Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Elon Musk and Twitter

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cycling Mikey has a new clip, I saw it on Jeremy Vine's twitter feed.

Im pretty sure I can't post it on here - but it's absolutely glorious.
(White Fiat 500)

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Musk has rebranded Twitter as X. The bird has gone too.

New logo:
x.png

All very strange, or good marketing?

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia

New logo:
View attachment 164030

For $40B why not just create your app rather than buy a successful one, alienate everyone on there except the gammons, charge people for a useless service and then completely rebrand? He'd probably have $39B change from the budget.

Always interesting how these people who run around telling everyone what a genius they are, often get found out to be the complete opposite.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

New logo:
View attachment 164030

Through Elon Musk we are able to actually see what would happen if a 14 year old edgy teenager won billions on the lottery.

I find it strangely fascinating.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
For $40B why not just create your app rather than buy a successful one, alienate everyone on there except the gammons, charge people for a useless service and then completely rebrand? He'd probably have $39B change from the budget.

Always interesting how these people who run around telling everyone what a genius they are, often get found out to be the complete opposite.
He's trying to create a super app. There are a few around. I suspect later iterations of X will include payments and other financial services, shopping and other distribution and a lot more. Having Twitter gives him the access to the data of every user and therefore a worldwide user base. It's actually pretty clever.

However, considering he's fired most of Twitter's good engineers, clever is the last thing you'll be if you use the X super app for anything more that catching up on Fesshole and winding up Chelsea fans. You might as well just go out and hand over some money to some random strangers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

New logo:
View attachment 164030

killing a well known and recognised logo and brand is generally not considered good marketing. its big enough it probably doesn't matter though.

its unclear what the purpose is, suggestions there is a bigger move to come including payments. there's a view he has unfinished business from when he ran a payment service before, fancies another go with crypto tech.

just remembered his first big business was X.com. obvious now really.

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
killing a well known and recognised logo and brand is generally not considered good marketing. its big enough it probably doesn't matter though.

its unclear what the purpose is, suggestions there is a bigger move to come including payments. there's a view he has unfinished business from when he ran a payment service before, fancies another go with crypto tech.

Yep, certainly seems like he has broader plans including financial services etc.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

And spacex.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
However, considering he's fired most of Twitter's good engineers, clever is the last thing you'll be if you use the X super app for anything more that catching up on Fesshole and winding up Chelsea fans. You might as well just go out and hand over some money to some random strangers.
I do likeFfesshole, even if an increasing number seem made up. And I've just spent a while winding up a Chelsea fan, so yes those are the things I use twitter for.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
He originally wanted to rebrand PayPal as 'x' but the other board members said no.

As I understand it he wants to create some kind of walled app which you can use for everything (banking, shopping, social, etc etc etc). I am not sure anyone sensible would trust a penny of their money banking with Elon.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
He originally wanted to rebrand PayPal as 'x' but the other board members said no.

As I understand it he wants to create some kind of walled app which you can use for everything (banking, shopping, social, etc etc etc). I am not sure anyone sensible would trust a penny of their money banking with Elon.
He is the embodiment of a Black Mirror antagonist.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
He's trying to create a super app. There are a few around. I suspect later iterations of X will include payments and other financial services, shopping and other distribution and a lot more. Having Twitter gives him the access to the data of every user and therefore a worldwide user base. It's actually pretty clever.

Creating an amazing app for a fraction of the price will give you access to the same amount of data over time. What he's done with Twitter is an absolute shambles and wouldn't surprise me if all the engineers etc he fired are now at Bluesky (which needs to hurry the f*** up) building his conqueror. That said, I do enjoy Fesshole so will hang about a little longer.

Honestly, I'm pretty sad about Twitter because it was the only really useful social media app. Probably because it wasn't really social media, not the way I used it at least.

Heart and Soul

Jul 7, 2023
The reactions to what Elon Musk is doing are more dystopian than the actions himself. If you get upset with Twitter changing name or logo or log-in requirements, you have clearly used Twitter too much.
It has been trash since day one, used by trash people wanting to be mean to other trash people. Little says as much about someone as "I use Twitter".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here