[Albion] Emiliano Martinez

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I find it hard to see that we can budget for a new keeper until the actual cost of bringing in a striker and a LWB is known.

Sure, spend what is left on a keeper if that is our want, but we don't actually know how much is left in the kitty to do so - until the finances required for the top 2 targets is known in total.

This. With bells on. It is bizarre IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I find it hard to see that we can budget for a new keeper until the actual cost of bringing in a striker and a LWB is known.

Sure, spend what is left on a keeper if that is our want, but we don't actually know how much is left in the kitty to do so - until the finances required for the top 2 targets is known in total.

I assume because everyone on the list of targets has a limit we are prepared to go to, which according to AN is adhered yo strictly.

Therefore it’s not difficult to work out the maximum we would be spending on a striker and a LB therefore knowing what is left for any additional signings.

If you work on your scenario we would never be able to be working on multiple signings at a time because until each one is completed we wouldn’t know how much we had left.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Interesting that the club's official Instagram account posted a video of one of Maty's great saves last night. Presumably their way of saying that we are NOT bidding for Martinez.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting that the club's official Instagram account posted a video of one of Maty's great saves last night. Presumably their way of saying that we are NOT bidding for Martinez.

I have a theory that we get paid by selling clubs to get involved in bidding for players we don’t actually want but ensuring that the selling club gets top dollar. Three or four more and we’ll have to funds to actually make serious bids :wink:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Considering the club seemingly operate under fairly strict budgets I’d suggest they’ve possibly got set price brackets for each position.
~£25m striker
~£15m left back
~£15m keeper

Or is that too obvious?

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Actually, just making a valid point. You are becoming a stalker.

I love the fact that you seem to genuinely believe that it is actually a valid point and that in your humble opinion Bloom, Ashworth and Potter appear not to have a scooby.

I'm guessing you reckon Johnson isn't a mendacious charlatan too.

Could be wrong. Obvs. Its just a guess.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
gone strangely quiet after yesterdays hullabaloo ..... if reports of him having medical were true I'm sure Villa would not have been shy in announcing his signature by now even if it is a Sunday

perhaps the report he would listen to Albion before deciding has some truth if you ignore Naylor's inside info of no offer being made which is probably as reliable as any of the other twitter stories ....

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
gone strangely quiet after yesterdays hullabaloo ..... if reports of him having medical were true I'm sure Villa would not have been shy in announcing his signature by now even if it is a Sunday

perhaps the report he would listen to Albion before deciding has some truth if you ignore Naylor's inside info of no offer being made which is probably as reliable as any of the other twitter stories ....

I imagine if we are talking to Martinez, as the potential No.1, it has to be handled unbelievably carefully (secretively?) with Maty Ryan.

Especially with the Chelsea game coming up.

If it falls through you've alerted your No.1 goal keeper that you want an upgrade...

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Aston Villa have completed the signing of Emiliano Martinez from Arsenal - contract signed until June 2024. Talks on with Werder for Milot Rashica.

That rashica is very good.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
We couldn’t even sing a fooking autograph at the moment

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Its a no-brainer that this Martinez rumour was started by his agent to make Villa pay up what Arsenal want & to offer the wage his client wants.

A lot of people dont think Ryan is good enough, so they wanted this rumour to be true rather than trying to see it from the perspective of the club:

Bloom, Barber & Potter repeats over and over that the economic situation is difficult, there is already a good, proven first choice keeper and as we most of understand (except for those who believe the recruitment team is just rolling their thumbs) is looking for a striker... you dont need to be a rocket scientist to understand this £20m goalie signing was never going to happen.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Its a no-brainer that this Martinez rumour was started by his agent to make Villa pay up what Arsenal want & to offer the wage his client wants.

A lot of people dont think Ryan is good enough, so they wanted this rumour to be true rather than trying to see it from the perspective of the club:

Bloom, Barber & Potter repeats over and over that the economic situation is difficult, there is already a good, proven first choice keeper and as we most of understand (except for those who believe the recruitment team is just rolling their thumbs) is looking for a striker... you dont need to be a rocket scientist to understand this £20m goalie signing was never going to happen.

Why would villa pay up on the basis of an unfounded claim? Some reputable outlets reported we had agreed terms with the agent/player and were in the mix with Villa so you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to understand this could have happened.

The main reason reported we were not as close in the running is we could not offer a guaranteed number 1 spot. Nothing I have read suggested we were not enquiring which suggests we are in the market for a goalkeeper and I would guess like Martinez a credible option to challenge Ryan for the shirt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports