Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Electric Cars

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I make no excuse for the self-promotion, but this story went live this morning. Scroll down to see that five out of seven category winners are EVs. Clearly there are challenges, but 29 industry experts (and me!) seem to agree that the vehicles themselves are moving in the right direction.

Definitely moving in the right direction, except one - they are all getting too big, which must reduce range. Currently happy with my 2022 Peugeot e208, but will be looking around next year. By that time, they’ll all be massive tanks! Would love an electric Honda Jazz.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Definitely moving in the right direction, except one - they are all getting too big, which must reduce range. Currently happy with my 2022 Peugeot e208, but will be looking around next year. By that time, they’ll all be massive tanks! Would love an electric Honda Jazz.
They aren't all getting bigger. It's just the battery and motor tech are improving enough to make building bigger cars more viable.

At the other end, you've got Renault's new Renault 5 coming (which will be V2G enabled), a new Tesla that'll be smaller than the Model 3, etc.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
They aren't all getting bigger. It's just the battery and motor tech are improving enough to make building bigger cars more viable.

At the other end, you've got Renault's new Renault 5 coming (which will be V2G enabled), a new Tesla that'll be smaller than the Model 3, etc.
To be fair, it’s not just EVs, it’s also a general trend in ICE vehicles. But not everyone wants bigger cars. Will be interesting to see what’s around when we’re looking to replace the e208.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
To be fair, it’s not just EVs, it’s also a general trend in ICE vehicles. But not everyone wants bigger cars. Will be interesting to see what’s around when we’re looking to replace the e208.

Yeah, I need to start to keep my eyes on what new models are launching. I extended the lease on my Zoe to the max 5 years, but it's due to go back in 18 months so it won't be long before I need to start seriously looking at what will replace it.

We're right on the cusp of big changes for EV's I think - vehicle-to-grid is coming, Octopus have recently announced their "Power Pack" tariff that means free charging for EV's overnight (just have to willing to send the energy back to the grid during the day if the car isn't in use), solid-state batteries are coming ... it really does feel like the next 2-3 years will see a big swing in favour of EV's over ICE.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
To be fair, a lot of people DO want bigger cars. In the case of EV9, Kia has got in before a lot of the competition by offering a genuine electric seven-seater. With quality that is on a par with a Discovery – and almost certainly better reliability.

Manufacturers have gone EV with volume products – typically medium-sized crossovers/SUVs – and are now looking at other areas such as saloons (Volkswagen ID.7), smaller SUVs (Honda eNy1, BYD Dolphin, etc) and larger cars such as EV9.

There isn't a lot of profit to be made in small cars and that, coupled with less demand, is always going to be an issue when it comes to small EVs. That, plus the fact that fleets make up the vast majority of EV sales/registrations and there isn't a lot of appitite for small cars in that sector. There are, however, options: Honda e; new MINI Electric; Corsa Electric; Fiat 500e and plenty more to come. Yes, they are bigger than the ICE equivalent, but that's been a trend from WAY before battery power was popular.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
To be fair, a lot of people DO want bigger cars. In the case of EV9, Kia has got in before a lot of the competition by offering a genuine electric seven-seater. With quality that is on a par with a Discovery – and almost certainly better reliability.

Manufacturers have gone EV with volume products – typically medium-sized crossovers/SUVs – and are now looking at other areas such as saloons (Volkswagen ID.7), smaller SUVs (Honda eNy1, BYD Dolphin, etc) and larger cars such as EV9.

There isn't a lot of profit to be made in small cars and that, coupled with less demand, is always going to be an issue when it comes to small EVs. That, plus the fact that fleets make up the vast majority of EV sales/registrations and there isn't a lot of appitite for small cars in that sector. There are, however, options: Honda e; new MINI Electric; Corsa Electric; Fiat 500e and plenty more to come. Yes, they are bigger than the ICE equivalent, but that's been a trend from WAY before battery power was popular.

We all want more space inside the car, but want it to be smart car size when it comes to parking/getting down single track lanes.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It's staggering to see Fiestas the size of a older focus or Polo bigger than an older golf etc

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

V2G that's potentially a bit of a game changer

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Will need to start researching over the summer as coming to the end of my lease (petrol) in December.

