Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Emotional control - help needed

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Luckily my best mates wedding in Malta this month has been postponed for a year do I dont have to give the best man speech, which i hadn't started! The last one i did went tits up after 10 seconds, damn power point presentation!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Valium

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My elder daughter gets married tomorrow ...
I've written my speech and have been practising all yesterday.
Problem is, I can't get through it without welling up in certain places.
Has anyone got any practical suggestions for where I can't put my mind to help stop this?
I fear that with alcohol in my system it will also be a fair bit worse.

For example, the is a well know suggestion for nervous public speakers to imagine your audience are all fully naked - too many friends and family involved to make that work.
Anyways, its not nerves that's the problem, it's emotions.

Please help [serious and sensible options only please - this is no joking matter]

1. Don't drink alcohol before you have to deliver the speech.
2. Imagine you are simply playing a part in a film
3. Read the bits that 'get you' emotionally many, many times to yourself before you have to deliver it, to lessen their emotional impact when yo have to do it at the event.
4. Finally, try not to worry about it.
5. Have a great day.

Did all this (apart from No.5) delivering the eulogy at my Dad's funeral a couple of years ago.

As someone who is used to public speaking, one thing I didn't want to do was break down. I owed it to my family, and to myself, not to. I basically did 1-4 above, and it worked. I delivered my speech with pride. In fact, that's the proudest thing I've ever done.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I've got to go through this next June, I'm a great one for deflecting emotion with humour, I guess it's a sort of stiff-upper-lip syndrome.

Depending on where you are welling up I'd go with something like - "It's about time you left home - Gary Lineker has asked me to take on a refugee in your bedroom"

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Let’s say it how it is... people want you to break down and lose it completely, anything less just ain’t gonna cut it. Let rip and you won’t disappoint mate!! (Add a few)

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Good luck today [MENTION=3125]Shropshire Seagull[/MENTION] hope you and the family have a bloody brilliant time ⚪️�� ❤️

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Right, afternoon after the day before ....

Firstly, huge appreciation for everyone who offered advice [even the less practical ideas] - I read them all

I'm now a fully fledged member of the BLUB-CLUB

Everything went off perfectly, even being TWENTY-FIVE MINUTES late to the church [unplanned].

I've not yet seen the video play-back but I was overwhelmed with the number of folk who came up to me afterwards to congratulate me on a splendid effort [for the speech] and as most of you suggested, many [inc the Bride] were blubbing along with me. My speech already had a smattering of humour - "even the cake was in tiers" and "I've just given her away, should have cashed in years ago whilst in Turkey when I was offered 2 camels and a dozen chickens." So the standby [blub avertion][ line of "damn, more dust in my eye" provided the pause(s) required to gather my composure.

Fantastic day, no issues, now on the chill-down.

Thanks again NSC family ....

SS

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Best of luck, hope it goes well.

I'll be re-visiting this thread next year no doubt. My eldest daughter was due to marry this July but for obvious reasons it's yet to go ahead. So I shall certainly be taking tips form here nearer the time......

Hopefully it'll be a walk in the park by the time I walk my 5th daughter down the aisle and do the father of the bride speech.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Right, afternoon after the day before ....

Firstly, huge appreciation for everyone who offered advice [even the less practical ideas] - I read them all

I'm now a fully fledged member of the BLUB-CLUB

Everything went off perfectly, even being TWENTY-FIVE MINUTES late to the church [unplanned].

I've not yet seen the video play-back but I was overwhelmed with the number of folk who came up to me afterwards to congratulate me on a splendid effort [for the speech] and as most of you suggested, many [inc the Bride] were blubbing along with me. My speech already had a smattering of humour - "even the cake was in tiers" and "I've just given her away, should have cashed in years ago whilst in Turkey when I was offered 2 camels and a dozen chickens." So the standby [blub avertion][ line of "damn, more dust in my eye" provided the pause(s) required to gather my composure.

Fantastic day, no issues, now on the chill-down.

Thanks again NSC family ....

SS

Glad you enjoyed it :thumbsup:

Jul 7, 2003
Great to see the "even the cake is in tiers" gag still going strong. Proper Dad joke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here