Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Electoral fraud

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Yes, I have always found that rather odd too. In South Africa you have to show your ID book and once you have voted you have a a small bit of indelible ink put a fingernail to stop people voting twice.

Makes much more sense. We are ridiculously naive and I don't like it.

It always makes me think of my grandfathers and their brothers - they fought for this slackness?!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I looked on their website and they will investigate only if someone;

Pretended to be someone else and used their vote
Made false statements about the personal character of a candidate
Influenced someone to vote against their will

There is nothing about registering at an address that is not yours and voting. Perhaps this would explain their claim of low levels of voter fraud when the true scale could be enormous.

You've just cut and pasted that from their website. Why don't you report it to the Police, I would if it happened at my address.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I see no problem with voter fraud as long as it does not favour the Tories or brexit.
Those ***** cheat all the time so it is only fair to try to even things up somewhat.

Conservatives look forward to your X

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You've just cut and pasted that from their website. Why don't you report it to the Police, I would if it happened at my address.

Well, yes I did copy it from their website. I did think of calling the police but the lady from the council claimed that no fraud had taken place as it may simply have been a mistake that led someone to register to vote using my address (!). She claimed that fraud will only have taken place if that person turns up at the polling station to vote, using my address. She was unable to confirm that there would be a team waiting to swoop on the fraudster on Election Day.
I was a bit worried that Norfolk police would take a similar view but I will call tomorrow and see what happens.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
we may have Identity cards by the next election, is a Conservative policy. home office has been pushing this for decades and seem to have found a purpose.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I see no problem with voter fraud as long as it does not favour the Tories or brexit.
Those ***** cheat all the time so it is only fair to try to even things up somewhat.

Of all the posters on here, you must contribute the least in the way of good sense, tolerance, moderation and fair play. I can only assume that you get a kick out of annoying people -very sad and somewhat deranged.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It has always amazed me that all you have to do to vote is rock up to the polling station with a card that came through the door, no other ID required. Ridiculous really.

Yes, I raised this with the staff at the polling station. There is NOTHING to stop me rocking up first thing, vote using my neighbour's address, watch to see if the staff have changed in the evening, and then going again to vote using my address. I don't even have to take the polling card with me. truly amazing. Nice to have a system that works on trust, I suppose, and what I am describing is presumably rare (?) but why be loose about security, when at least proof of ID, even it is a Utility Bill in your name, is easy to bring along and is surely at the very least better than nothing.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Because I am a bit worried about the integrity of our democracy. Seems like a decent reason.

You are worried about the "integrity of our democracy" because you had a person put down your address as his ?? you having a laugh ?? May be Putin and the Russians or Trump and the CIA. Watch out for Novichoc in your Christmas stocking.

I should dial 999 and get MI6 involved !!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The level of electoral fraud, so far as postal votes are concerned, is ridiculous and I can't understand why the Electoral Commission haven't deployed more sophisticated methods to erradicate it. The process by which we elect our MPs seems to be very antiquated in so many ways.

Electoral fraud via postal votes in Tower Hamlets at the past few elections has been absolutely rampant. People have been prosecuted yet nothing substantial appears to be done to prevent it from being possible in the first place.

Facts and evidence please, just a list of succesful prosecutions will do

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Life as me know it is a fraud ffs

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I consider myself very tolerant and moderate! It is just that anything vaguely outside the NSC clique view just gets shouted down or drowned in fish puns. If that does not work they ban you for no reason.
All I want ia to remain, actually sort out climate change and stop the rich from controlling every aspect of our lives in order to keep the have-not s down. Why is that annoying people?

All very reasonable, put like that. Just sit back, read all your posts and decide whether the language used reflects that of someone who is tolerant and moderate. Have you heard of the old adage: it is not what you say, it is how you say it, and in this respect, you tend to fall woefully short.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Facts and evidence please, just a list of succesful prosecutions will do

Sorry Ernest, you are quite right. There were no successful prosecutions (I just checked an was posting under the impression that there had been prosecutions) but that was because the police cocked up the investigation. It is widley accepted that there was industrial scale electoral malpractice. And it was a Mayrol election and not a GE but the issue remains the same and former mayor Luftur Rahman was found guilty of corrupt and illegal practices by an Election Court in 2015.

Carry on. Nothing to see here.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
We have been quietly saying these things for years! In the case of climate change DECADES, but absolutely NOTHING has been done. We are nearing the do or die phase so your suggestion is to keep on at the failed quiet nicey nicely approach? All we have is last ditch attempts now, so sorry if thw younger generations are bit ****ing pissed off!

Yet again-the same extreme approach with language to boot. Instead of just listening, you automatically state that a moderate approach has failed, when common sense should tell you that if you carry folk with you, (as opposed to alienating them, when you get on tube trains, for example) you are far more likely to achieve your aims. In an earlier exchange, I did explain to you that it is plain wrong to suggest that NOTHING has been done. Yes, the speed of progress may not be to your or my liking, but I recall the days before recycling, when petrol was leaded, and talk of plastic in the sea was unheard-of, to give you a few examples.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here