Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Emiliano Martinez

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
What are you basing that on out of interest? He has barely played for Arsenal over the years and after getting his chance at the end of last season made some outrageous saves and kept a load of clean sheets. Commanding keeper as well, fantastic handling.

Mean no disrespect to Ryan as I like him.

Purely my opinion, informed by the football I've watched over a long period of time. I've often been wrong about footballers previously, and I'll continue to be consistently wrong about them for as long as I live. I may be wrong about Martinez and if he keeps playing every week he may very well develop like Nick Pope has done and become one of the most reliable goalkeepers in the country. I didn't see that potential in Pope, and I could be wrong about Martinez as well but I'll always have an opinion and I'm happy to change it, as I have with Pope, if he earns it.

Right now though, I don't think he's better than Ryan and if he's not better, then why sign him?

albionite

May 20, 2009
Purely my opinion, informed by the football I've watched over a long period of time. I've often been wrong about footballers previously, and I'll continue to be consistently wrong about them for as long as I live. I may be wrong about Martinez and if he keeps playing every week he may very well develop like Nick Pope has done and become one of the most reliable goalkeepers in the country. I didn't see that potential in Pope, and I could be wrong about Martinez as well but I'll always have an opinion and I'm happy to change it, as I have with Pope, if he earns it.

Right now though, I don't think he's better than Ryan and if he's not better, then why sign him?

Martinez is better with his feet, with GP liking to play out from the back maybe he suits the system better.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I agree with Stat Brother that this idea of 'competition', in the sense that suddenly Ryan will improve his game, is a fallacy.

However, competition in the sense that if Ryan makes some mistakes or has some bad games, that we have someone that could take his place, is correct. With Button and Steele, we have not had that.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I doubt we will get him, he's guaranteed to be no1 at Villa whilst he'll have to fight to be no1 here. They have worked on a deal for the last few weeks on him and some sources have said he is having a medical this weekend at Villa.

However with this and the enquiries with the Turkish keeper, it does look like we're after another keeper. Also we're willing to spend big for one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I agree with Stat Brother that this idea of 'competition', in the sense that suddenly Ryan will improve his game, is a fallacy.

However, competition in the sense that if Ryan makes some mistakes or has some bad games, that we have someone that could take his place, is correct. With Button and Steele, we have not had that.

Is that not the exact job Walton has been groomed for?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok Stat Brother, everyone else’s opinion is wrong and you are 100% correct...

I'm happy to be wrong, but you seem to be struggling to answer a simple question proving me wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here