Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

elliott bennett to norwich?

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
And why wouldn't Bennett want to leave?

Norwich are challanging right at the very top of the Championship and will probably be in the Premier League this year or next.
Brighton are attempting to get promoted out of the Third Division.
Any deal would probably see a 50 - 100% increase in wages.

You can see why he would want to go.

IF they get promoted he'd hardly play (you'd expect). It isn't that clear cut and we have a massive, massive factor in our favour and that is Gus Poyet.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I've not seen Harley play that often, but from the credit that Bennett gets and the fact that he and Murray are the only two players that any one else ever seems to have heard of in our division shows how important he is to us. Man of the match today, and completely dominated the first half.

Honestly, if we sold Bennett and brought in Harley with a bit of money spare, i'd be gutted.
If we sold Bennett and brought in Lua Lua AND Harley, i wouldnt mind half as much. I just worry that people underestimate the task it would be to replace someone as influential as Elliot. He must be on what, 17/18 assists already.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
I am seriously worried by this. If we sold Bennett I would no longer be confident of gaining promotion.

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
As per an earlier thread, Our time will come....IF This happens, lets ensure we get some serious cash, I wont be happy either way!!!

mrbigshot

Dec 15, 2009
Mid Sussex
I hope this isn't true, I love bennett to bits and would hate to see him go
but any player to leave Brighton now is a fool! I mean, we've got a great manager, a great ground just around the corner, great squad, i'm 99.9% sure we're get promoted, Brighton are in an amazing position right now and the future is looking very bright

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Elliott Bennett can end the speculation right now by telling us what he plans to do. We fans pay his wages, so have a right to know what's going on, and he's the man best placed to know that.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
At the end of the day, if he likes cooking, we're f***ed.

I still cannot see him going. Upon speaking to the coach in the gym he was very direct and adamant that Bennett was staying. There is bound to be interest, there was massive interest in players like Hooper, Beckford, Le Fondre, Pittman, Snodgrass .... Yet in January last year they all stayed. It is easier for managers to hold onto the top guys in the mid season window, especially those at the top with a spanking new ground on the way, and when there is emphasis to stay the top players generally do.

Squad players such as Elphick are likely to go and get games on loan, but it is ludicrous for a club like us who are in a good financial state and in no need to accept an offer to let one of the brightest players go. Bennett is very happy here, even though people may be sceptical the signing of a three and a half year deal and the fact he has been looking at houses suggests this but the main fact is he is playing and enjoying his football! End of on that front. Why, upon signing a new deal and a stadium on the way would he want to go and play for Norwich? Okay, they are a fantastically well managed team, yet he could well end up playing second fiddle to Hoolahan etc...

IF Bennett left now it would be a bad move. By all means, the lad deserves a crack at the topbut a move at the end of the season if he still sees fit would be a much better decision from him. As I have said, I doubt he is going anywhere. The club are in a fantastic position on and off the field and he in now way has to be sold and the club certainly are not willing to sell him. I am more concerned about the fact we have left our top goalscorers contract un-attended to in the window where we ay, should a good offer come in, be forced to sell due to the prospect of losing him for nothing.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
I still cannot see him going. Upon speaking to the coach in the gym he was very direct and adamant that Bennett was staying. There is bound to be interest, there was massive interest in players like Hooper, Beckford, Le Fondre, Pittman, Snodgrass .... Yet in January last year they all stayed. It is easier for managers to hold onto the top guys in the mid season window, especially those at the top with a spanking new ground on the way, and when there is emphasis to stay the top players generally do.

Squad players such as Elphick are likely to go and get games on loan, but it is ludicrous for a club like us who are in a good financial state and in no need to accept an offer to let one of the brightest players go. Bennett is very happy here, even though people may be sceptical the signing of a three and a half year deal and the fact he has been looking at houses suggests this but the main fact is he is playing and enjoying his football! End of on that front. Why, upon signing a new deal and a stadium on the way would he want to go and play for Norwich? Okay, they are a fantastically well managed team, yet he could well end up playing second fiddle to Hoolahan etc...

IF Bennett left now it would be a bad move. By all means, the lad deserves a crack at the topbut a move at the end of the season if he still sees fit would be a much better decision from him. As I have said, I doubt he is going anywhere. The club are in a fantastic position on and off the field and he in now way has to be sold and the club certainly are not willing to sell him. I am more concerned about the fact we have left our top goalscorers contract un-attended to in the window where we ay, should a good offer come in, be forced to sell due to the prospect of losing him for nothing.

PROFOUNDLY reassuring post

He has always sounded like an earnest and sincere lad. There are many reasons to stay with Brighton. Add these with a commitment by the board to keep him at all costs... He will stay!

My fingers remain crossed... but I hope and believe we are all just unused to experiencing the January jitters as a club with a lot of players proving themselves valuable as we sit at the top of the league.

Masky

Jan 15, 2011
Honestly - if they offer double the money why wouldn't he want to go ... footballers life is short - Bennett is a great player for us and we should want the best for him. I don't want him to go but believe we have enough talent in depth to get on with it....

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Really really hope he doesn't go. He's our best and most important player. But surely undeniable Norwich have a lot to offer him, now. A good, stadium which is always full; a better standard of football; a chance to play in the Premiership and he'll earn 2 or 3 times the money he's on now.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Really really hope he doesn't go. He's our best and most important player. But surely undeniable Norwich have a lot to offer him, now. A good, stadium which is always full; a better standard of football; a chance to play in the Premiership and he'll earn 2 or 3 times the money he's on now.

He'll have all that anyway in a few months time. Elliott's agent might not be as patient as that though.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Norwich boss Paul Lambert is hoping to extend Arsenal loanee Henri Lansbury's stay at the club.

The 20-year-old, who played for Norwich in his youth career, has been one of the bright points in a season that has seen Norwich in the mix for Championship glory.

With his side sitting just five points from top, Lambert is keen to extend the loan spell of Lansbury as the Canaries challenge for promotion to the top flight.

The fate of the player now lies with parent club boss Arsene Wenger, yet Lambert hopes the chance of regular football will tempt the Gunners boss to allow his starlet to stay at Carrow Road for the rest of the season.

"That was Henri's final game of the current loan spell," said Lambert.

"We'd like to keep him here and the good news is that he would like to stay as well, hopefully for the rest of the season.

"But obviously he's an Arsenal player and it will be up to the main man [Arsene Wenger] what happens next.

"All we can do is get in touch and hopefully something can be sorted out."

Keeping their options open ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here