Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Electronic/Dance Music

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve been a fan since Drone Logic, have all his material on vinyl and seen him DJ a few times....fan boy :smile: Drone Logic has a slight “indie cross over” feel and is quite bouncy in parts, then he went off and did more conventional techno and drone/ambient stuff. He also did a brilliant ambient/synth album with Alessandro Cortnini last year.....which was one of my favourite albums of 2020. I had the good fortune to meet and chat with him a few years ago....very humble but enthusiastic person.

I'm going to check that out. Currently playing a whole load of Bicep stuff whilst I 'WFH'.

I love it where either youtube's algorithms or the good people of NSC such as @HWT put me onto to tracks/songs that I fall in love with forever.

Where you don't own vinyl, what's your method of storing tracks ad infinitum, so that they don't disappear from playlists in a streaming service? [Where the original artist or just a punter posting them, has a purge of those who've saved 'their' video].

Very rudimentary for me, I have a load of my youtube playlists built up over 15 years, and a spreadsheet where I can be arsed, so that I never forget something special. A vast array of tracks.

Btw, this took my fancy on first listening, uplifting from 1:21 :smile:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just debuted on BBC 6Music. I love it.

One of 11 tracks on an album coming shortly.

As HT says, Drone Logic is a cracker.
I'm not quite so keen on that Bicep album, seems somewhat derivative and, if I wanted to, I'd prefer to listen to Orbital, etc instead.
Andy Stott is worth checking out.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
As HT says, Drone Logic is a cracker.
I'm not quite so keen on that Bicep album, seems somewhat derivative and, if I wanted to, I'd prefer to listen to Orbital, etc instead.
Andy Stott is worth checking out.

That's exactly how I feel about the Bicep new stuff. I've tried but it always feels like a different version of Orbital.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where you don't own vinyl, what's your method of storing tracks ad infinitum, so that they don't disappear from playlists in a streaming service?

I am a bit of a nerd/collector so I always buy a physical copy, mainly vinyl these days. I do use Spotify, but as a secondary (or more practical) means to listen to music. By “more practical” if I’m running or Im out of the apartment etc. And yes, I have a rather large and ever expanding record and CD collection :lolol:. I truly love music, both recorded and live, and whilst I miss gigs I have spent the past year investing in the recorded side of my passion; it has kept me sane and I have actually enjoyed many evenings sitting at home with some beers/wine and playing my records. One small positive of lockdowns.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To [MENTION=316]Albion Dan[/MENTION] and [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION], I've been listening to Bicep tracks for a couple of hours.

Everyone warms to different music, for me their catalogue merges into a homogenous ambient background, no goosebumps moments. Unlike that brilliant Daniel Avery track.

Although Kites and Spring are rather nice.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am a bit of a nerd/collector so I always buy a physical copy, mainly vinyl these days. I do use Spotify, but as a secondary (or more practical) means to listen to music. By “more practical” if I’m running or Im out of the apartment etc. And yes, I have a rather large and ever expanding record and CD collection :lolol:. I truly love music, both recorded and live, and whilst I miss gigs I have spent the past year investing in the recorded side of my passion; it has kept me sane and I have actually enjoyed many evenings sitting at home with some beers/wine and playing my records. One small positive of lockdowns.

I think we may've had this discussion before .... I was the same and still have all my vinyls from 1975 up to the 80's in great nick. Even as a kid, I looked after stuff. Then belateldy in the 90's I got into CD albums, singles and compilations such as trance stuff. Ditching vinyl, although I believed throughout that the sound was better than CD ... it seemed eventually everyone came round to loving vinyl again.

Music's everything isn't it. I listen for hours most days, a bug I got off of my Dad and older brothers.

Have you been on the German or Berlin State equivalent of furloughed pay?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think we may've had this discussion before .... I was the same and still have all my vinyls from 1975 up to the 80's in great nick. Even as a kid, I looked after stuff. Then belateldy in the 90's I got into CD albums, singles and compilations such as trance stuff. Ditching vinyl, although I believed throughout that the sound was better than CD ... it seemed eventually everyone came round to loving vinyl again.

