Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Embarrassing, it’s an absolute disgrace"

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I really, REALLY, don’t like Arteta. I think it’s because I can see through him, he’s another fraud who has lucked out and will spend the next 15 years on the manager gravy chain.
Arsenal were pretty shit last night, this is perfect and classic diversion tactics. They were lucky last season and IMO they won’t finish top 4 this season, despite spending another fortune, but it will be a ref’s fault.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I don't think clear daylight is fair as that is a massive advantage to the attacker. My view would be that it should be the feet that determine offside.
Or what about the part of the body that actually touches the ball needs to be in front of all parts of the last defender? i.e if you head it in it, the line is drawn from your head, if you touch with your left foot, it is the left foot etc.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
”For more than one reason it should not be a goal. “

Well he’s wrong isn’t he. The ball definitely didn’t go out of play. It looks like it wasn’t offside when the last player touched it. It may have been a foul (one reason, not more than one), but not given onfield, and not all of those would get overturned. Hardly the worst var decision.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I really, REALLY, don’t like Arteta. I think it’s because I can see through him, he’s another fraud who has lucked out and will spend the next 15 years on the manager gravy chain.
Arsenal were pretty shit last night, this is perfect and classic diversion tactics. They were lucky last season and IMO they won’t finish top 4 this season, despite spending another fortune, but it will be a ref’s fault.
I think him and his club have been 'embarrassing' and a 'disgrace'.

Which decisions are they not happy about? Which one? They haven't said. Any of those decisions could have gone either way so they haven't got a leg to stand on.

Arteta comes out and says he's embarrassed and 'embarrassing'. How arrogant. You're angry you mug not embarrassed. Hermit.

I agree the referring fraternity are embarrassing and a bunch of Mike Deans but they are all subjective decisions/can't be proven so deal with it. It's not PGMOL's fault you've bought a flappy midget in goal and a show pony for £70m in Havertz. You created virtually nothing on Saturday.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
It's probably already been said but pre VAR while we would often berate the ref at games most of us in calmer moments would have assented that the refs knew far more about the laws of the game than any of us and that mistakes were a natural occurrence in a fast paced and fluid game with many players making it harder by being cheating shits.
Post VAR we have discovered that refs know surprisingly little about the game and are astonishingly inept. In many situations a random decision generator would have a high rating of competence when making allowances for a single possibly obstructed view and the nature of subjective decision making.

It turns out that when a team of supposedly elite referees are afforded plenty of time, multiple angles, slow motion, virtual reality and computer assistance they perform at a level that one suspects could be exceeded by placing a nervous Chihuahua on an annotated mat and seeing where it lays a dog egg.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's probably already been said but pre VAR while we would often berate the ref at games most of us in calmer moments would have assented that the refs knew far more about the laws of the game than any of us and that mistakes were a natural occurrence in a fast paced and fluid game with many players making it harder by being cheating shits.
Post VAR we have discovered that refs know surprisingly little about the game and are astonishingly inept. In many situations a random decision generator would have a high rating of competence when making allowances for a single possibly obstructed view and the nature of subjective decision making.

It turns out that when a team of supposedly elite referees are afforded plenty of time, multiple angles, slow motion, virtual reality and computer assistance they perform at a level that one suspects could be exceeded by placing a nervous Chihuahua on an annotated mat and seeing where it lays a dog egg.
70k pa plus 1.5k/game…….poor old VAR only gets 850/game for sitting on his arse watching telly for a couple of hours

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Remember it is only the top clubs that are affected. If we were in our historical position of 3rd or 4th division we would be all saying “ look at them premier wankers moaning, they should look at us playing Rochdale on a muddy pitch, then they would be proper fans”.
It's more fun betting on the Championship and lower divisions now because once a goal is scored that is final. No dismay at it going to VAR and waiting......and waiting........without knowing even where the offence may have taken place?

The euphoria of a 94th minute goal for a 2-1 win cannot be taken away - even if it is Plymouth v Southampton. Or Portsmouth v Derby. An 8/1 correct score will pay out the same no matter what the level. And that is what football is all about - going ape happily deep into injury time!!!

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Or what about the part of the body that actually touches the ball needs to be in front of all parts of the last defender? i.e if you head it in it, the line is drawn from your head, if you touch with your left foot, it is the left foot etc.
It should be what's on the ground (normally obviously the foot) - which way and how much the player is leaning shouldn't be a consideration.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I know what you mean, too many people put him up on a pedal stool.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
What about a player beating the defender to a cross ?
Does that make it offside?
I think it should be offside if there was a clear advantage gained by the attacking player when the ball was played.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
What about a player beating the defender to a cross ?
Does that make it offside?
I think it should be offside of there was a clear advantage gained by the attacking player when the ball was played.
Sorry double post but can't find a way to delete one.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
On the ball being out or not I suspect it was in, certainty couldn't tell for certain. Just seen this useful video.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
On the ball being out or not I suspect it was in, certainty couldn't tell for certain. Just seen this useful video.

This got me thinking about how many times linos incorrectly call a ball out of play. I suspect there are plenty of times the ball "looks out" as it rolls across the line, but is actually still in.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
These ones where the the ball is just out, or not.

The Mitoma goal in the world cup was the best example, looked pretty out from the first angle, but as we saw, it wasn't.

I don't have much sympathy for Arteta on this. If we're talking a few MM, some decisions will go for you some against you

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Technology exists to determine whether the ball has crossed the line for a goal so I'm baffled why that technology can't be used for the full length of the goal line.

Having seen VAR used in global tournaments and in CL without much controversy at all, I conclude that it probably NOT the VAR technology itself but the quality of the officials using it that is the problem.

All the time the officials refuse to let fans access their conversations in real time (as happens with rugby and cricket) there will always be a niggle that they have something to hide.

VAR in the EPL has always been pretty bad because the standard of officials is so terribly poor. It has however got far, far worse since Howard Webb was appointed as billy big bollox of VAR in the EPL. Webb is great at dishing out his mealy-mouthed apologies but hasn't got the big bollox to sack a couple of the incompetent officials in order to focus the mind of others. Being "given a week off" or having "the humiliation" of having to ref a Championship game is not having the desired impact.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Technology exists to determine whether the ball has crossed the line for a goal so I'm baffled why that technology can't be used for the full length of the goal line.

Having seen VAR used in global tournaments and in CL without much controversy at all, I conclude that it probably NOT the VAR technology itself but the quality of the officials using it that is the problem.

All the time the officials refuse to let fans access their conversations in real time (as happens with rugby and cricket) there will always be a niggle that they have something to hide.

VAR in the EPL has always been pretty bad because the standard of officials is so terribly poor. It has however got far, far worse since Howard Webb was appointed as billy big bollox of VAR in the EPL. Webb is great at dishing out his mealy-mouthed apologies but hasn't got the big bollox to sack a couple of the incompetent officials in order to focus the mind of others. Being "given a week off" or having "the humiliation" of having to ref a Championship game is not having the desired impact.
So given the quality of officials is not likely to improve in the near future what do you think we should do about VAR?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here