Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Emiliano Martinez

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He’s ridiculously good from what I saw of him in the Arsenal games at the end of the season, I thought he’d retain the #1 spot ahead of Leno after those performances.

Count me in.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
You have basically said 3 times Ryan is phoning in his performances because there's nobody else to take his position.
Yet every time I question that you've denied it, only to then say it again.

As someone once said to me:-

I do not get what you're trying to get at.

Ok, well in that case I guess we don't need a new striker or left back because we have players in those positions...Actually, what is the point in having competition in the squad? Clearly isn't any point is there...

Oh, and also I clearly stated I think he gives it his best but clearly that was ignored :lolol:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Only Lewis Dunk is too good to be replaced. It is definitely possible to improve on Maty Ryan, but I'm not a big fan of Martinez. I wouldn't be upset to see him go to Aston Villa.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok, well in that case I guess we don't need a new striker or left back because we have players in those positions...Actually, what is the point in having competition in the squad? Clearly isn't any point is there...

Oh, and also I clearly stated I think he gives it his best but clearly that was ignored :lolol:
and then followed it with "however Button & Steele have hardly kept Ryan on his feet".

But the squad doesn't have enough strikers or a left back that fits the new way of play.

As said, 3 times you've trotted what's become a quickly tired NSC cliche, 'Ryan needs competition':-

- I think Ryan has had it too easy the last few seasons, competition for the shirt would only be positive however only at a sensible price.
- I think he always gives it his best however Button & Steele have hardly kept Ryan on his feet.
- I just think the competition for the number 1 shirt isn't very strong, I do not get what you're trying to get at.

You refuse to accept you're saying (copying others) 'Ryan isn't good enough - get rid'.

It makes no sense.
No other first choice 'keeper is forced to compete for his place.
I can't think of the last time when even the Albion have had a 'keeper war.

It's definitely never one that hasn't been resolved by a 'keeper quickly moving on.
(I have Kuipers, in the back of my mind, as the exception that proves the rule)

So once again I ask:-

Do you honestly believe Ryan would become a better keeper if Martinez was signed?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Only Lewis Dunk is too good to be replaced. It is definitely possible to improve on Maty Ryan, but I'm not a big fan of Martinez. I wouldn't be upset to see him go to Aston Villa.

What are you basing that on out of interest? He has barely played for Arsenal over the years and after getting his chance at the end of last season made some outrageous saves and kept a load of clean sheets. Commanding keeper as well, fantastic handling.

Mean no disrespect to Ryan as I like him.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Has Ryan got a China clause as well?
Ryan’s contract has less than 2 years remaining and it is highly likely that we would have broached the subject of a new contract already. If talks are not going well, then you would expect club would look into getting a new number one in: either as a replacement or to make the point that the club has other options open to them.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/11/emiliano-martinez-not-in-arsenal-squad-and-brighton-join-race-to-sign-him-aston-villa?CMP=share_btn_tw

Brighton have have joined Aston Villa in the race to sign the Arsenal goalkeeper Emiliano Martínez, who is understood not to be in the travelling party to face Fulham on Saturday.

Villa have been favourites to land Martínez if he was made available by Arsenal, who are seeking £20m for the Argentinian. They bid £15m this week but Brighton have exceeded their offer and Martínez will not feature at Craven Cottage in the season opener, with transfer talks ongoing.

Jeff Stelling: 'I did think about resigning but all three urged me not to do anything silly'
Read more
It means Bernd Leno will start the campaign in goal for Arsenal, who have been unwilling to guarantee Martínez the playing time he seeks. Martínez was a revelation when he deputised for the injured Leno at the back end of last season, helping Arsenal to victory in the FA Cup final, and wants No 1 status after a decade as a deputy or on loan. But Mikel Arteta has been unwilling to guarantee that to either of his keepers and Martínez, 28 and desperate for regular football, now looks certain to leave.

Martínez has been in talks with Arsenal over a new contract but the parties are some way apart, with Villa and Brighton both ready to dwarf the salary on offer. Should Arsenal accept an offer, Martínez would be likely to depart next week.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I’d be happy with this. Ryan is by no means a weak link, but it’s definitely an area of the squad we can improve. He looked brilliant last season.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I'd much rather we spent the cash on a striker.

I don't think this would be eating into the striker budget, which'll be set at the price at which the club think they can find the right player

It may be the case that if you added the £18 million or so that we'd pay for Martinez to the striker budget you'd only find the players in that price bracket aren't interested in coming here

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
It may be the case that if you added the £18 million or so that we'd pay for Martinez to the striker budget you'd only find the players in that price bracket aren't interested in coming here

And with wage expectations that would probably blow our wage structure apart.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
20 million is a bit of a risk on a keeper that’s played 3 months in the PL - albeit a good 3 months

Reverse Murray.

Saved a lot of goals just before contract renewal.

"He didn't just go there"
"Oh yes he did"

:lol:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Why can't we sign a keeper AND a striker....oh, and a LWB as well.:clap:
Oh yeah, I remember why.
We're not a top six side with unlimited cash:rolleyes:
Would this keeper come here without guaranteed first team football?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
and then followed it with "however Button & Steele have hardly kept Ryan on his feet".

I can't think of the last time when even the Albion have had a 'keeper war.

It's definitely never one that hasn't been resolved by a 'keeper quickly moving on.
(I have Kuipers, in the back of my mind, as the exception that proves the rule)

Ben Roberts v Kuipers is the only one that springs to mind but I’d argue Kuipers didn’t exactly leave quickly and even won back the jersey.

We all accept competition builds strong performance and that isn’t limited to the outfield 10 but personally I just never saw Button or Steele verbally jousting for the spot. Even though Button didn’t put a foot wrong when Ryan went to the Asian Cup you just knew Hughton would dump him for Ryan straight away.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
100% yes. Ryan has been good but expect he could be better with even stronger competition of which there hasn’t been much.

So you think Ryan isn't giving 100% and he's treading water just because he can?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ben Roberts v Kuipers is the only one that springs to mind but I’d argue Kuipers didn’t exactly leave quickly and even won back the jersey.

We all accept competition builds strong performance and that isn’t limited to the outfield 10 but personally I just never saw Button or Steele verbally jousting for the spot. Even though Button didn’t put a foot wrong when Ryan went to the Asian Cup you just knew Hughton would dump him for Ryan straight away.

Yes as said I did think Kuipers was involved in a bit of jersey to and fro.

I think the whole point most, if not all, keepers aren't competing for their place is because of the unnecessary stress it's puts them under.

To think Martinez arriving would build strong performances from Ryan is still saying you believe he's currently phoning it in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here