Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Electoral fraud

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Yes, I raised this with the staff at the polling station. There is NOTHING to stop me rocking up first thing, vote using my neighbour's address, watch to see if the staff have changed in the evening, and then going again to vote using my address. I don't even have to take the polling card with me. truly amazing. Nice to have a system that works on trust, I suppose, and what I am describing is presumably rare (?) but why be loose about security, when at least proof of ID, even it is a Utility Bill in your name, is easy to bring along and is surely at the very least better than nothing.

The staff won’t have changed as they are there for the duration. I doubt they would notice you had been in earlier, especially on a busy day, but what about your neighbour when he turned up to vote and was told he had already voted?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We have been quietly saying these things for years! In the case of climate change DECADES, but absolutely NOTHING has been done. We are nearing the do or die phase so your suggestion is to keep on at the failed quiet nicey nicely approach? All we have is last ditch attempts now, so sorry if thw younger generations are bit ****ing pissed off!

Nobody is suggesting it's wrong for anyone, let alone the younger generations, to be pissed off about the inaction of numerous governments around climate change. But your tactic of going around and calling everyone ****s and racists achieves nothing ….. well except getting you banned. You weren't banned for your views, you were banned for how you expressed them and being abusive about others views.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The staff won’t have changed as they are there for the duration. I doubt they would notice you had been in earlier, especially on a busy day, but what about your neighbour when he turned up to vote and was told he had already voted?

Thanks -very long day for them! Yes, absolutely; he/she would be really angry, I assume, which is why I find the somewhat lax rules so strange.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I looked on their website and they will investigate only if someone;

Pretended to be someone else and used their vote
Made false statements about the personal character of a candidate
Influenced someone to vote against their will

There is nothing about registering at an address that is not yours and voting. Perhaps this would explain their claim of low levels of voter fraud when the true scale could be enormous.

Overseas voters are allowed to vote using the last address they where registered at. I use an address I have not lives at for 7 years. I wonder if it’s related to this?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
So how do housebound disabled people vote under your system of no postal votes

Specially trained voting squirrels with voting slip saddle bags

Security needs 'updating' as far as voting is concerned, I also agree, if you piss of to live somewhere else then you can't vote here. Mrs Zef is From 'Straya, votes here but not there.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Overseas voters are allowed to vote using the last address they where registered at. I use an address I have not lives at for 7 years. I wonder if it’s related to this?

I didn’t know that. When we lived abroad we didn’t vote. Actually, I don’t think that is the issue because I know the names of the people who lived at my address over the last 25 years prior to our moving in.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I also agree, if you piss of to live somewhere else then you can't vote here.

Why not? If you have a U.K. passport then at the very least you should have a say in which government is to look after you..or whatever the wording is in the document.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I didn’t know that. When we lived abroad we didn’t vote. Actually, I don’t think that is the issue because I know the names of the people who lived at my address over the last 25 years prior to our moving in.

Yes, this is the case. The polling card should be sent to named proxy voter, or the postal voter to the actual voter, so nothing should go to the former address. But I wouldn’t put it past the council to scree this up. Given what you’ve said, I doubt this is the case though.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It has always amazed me that all you have to do to vote is rock up to the polling station with a card that came through the door, no other ID required. Ridiculous really.

You don't even need to bring your card which it is not mandatory, there is nothing to stop someone stealing a vote at another polling station where they know someone live. Just get up early and take their vote

ID is controversial for sure, some people don't have a passport or driving licence. There is an argument this is an attack on the poor

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Well, yes I did copy it from their website. I did think of calling the police but the lady from the council claimed that no fraud had taken place as it may simply have been a mistake that led someone to register to vote using my address (!). She claimed that fraud will only have taken place if that person turns up at the polling station to vote, using my address. She was unable to confirm that there would be a team waiting to swoop on the fraudster on Election Day.
I was a bit worried that Norfolk police would take a similar view but I will call tomorrow and see what happens.

She does have a point. I know it's nice to feel like a sleuth that has rumbled a conspiracy but I think occam's razor might need to be applied here.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
ID is controversial for sure, some people don't have a passport or driving licence. There is an argument this is an attack on the poor

Tell that to the rest of Europe.

I'm pretty sure that with the exception of Ireland and Denmark all European Countries have ID cards.

IMO, ID cards, issued free and introduced over say a two year perid should be mandatory - they could be combined as donor cards etc. too

As for Electoral fraud - having the ability to just turn at a polling station - without any form of ID - and without your polling card is a joke.

If it were Zimbabwe we'd all be screaming electoral fraud.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
They should find this person and execute them as a lesson to any other electoral fraudsters!!!!

:D:D

death.jpg

reminds me of this.... death is not enough a 50 dollar fine as well.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Why not? If you have a U.K. passport then at the very least you should have a say in which government is to look after you..or whatever the wording is in the document.

I guess there are a lot of grey areas, but basically, if I upped sticks to Aus/Spain wherever, to live contribute etc, I'd expect or like to have a say in what happens there, but veto my right to have a say in whats going on in a different country I have no involvment in. Seem to me too many peopl want the best of both worlds in a very selfish way . . .like retirees in Spain as an example.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I guess there are a lot of grey areas, but basically, if I upped sticks to Aus/Spain wherever, to live contribute etc, I'd expect or like to have a say in what happens there, but veto my right to have a say in whats going on in a different country I have no involvment in. Seem to me too many peopl want the best of both worlds in a very selfish way . . .like retirees in Spain as an example.

So you rock up somewhere and “expect” a say in how they govern their country? Hmmm. Okay.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The words in a U.K. passport state:

“ citizen has a right to travel freely and has the right to protection and assistance.“

Now, surely every U.K. citizen and passport holder should have the right to decide which government home office provides this protection and assistance? You don’t just lose your citizenship the minute you leave the U.K.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The words in a U.K. passport state:

“ citizen has a right to travel freely and has the right to protection and assistance.“

Now, surely every U.K. citizen and passport holder should have the right to decide which government home office provides this protection and assistance? You don’t just lose your citizenship the minute you leave the U.K.

Nobody said anything about citizenship . . . . If I go to Aus I can't immediately get involved and wouldn't expect to. clearly there is a grace period . . . 2-5 year seems to be normal . . . . .If you've lived lock stock in Spain or wherever for 5 years or more, I don't think you deserve the right to vote in a UK election, its none of your buisiness any more. . . . . clearly most people who do live abroad ( and I know a few ) keep a place here, and/or visit home ground just enough to be able to take advantage of all the unique UK offerings . . . . . I know someone who's lived and runs a business in the US for 20 years . . . .came back for an op on his hand on the NHS. despite being 60 he's still registered at his mums house. cheeky IMO. There must be thousands like him in Spain.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

I'm the same. I'm registered at my last UK address from several years ago which I no longer have any connection with. That's how it works.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Agree, doesn't matter where you reside, you need a government that looks after your interests. Especially British nationals living in the EU who have been treated disgracefully by the current government

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here