Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Emiliano Martinez

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Two first team signings that cost less than £1m in fees. We have brought in nearly £20m in fees.

We have improved a couple of contracts but let Murray, Duffy, Greyhound, Montoya, Mooy, Kayal go.

You were being pedantic but the poster was right. Our level of investment this summer has not been acceptable and is not at a level to see us stay in the PL long term.

Weir, Dendoncker, van Hecke, Elle - some gems for the future.

Even so, we have made £15 million+ this summer so surely there are some funds available for a striker ?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
At least it gave all the Ryan Haters and Heightists something to moan about...

,,,which is nice.
To be fair, Ryan's height is a MASSIVE problem. How many keepers in the top league's are barely 6ft? The only keeper I can think of similar, who had any kind of success at a top league is Cassilas (and he was at Real Madrid).

Happy to be corrected :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To be fair, Ryan's height is a MASSIVE problem. How many keepers in the top league's are barely 6ft? The only keeper I can think of similar, who had any kind of success at a top league is Cassilas (and he was at Real Madrid).

Happy to be corrected :)
He towers over Premier League winning Kasper Schmichel.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Iker Casillas
Victor Valdes
Santiago Canizares
Fabien Barthez
Shay Given
Shay Given is a decent call, the rest of them are a bit meh. I notice the lack of successful premier League goalkeepers.

Anyway, statistically and factually our beloved Maty is 2nd in the league, at goals conceded outside the box. He's not a bad goalkeeper, he's just not big physically tall enough. Like many small basketball players, they'll always be a minority exception.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When multiple World Cup and Champions League winners don't get approval but Shay Given does, it's probably time to bow out

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Shay Given is a decent call, the rest of them are a bit meh. I notice the lack of successful premier League goalkeepers

Casillas and Valdes a bit meh??!!! I'm not having that!

Casillas was the best keeper in the world for a time and Valdes was an excellent keeper for many years for a team who were the best in the world for 3/4 years and possibly of all time.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
He's just another Maty playing for average teams. Show me a goalkeeper (<=6ft) over the last 20 years who has played a significant amount of games for a decent team?

I am very confused, you said 'Ryan's height is a MASSIVE problem.' and then asked for examples of other goalkeepers in top leagues that were his height, which I provided one.

Factually, Sommer is 6ft and has made 200 Bundelsiga appearances playing for a top 4 side.

Obviously it doesn't fit your anti-Ryan stance.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Casillas and Valdes a bit meh??!!! I'm not having that!

Casillas was the best keeper in the world for a time and Valdes was an excellent keeper for many years for a team who were the best in the world for 3/4 years and possibly of all time.
They played in a different league, less physically demanding for the two of the best teams in (arguably) history!

Valdes and Barthez absolutely flopped when they came to England. Casillas decided the safe harbor option to semi retirement, after leaving Madrid.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I am very confused, you said 'Ryan's height is a MASSIVE problem.' and then asked for examples of other goalkeepers in top leagues that were his height, which I provided one.

Factually, Sommer is 6ft and has made 200 Bundelsiga appearances playing for a top 4 side.

Obviously it doesn't fit your anti-Ryan stance.
What's wrong with having an anti Ryan stance? You say it like it's personal or something?

I don't think that he's good enough at this level, top bloke and all that, but that's not in question. If we want to be progressing, we need a better goalkeeper.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
What's wrong with having an anti Ryan stance? You say it like it's personal or something?

I don't think that he's good enough at this level, top bloke and all that, but that's not in question. If we want to be progressing, we need a better goalkeeper.

You can have your opinion, you are entitled to it. But when presented with a fact, you should concede to it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Thought he was top quality yesterday. Villa’s best player. We needed two astonishing finishes to beat him. He is a top 6 EPL keeper along with the last stopper we faced, Pope.

Such a shame we could quite afford him.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
He stopped two possible goals yesterday by being very fast off his line, smothering the chance much further out than a lot of keepers would have risked. Impressive.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He stopped two possible goals yesterday by being very fast off his line, smothering the chance much further out than a lot of keepers would have risked. Impressive.

Maupay with confidence would have skipped around him and rolled it into an empty net. He wouldn't be getting plaudits then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here