WFH mainly these days so am only doing 8,000 miles a year. Work have just signed up for the Octopus scheme and as a higher tax payer looks like the financial benefit is there as well. Would be looking to install a home charger as well, so highly likely we make the switch

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I make no excuse for the self-promotion, but this story went live this morning. Scroll down to see that five out of seven category winners are EVs. Clearly there are challenges, but 29 industry experts (and me!) seem to agree that the vehicles themselves are moving in the right direction.

I'm interested in your industry-insider view on how the EV market has shaken up, or not, where legacy car manufacturers sit in the market.

For example, I've seen Kia EV6s about a bit and it's a very attractive car with a premium look to it.

On the other hand, I really can't recall seeing much if any EVs from the previous premium players such as BMW, Mercedes and Audi. They may very well exist, of course, as I'm just talking about what I notice on the road when I'm out and about.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm interested in your industry-insider view on how the EV market has shaken up, or not, where legacy car manufacturers sit in the market.

For example, I've seen Kia EV6s about a bit and it's a very attractive car with a premium look to it.

On the other hand, I really can't recall seeing much if any EVs from the previous premium players such as BMW, Mercedes and Audi. They may very well exist, of course, as I'm just talking about what I notice on the road when I'm out and about.
I don't think you're looking hard enough! There are plenty of Audi Q4 e-trons, Mercedes-Benz EQCs and BMW i4s around, for example.

But the 'newer' brands - Hyundai, Kia and - to a certain extent - China's BYD have moved into the premium segment with often more affordable products. Or, at least, have fully loaded base specs and high quality materials in the cabin. I'm not 100% sure on the actual numbers but there does seem to be a bit of a new wave coming. Where that leaves the likes of Ford - which seems to have concentrated on electric vans, not so much cars (yet) and the Stellantis brands, who knows...?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't think you're looking hard enough! There are plenty of Audi Q4 e-trons, Mercedes-Benz EQCs and BMW i4s around, for example.

But the 'newer' brands - Hyundai, Kia and - to a certain extent - China's BYD have moved into the premium segment with often more affordable products. Or, at least, have fully loaded base specs and high quality materials in the cabin. I'm not 100% sure on the actual numbers but there does seem to be a bit of a new wave coming. Where that leaves the likes of Ford - which seems to have concentrated on electric vans, not so much cars (yet) and the Stellantis brands, who knows...?
You're probably right, but I don't spend much time driving. Maybe I am seeing the German EVs but simply don't know they are EVs!

That Kia does keep catching my eye as a very smart-looking car though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You're probably right, but I don't spend much time driving. Maybe I am seeing the German EVs but simply don't know they are EVs!

That Kia does keep catching my eye as a very smart-looking car though.
It might be something to do with the fact that the three big German brands effectively create electric versions of their existing models - an i4 is basically and 4 Series with a battery, for example. Whereas, the Koreans have gone with (mostly, so far) a blank sheet of paper and come up with the IONIQ (Hyundai) and EV (Kia) vehicles from scratch - so they naturally stand out as different and new-looking.

Both approaches make a lot of sense when you look at the demands/expectations of drivers.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A welcome addition, although looks like the price point is being achieved by skimping big time on the battery / range.
Sure, but if people are not doing many miles and have access to either work or home charging – or just need to charge, say once a week – it's a good option, no?

The whole EV industry is maturing. Clearly, there are teething problems – and part of that is having a wide enough spread of vehicles that cater to all kinds of drivers.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm really hoping the trend of EVs relying on touchscreens for all the controls is coming to an end. A touchscreen is fine for in-car entertainment but trying to press on a screen to adjust things is a real pain when you're driving.

I have noticed in a lot of recent new EV reviews they are starting to move back to having physical buttons and dials for things like climate control. Hopefully they've finally realised touchscreens suck in cars.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I'm really hoping the trend of EVs relying on touchscreens for all the controls is coming to an end. A touchscreen is fine for in-car entertainment but trying to press on a screen to adjust things is a real pain when you're driving.

I have noticed in a lot of recent new EV reviews they are starting to move back to having physical buttons and dials for things like climate control. Hopefully they've finally realised touchscreens suck in cars.
Euro NACP are trying encourage car manufacturers to go back to switches, screen controls are at least as dangerous as mobile phones if not worse with drivers needing to take their eyes off the road for up to 40 seconds. Guess some will try out voice controls, could be a disaster with kids and jokers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

my Dad went over 6mths with heater either off or full blast because he didn't know how to change it on the touchscreen - select the heater, swipe up/down for temp, left right for flow control. menu diving is not suitable for driving!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here