Music's everything isn't it. I listen for hours most days, a bug I got off of my Dad and older brothers.

Have you been on the German or Berlin State equivalent of furloughed pay?

My parents, especially my father, were heavily into music so it was always around the house and I caught the bug at a very early age. It played a part all through my childhood, schooling, my formative years (and some common acquaintances we have previously discussed) and right up to the present day with many friendships based on music one way or another; my current consumption is higher than it has ever been. One of the regrets was being convinved CDs were the future and flogging my vinyl...rebuying key albums on CD with the proceeds. I then went back to vinyl gradually around 10 years or so ago and am around 90% vinly with new purchases.

About 10-5 years ago I decided to make a list and start the process of buying back all this vinyl; paying 60 pounds for a rubbish Saxon album is painful BUT I this is the price one pays for earlier mistakes :smile: An upside was that I replenished my Rush albums a short while before Neal Peart died; I had a nice evening listening to this again and remembering my youth. I am about half way through this process and it will be fun when I get down to buying to the 7's from my very young childhood.

And yes, to me it is everything, without doubt the thing which keeps me going, and I listen to around 3-4 albums a day on average.

I'm very fortunate to have been working throughout the pandemic, I work remotely and I can always listen to music during some of my working day. I also plough through albums when I am out running.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My parents, especially my father, were heavily into music so it was always around the house and I caught the bug at a very early age. It played a part all through my childhood, schooling, my formative years (and some common acquaintances we have previously discussed) and right up to the present day with many friendships based on music one way or another; my current consumption is higher than it has ever been. One of the regrets was being convinved CDs were the future and flogging my vinyl...rebuying key albums on CD with the proceeds. I then went back to vinyl gradually around 10 years or so ago and am around 90% vinly with new purchases.

About 10-5 years ago I decided to make a list and start the process of buying back all this vinyl; paying 60 pounds for a rubbish Saxon album is painful BUT I this is the price one pays for earlier mistakes :smile: An upside was that I replenished my Rush albums a short while before Neal Peart died; I had a nice evening listening to this again and remembering my youth. I am about half way through this process and it will be fun when I get down to buying to the 7's from my very young childhood.

And yes, to me it is everything, without doubt the thing which keeps me going, and I listen to around 3-4 albums a day on average.

I'm very fortunate to have been working throughout the pandemic, I work remotely and I can always listen to music during some of my working day. I also plough through albums when I am out running.

With school mates in the late 70's and early 80', we used to scour the Madeira Hotel records fairs and the myriad of tiny record shops in the North Laine for gems. Very worthwhile, I got a load of early synth, post punk and New Wave stuff, some in beautiful coloured vinyls. The synth thing naturally evolved into 80's and 90's dance music, as the genres soon overlapped. Thanks imho to the brilliance of Moroder, Vangelis, New Order, Vince Clarke, Bobby O and some other german and italian producers. zyx records was incredible for me. I was lucky that my closest friends had that identical journey. With a friend since I was 10, we still share these tastes, pass on new artists.

You were a bit later and initially a headbanger :lolol:. I've never stepped inside The Hungry Years, I detested heavy rock and heavy metal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With school mates in the late 70's and early 80', we used to scour the Madeira Hotel records fairs and the myriad of tiny record shops in the North Laine for gems. Very worthwhile, I got a load of early synth, post punk and New Wave stuff, some in beautiful coloured vinyls. The synth thing naturally evolved into 80's and 90's dance music, as the genres soon overlapped. Thanks imho to the brilliance of Moroder, Vangelis, New Order, Vince Clarke, Bobby O and some other german and italian producers. zyx records was incredible for me. I was lucky that my closest friends had that identical journey. With a friend since I was 10, we still share these tastes, pass on new artists.

