being childish and leaving if stewards merely ask you to sit may I suggest you be adult about it and don't come in the first place!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

I'm not bothered one way or the other and don't really have a view. But, is this correct? I've been to 9 away games this year and last and have stood up throughout the entire game as have the rest of our away support (or at least those I can see) ... maybe I've just got "lucky" in those games but it certainly doesn't bother some clubs

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Sitting down.......

.........given the choice I would much rather stand at football, and I have been pleasantly surprised that stewards at away grounds don't appear to be making any attempt to make us sit.

I am therefore disappointed that the club appears to have been so quick to dismiss "safe standing". It's not everybody's cup of tea but there is certainly a significant number of fans who would welcome a safe standing area. Surely its incumbent on all businesses to listen to what their customers want?

Anyway, as things are, I usually behave and sit down in the WSU. Or at least I would do more sitting down if you fat buggers didn't have me jumping up every few minutes so you can go feed your face with pies. Not only that, the fat buggers in the row in front need to fill their bellies too so my view is being constantly hampered by those in front of me standing to let the pie-piggers out.

I pay my money for my seat so do I not have a right to enjoy the game without my concentration and enjoyment being spoiled because some can't go for 45 minutes without eating or drinking?

From 37 minutes to 55 minutes on Saturday I was up and down like a jack-in-the-box to accommodate the poor, starving waifs, and when I wasn't my view was obscured by those in front of me jumping up to accommodate the desperation of the pie-piggers in their row!

Stop being so bloody selfish. If you can't manage without food until half-time, buy two pies on your way in, have a good breakfast before you get to the ground, or get your mum to make you a packed lunch!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
After all the pre-game hysteria, I thought the stewarding in the North on Saturday was pretty low-key.

I spoke to one at half time who said that The FA did an assessment at the Bristol City game, which has prompted the letter we all got.

To be fair, the vast majority of the stewards would prefer it all be largely self-regulating. When The FA get involved, there's not much they can do.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Anyway, as things are, I usually behave and sit down in the WSU. Or at least I would do more sitting down if you fat buggers didn't have me jumping up every few minutes so you can go feed your face with pies. Not only that, the fat buggers in the row in front need to fill their bellies too so my view is being constantly hampered by those in front of me standing to let the pie-piggers out.

I pay my money for my seat so do I not have a right to enjoy the game without my concentration and enjoyment being spoiled because some can't go for 45 minutes without eating or drinking?

From 37 minutes to 55 minutes on Saturday I was up and down like a jack-in-the-box to accommodate the poor, starving waifs, and when I wasn't my view was obscured by those in front of me jumping up to accommodate the desperation of the pie-piggers in their row!

Stop being so bloody selfish. If you can't manage without food until half-time, buy two pies on your way in, have a good breakfast before you get to the ground, or get your mum to make you a packed lunch!

Its so much easier to move forward whilst standing and doing so means you miss none of the game, likewise you are far less likely to miss a goal if you are already standing due to the time it takes for the "we're attacking" ripple effect to take place.

Although, during the half time break it is extremely annoying when those who wait until after the halftime whistle goes before going for their sustinence or to the toilet make you stand for them to get out just after you have sat down for a rest at half time.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
After all the pre-game hysteria, I thought the stewarding in the North on Saturday was pretty low-key.

I spoke to one at half time who said that The FA did an assessment at the Bristol City game, which has prompted the letter we all got.

To be fair, the vast majority of the stewards would prefer it all be largely self-regulating. When The FA get involved, there's not much they can do.

After the rogue steward was dealt with I think they may have been a bit embarrassed

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Why don't they actually mention this with the letters/email it would help everyone understand what has changed and why.

"We have recently been assessed by the FA and they indicated that too many people were persistantly standing, therefore we need to something about it"

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Could you highlight some examples of this please?

Not the FA... but:

Man United fans' ticket allocation cut at Anfield

It is the second season the council's licensing committee has reduced the allocation at Anfield

Fewer tickets will be available for Manchester United fans when their team plays at Anfield or Goodison Park this season, it has been confirmed.

Liverpool City Council approved plans to reduce the ticket allocation due to health and safety concerns caused by away fans standing in gangways.

It is the second season the council's licensing committee has reduced the allocation at Anfield.

Last year the number was cut from more than 3,000 to 1,965.

'Up to fans'
It came after the issue of fans standing in the gangways was raised at a meeting of the Ground Safety Advisory Group.

The exact ticket allocation figure for this season at Anfield will be fixed by the club, but it is expected to be similar to the one set last year.

The number of tickets available for United fans at Goodison Park will be reduced by 26.

The decision will continue to be reviewed by the head of licensing.

Licensing committee chairwoman Christine Banks said: "All I can say is, it is just for the health and safety of the fans, not stopping their enjoyment of watching the match.

"This is just changes for the forthcoming season, but beyond that if those fans don't stand in the gangways then they will get their ticket allocation back.

'Influence the behaviour'
"It's up to the fans now."

Chairman of the Football Supporters' Federation Malcolm Clarke said it was important that fans are kept informed.

"I pay tribute to the Liverpool licensing committee for having a discussion about this this morning," he said.

"The benefit of that is that the Manchester United supporters will endeavour to influence the behaviour of their supporters, so the gangways aren't blocked, and everybody can be a winner in this hopefully."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here