[Other Sport] Emma Raducanu

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Lack of preparation.

Nobody expected her to get as far as she did. As a result, nobody prepared her for the occasion, or having to wait hours and hours to finally get on to court. The adrenaline was too much.

I personally think that experience has been so important for her, and in part a reason why she is excelling in this tournament, with such cool and confidence.

No arguments with any of that.
My concern is what the UK media will put her through next year.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My point is that having a British Asian sporting role model is rare, and welcome. My son never watches tennis, but has been watching all her matches. My kids are seeing someone "like them" winning and being likeable. It's important

I get your point on this but it is a shame they have to feel that way. I guess a minority in this country means they look for it - but it is a shame they don’t possibly resonate with say Andy Murray the same.

But great stuff from Emma - brilliant :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thanks, I refrained from replying as I don't want to debate this, and I'm really happy for his kids enjoying the tennis, even if it's for the wrong reasons.

She's a great British player - a rare thing! Her parent's ethnicities are completely irrelevant in my view.
I’ll always say what I see - [MENTION=159]Stumpy Tim[/MENTION] will understand where those comments are coming from. It’s a shame in society that mixed race children have to be extra compelled to watch someone who ‘looks the same’. I’m sure Tim has a closer view of it than us of course - but it’s a shame. Everyone should resonate with who they admire on the pitch / court / stage because of talent not because of looks - in an ideal world.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I’ll always say what I see - [MENTION=159]Stumpy Tim[/MENTION] will understand where those comments are coming from. It’s a shame in society that mixed race children have to be extra compelled to watch someone who ‘looks the same’. I’m sure Tim has a closer view of it than us of course - but it’s a shame. Everyone should resonate with who they admire on the pitch / court / stage because of talent not because of looks - in an ideal world.

I'm assuming you are white and British. Your comment displays the lack of understanding that stumpy is trying to illustrate. It's hard for you and me to understand what it must feel like to be a minority, and it's that lack of what I think they call 'lived experience' that we have to try to counter before we make rather sweeping statements from our position of privilege. Not implying you're a bad person, just one like many of us who understandably struggles to empathise with a situation so alien to our own but that appears to be so similar.

I don't want to derail the Emma debate, but happy to DM [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION], a poster I respect and enjoy.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Why does everything always have to be about race, or sexuality or whatever? Can't we just enjoy her success with her and root for her?
HTML:

Stumpy Tim

I'm assuming you are white and British. Your comment displays the lack of understanding that stumpy is trying to illustrate. It's hard for you and me to understand what it must feel like to be a minority, and it's that lack of what I think they call 'lived experience' that we have to try to counter before we make rather sweeping statements from our position of privilege. Not implying you're a bad person, just one like many of us who understandably struggles to empathise with a situation so alien to our own but that appears to be so similar.

I don't want to derail the Emma debate, but happy to DM [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION], a poster I respect and enjoy.

I am 100% certain neither [MENTION=7]Mustafa[/MENTION] nor [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] mean to do it, but I think I know how women feel when they're being mansplained. The reality is that if you want kids to enjoy certain sports then it's important they see people like them being successful. I didn't particularly notice it with tennis until Raducanu started winning. My son watched the replay on Prime this morning... he doesn't even watch the football replays, and he's football mad.

Anyway, let's move on. I'm sure no one means harm with what's been said.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I was once telling my confident, successful 27 year old daughter about a business trip to Prague. My hotel was in a rather run down bit of the city and I had to use an under pass. One evening as I entered, a group of rowdy lads came from the other direction. They didn't do anything wrong, but a lot of scenarios ran through my head. Nothing happened, but I had felt anxious, exposed and isolated.

She listened and then said "that's how most women feel, most of the time, when they are alone in a city. It was very sobering and I think it's the point when I started to understand the gift I've had all my life - being a white man in a predominantly white country.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
There was something I found a little troubling in her post-match interview - she reminded me a lot of Eugenie Bouchard. Bouchard broke into the game in a really impressive way and then lost herself to modelling and endorsements. Emma is a beautiful girl with so much talent, I really hope she has more positive influences on her and she's able to maintain this level. Her performance yesterday was extraordinary - having lost the first two games to win 11 in a row and 12 of the last 13 is incredible for a woman her age and considering her lack of match experience. Shelby Rogers had played a long doubles match after beating World Number 1 (and Wimbledon champion) Ashleigh Barty which probably didn't help her - but Emma wasn't missing. Her consistency was amazing and when put under pressure when serving for the match, she simplified her game and got the match finished.

I'm reluctant to get too excited though, I don't want to get burnt again! Bouchard looked like she would be top 10 consistently for years to come. I really thought Laura Robson was going to be a top 10 player as well, it's a huge shame what's happened to her career.

Edited: giving you benefit of doubt so retracting my previous message.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I just watched the video of Virginia Wade talking abut her on the BBC website. It brought a huge smile to my face. I'd never heard of her, never seen her and certainly was not aware of her recent success. Yet here was a young British girl, possibly making strides to become the best we have ever had, and clearly popular and fun loving with it. Virginia Wade mentioned that she needs to keep away from Social Media/internet.
I then remembered that i'd seen a thread on NSC about her (I'd not opened the thread as i had no idea who it was about) and as is my usual habit I went straight to the last page to get the latest info. All I've seen is comments on Race. Clearly Virginia was right, and it's made me a little sad.

So to get back on topic - who is she beating next?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And yet she had to withdraw from Wimbledon. Why was that?

Not sure I understand the 'and yet'. She's done well 'and yet'?

She was ill. Breathing difficulties.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I just watched the video of Virginia Wade talking abut her on the BBC website. It brought a huge smile to my face. I'd never heard of her, never seen her and certainly was not aware of her recent success. Yet here was a young British girl, possibly making strides to become the best we have ever had, and clearly popular and fun loving with it. Virginia Wade mentioned that she needs to keep away from Social Media/internet.
I then remembered that i'd seen a thread on NSC about her (I'd not opened the thread as i had no idea who it was about) and as is my usual habit I went straight to the last page to get the latest info. All I've seen is comments on Race. Clearly Virginia was right, and it's made me a little sad.

So to get back on topic - who is she beating next?

Half the posts on this page are not available to me becuase I have the posters on ignore.

I suspect they don't consider her to be propper British, like.

It isn't sad. It's pathetic. But the views of such people no longer count. It's their kids and grandkids, if Trained, who are the ones who will feature on the news for sending abusive tweets and making threats :shrug:.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why does everything always have to be about race, or sexuality or whatever? Can't we just enjoy her success with her and root for her?
HTML:

The people on here who refuse to enjoy her success are the ones banging on about identity. They deserve to be rebutted.

I saw the post you directed at me earlier. If it was in relation to a reply to a post like your one above I'll wear it as a badge of honour.

I can see that you mean no harm, but if you are neutral on this you appear to be as ignorant as my mate's parents in the 60s who greeted the un-announced arrival of their neice's (black) boyfriendwith 'he's a b.b.b.b.b.b' (the old man couldn't even get the words out) then mother kindly offered tea, talking loudly about him in the third person.

Sometimes I don't have the energy to patiently explain things to people, and resort to rudeness. Sometimes I regret it.

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Not sure I understand the 'and yet'. She's done well 'and yet'?

She was ill. Breathing difficulties.

Yup, and probably unlikely to ever happen again now she's experienced it once. IIRC Rashford mentioned he'd had something similar happen to him it was a one off that's never happened again.

If, and only if, it becomes a recurrent theme should it be anything for anyone to worry about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports