Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Emiliano Sala [signed by Cardiff, confirmed to have been on missing aircraft]

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Cardiff are being forced by FIFA to pay the transfer fee to Nantes, the first instalment due now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49825166

A good thing. Cardiff’s actions in trying to exploit a legal loophole that didn’t exist, stunk.

Agree, Cardiff's actions were deplorable. That said, it's not clear whether they will be required to pay the balance of the fee which, I understand, the next instalment is due in January. Hope they get stung for the whole lot.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
There's been no mention of any insurance company. With all the 'was he wasn't he' signed as a player, surely FIFA have now declared that he was and as such comes under Cardiff's insurance. It may well be that the insurance company wanted clarification first and thus left Cardiff to fight it out.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree, Cardiff's actions were deplorable. That said, it's not clear whether they will be required to pay the balance of the fee which, I understand, the next instalment is due in January. Hope they get stung for the whole lot.

I think it looks like:

1st instalment now of £5.3m - was due Jan 19
2nd due in Jan 20
3rd due in Jan 21.

Which is all normal. The BBC didn’t give enough clear info.

Tan & :wanker:Warnock :cry::cry:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
There's been no mention of any insurance company. With all the 'was he wasn't he' signed as a player, surely FIFA have now declared that he was and as such comes under Cardiff's insurance. It may well be that the insurance company wanted clarification first and thus left Cardiff to fight it out.
I cant see any insurance paying out on this. It would have to be on the clubs travel insurance and I doubt it covers unlicenced pilots with poor night vision flying at night or poorly maintained aircraft not registered to carry passengers. Not saying any of those apply in this case :wink: The flight wasnt booked by the club either.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Is there anyone who is of the opinion that it's legal, fair or right that Cardiff should be able to say he wasn't signed and they don't owe Nantes the money? Thought not.

Surely if they have to pay the first installment, there is no way they won't have to pay in full

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Neil Warnock, speaking live to a BBC correspondent outside Emiliano Sala's funeral in Argentina on 16th February:

"People ask me why am I here, when Emiliano hadn't even played for Cardiff? Well, he was still my player."

Artist's impression of Cardiff City's lawyer, as he watched Warnock's interview on the 10 o'clock news:

Attachments

• p03lcphh.jpg
    p03lcphh.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 409

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I cant see any insurance paying out on this. It would have to be on the clubs travel insurance and I doubt it covers unlicenced pilots with poor night vision flying at night or poorly maintained aircraft not registered to carry passengers. Not saying any of those apply in this case :wink: The flight wasnt booked by the club either.

What makes you think “it would have to be on the clubs travel insurance” when you also apparently believe “The flight wasnt booked by the club either”.

Think about that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I would not be surprised if Cardiff started civil legal proceedings against MacKay now.

Assuming it was MacKay who bundled the poor lad onto an unsafe aeroplane with a pilot without the appropriate qualifications, you'd have thought there'd be a good case for some sort of claim against him. Wouldn't he have had some sort of responsibility for his client?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What makes you think “it would have to be on the clubs travel insurance” when you also apparently believe “The flight wasnt booked by the club either”.

Think about that.

The club will probably have insurance that covers their players 24/7 whether or not the club organize the travel. They have a £16m asset that they want to protect. Where it might not cover them is if it excludes activities such as skiing or dangerous sports and, in this case, flying in private unauthorised private planes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here