You were a bit later and initially a headbanger :lolol:. I've never stepped inside The Hungry Years, I detested heavy rock and heavy metal.

Initial interests was stuff like Abba, Showaddywaddy, Grease but this quickly moved aside for punk, post punk and via a new friendship circle I got heavily into rock and metal early and mid 80s and yes I did go to the Hungry Years......and I also had hair. I went to uni in the late 80s and my interests really broadened with not only meeting new people but also the times, rock was diminishing but indie and rave was popular. This started a love affair with indie, electronic and dance music which is still with me today....but my tastes are now very broad and encompass many forms nowadays often triggered by small and intersting new scenes. An example of this is the south London jazz thing e.g. Moses Boyd and the US west coast pysch garage thing e.g. Thee Oh Sees. I still listen to rock/metal from time to time and I still see a few bands from my youth. I reckon I see about 25-30 gigs a year, or did, and it can be anything from a small band with a handful of people like Girl Band, Weyes Blood, Blanck Mass or Lust For Youth or a full on stadium gig. Berlin has a lot of clubs, which are thankfully age democratic and usually a far older and very different crowd than the UK, so I get out to see DJs as well.

One thing you might also notice is that whilst I can start an argument about almost anything.........I rarely, if ever, criticise anyone for their taste in music. It all has a part to play and my views and the manner I engage with music are no more valid than anyone elses.

I am now done with work for the week so I think it's home time, a few beers and some music.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

As an aside, viewing HWT’s record collection is on my bucket list :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Initial interests was stuff like Abba, Showaddywaddy, Grease but this quickly moved aside for punk, post punk and via a new friendship circle I got heavily into rock and metal early and mid 80s and yes I did go to the Hungry Years......and I also had hair. I went to uni in the late 80s and my interests really broadened with not only meeting new people but also the times, rock was diminishing but indie and rave was popular. This started a love affair with indie, electronic and dance music which is still with me today....but my tastes are now very broad and encompass many forms nowadays often triggered by small and intersting new scenes. An example of this is the south London jazz thing e.g. Moses Boyd and the US west coast pysch garage thing e.g. Thee Oh Sees. I still listen to rock/metal from time to time and I still see a few bands from my youth. I reckon I see about 25-30 gigs a year, or did, and it can be anything from a small band with a handful of people like Girl Band, Weyes Blood, Blanck Mass or Lust For Youth or a full on stadium gig. Berlin has a lot of clubs, which are thankfully age democratic and usually a far older and very different crowd than the UK, so I get out to see DJs as well.

One thing you might also notice is that whilst I can start an argument about almost anything.........I rarely, if ever, criticise anyone for their taste in music. It all has a part to play and my views and the manner I engage with music are no more valid than anyone elses.

I am now done with work for the week so I think it's home time, a few beers and some music.

I loved ABBA then and still do. So many brilliant songs, they’ve stood test of time.

Have you got an expensive record deck? I had a linear Technics deck for 30 years, finally replacing it with a basic Rega.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Interested to see what [MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION] thinks of this. Stumbled across if from my liking of the Russian producer/remixer Izzamuzzic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcunXhbCLrw

Not familiar with the originals. This mix to me is gobsmacking.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Interested to see what [MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION] thinks of this. Stumbled across if from my liking of the Russian producer/remixer Izzamuzzic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcunXhbCLrw

Not familiar with the originals. This mix to me is gobsmacking.

Bit late to reply, my bad :down:

I’ve never been a massive Tupac fan (which I know is sacrilegious as a hip-hop fan) but this slaps. Great remix!

(Just stuck a song in the best song heard today thread I think you’ll really like if you liked the Ocean Wisdom/ FS&HG tracks. :kiss:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just stumbled across this chap from North Macedonia, as part of a jape, and have spent the last two hours down wormhole. This is Juno Reactor circa 2000 writ anew. I'm loving it :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhtazAAk5QE

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here