Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Elon Musk and Twitter

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The reactions to what Elon Musk is doing are more dystopian than the actions himself. If you get upset with Twitter changing name or logo or log-in requirements, you have clearly used Twitter too much.
It has been trash since day one, used by trash people wanting to be mean to other trash people. Little says as much about someone as "I use Twitter".
IMG_0137.jpeg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
What is it good at? The whole thing was created because a huge sentiment of the population found anything above 280 characters too intellectually challenging to deal with.
Wrong.

It was originally 140 characters.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
1. What value do you get as an individual or us as an society from getting immediate updates rather than properly fact-checked versions of such events an hour or two later? And is it really that time saving considering how much people spend on social media in general?
2. Sure, Facebook algorithms suck now but that wasn't the case when Twitter came.

Maybe I'm trying to be "aloofly superior". Or maybe I just see through these attempts to defend whatever they are addicted to. If you ask people addicted to cannabis about whether it is good or not, they will start telling you about all the diseases it cures and so forth, and if you ask someone addicted to a video game they are going to tell you they do it because "they like it" despite all evidence showing that too much is too much.
Same goes for Twitter. In reality, it is a type of social media where the fast pace and desire to keep arguments short just turn it into a place where people bully each other and throw harsh words and strange rumours around, pretty much cornering people into taking sides on every single subject, which creates this awful burning hole between people. Twitter is one of the main locomotives when it comes to splitting our societies apart.

You can say it is "entertaining", "quick" or whatever, but is it really worth it? Personally I don't doubt for a second that society would be slightly better off without it.
Luckily you are posting this on North Stand Chat, where noone has ever been bullied, no harsh words are ever spoken, people rarely take sides and there are never, ever any strange rumours.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Luckily you are posting this on North Stand Chat, where noone has ever been bullied, no harsh words are ever spoken, people rarely take sides and there are never, ever any strange rumours.
It's pathetic isn't it? Like raging at paper and pens, or the printing press!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
3 words.

World

Bollard

Association.

A few of us on here reside in the Bollard Capital of the World.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
It’s no longer enjoyable to use. Perhaps it never was but all these tweaks and changes meant that for the first time in ages, I didn’t look at it yesterday.

Going to try and stay off it as much as possible.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Complete rubbish.
There are many decent people on Twitter including fellow Albion fans I have met.
Twitter is still good for information especially local traffic issues.
Indeed.

Twitter is exactly as good or as shit as you make it.

People always bang on about it being this hate filled shit-hole...and it is...but I personally don't see any of that shite because my feed is curated carefully. I get news, I get updates from mates, I get Football Manager related stuff and I get comedy bits too.

That's it. Anything else that crops up that I'm not interested in gets blocked.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It’s no longer enjoyable to use. Perhaps it never was but all these tweaks and changes meant that for the first time in ages, I didn’t look at it yesterday.

Going to try and stay off it as much as possible.
I've never understood this take.

On Twitter I have a damn sight more control over what I look at, than I do anywhere else - Inc here.

My Twitter 'bubble' is completely niche, light and funny.
Predominantly, bollard, cycling, films and crisps related with a load of randoms thrown in for good measure.

If you're stoooopid enough to scratch below the surface and actually interact with others then that's entirely on you.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I've never understood this take.

On Twitter I have a damn sight more control over what I look at, than I do anywhere else - Inc here.

My Twitter 'bubble' is completely niche, light and funny.
Predominantly, bollard, cycling, films and crisps related with a load of randoms thrown in for good measure.

If you're stoooopid enough to scratch below the surface and actually interact with others then that's entirely on you.
The 'for you' section has ruined it for me. Everything else is just noise.

FWIW I hardly ever tweet, but still find the whole site very irritating.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Indeed.

Twitter is exactly as good or as shit as you make it.

People always bang on about it being this hate filled shit-hole...and it is...but I personally don't see any of that shite because my feed is curated carefully. I get news, I get updates from mates, I get Football Manager related stuff and I get comedy bits too.

That's it. Anything else that crops up that I'm not interested in gets blocked.

Exactly this, their algorithm works in a way where it mirrors you. Put shit out into the world and it puts shit in your feed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The 'for you' section has ruined it for me. Everything else is just noise.

FWIW I hardly ever tweet, but still find the whole site very irritating.
I just click Following.

Why Musk thinks I want Farage, Grimes etc in my For You shows how it has changed.
August 1st is a Twitter (X) free day.
His advertising revenue is already taking a massive hit.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I just click Following.

Why Musk thinks I want Farage, Grimes etc in my For You shows how it has changed.
August 1st is a Twitter (X) free day.
His advertising revenue is already taking a massive hit.
I'm not sure he's going to care much, all these silly boycotts amuse me.

Personally I'm going to stick to my previous usage of the platform, ie. zero.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Complete rubbish.
There are many decent people on Twitter including fellow Albion fans I have met.
Twitter is still good for information especially local traffic issues.
Exactly this ... for me it's one of the best sources for local info/issues due to how immediate it is.
If I'm having a problem with internet ... or a banking app ... or anything similar ... if I go on twitter I can very quickly work out if it's just my issue or if it's wider.
Have also found it easier to contact some corporates for help/info compared to phoning or emailing etc.
You can easily loose hours on twitter getting very angry if you let yourself. I used to be a bit guilty of that ... but have learnt to move quickly on and ignore the darker side of twitter - or is it X :rolleyes:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm not sure he's going to care much, all these silly boycotts amuse me.

Personally I'm going to stick to my previous usage of the platform, ie. zero.
I've just seen – on 'the platform formally know as Twitter – that there's a suggestion people should boycott Costa because of a cartoon of a trans person. Cue loads of frothing at the gash from people who it has zero impact on whatsoever.

Some of these anti-woke people are really, er 'woke' aren't they? :lolol:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This should be fun. Watching Musk trying to weasel out of or renege on his PR stunt made just hours ago.

Musk boldly posted that if anyone was in anyway prejudiced or had action taken against them based on posts on twitter, Twitter would unequivocally pay their legal fees in defence.

Step forward a claimant who was dismissed by none other than the Trump campaign based on a tweet.

If true (seems so) What's Elon gonna do now caught between his PR stunt and the man he loves to bumlick!

Smart money is on the weasel option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here