Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El-Abd,

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I was going to post almost the same. What made El Abd tick was the BHA badge and his rapport with the fans.

I honestly think looking at his position now, that he will come to very much deeply regret leaving the club? After all, today he would have definitely been in the starting XI at Port Vale, maybe put in another whole hearted performance and knocking on Greer's door for a starting place.

We all know that he punched above his weight thanks to Gus and Oscar but perhaps he didn't realise how much.

Very much this.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
2 shocking performances on the trot,last week 4/10.,mate said shocking for them again today,perhaps found his level,have many BHA players really gone on and found good success?????discuss away

ps have never doubted his abilty in lower leagues,and was a good servant for the club,just not good enough to oust our main players

without even thinking Lawrenson...Michael Robinson...Gary Stevens...i guess i could name more if i was more awake

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
El-Abd is and will prove himself to be a solid Championship defender. "Found his level" is nothing less than insulting to what he's achieved despite countless doubters down the years. Being parachuted onto a sinking ship in January is no easy task, perhaps he needs more than 180 minutes of football to learn their style and impose himself on the division. Is he going to go on a worldy dribble through eight players or ping passes 60 yards across the pitch? No, of course not. He'll just dominate in the air, smash into tackles and wind-up opponents as well as he always did. The fact such a "limited footballer" played such a key part in a ball-playing team 35+ places above Brizzle in the pyramid says a lot about how he's consistently underrated, even now, after a decade of being written off and proving people wrong.

Agree with all this. El Abd will be a great signing for them.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
He has always been a limited footballer. In recent years he has been in a strong team and not let anybody down. In fact on occasions he has played well. Now he is in a struggling team and things are completely different. That is what he opted for. He will be benched soon. I see Dicker was on the bench for Crawley today too. We were good for El-Abd, he opted out and now has to take the consequences.

Wow. Just wow.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Recently, Hammond, Noone, Murray and Cox off of the top of my head.

I know this may sounds odd but, is it just coincidence that El Abd started playing his best football when we changed our style and became a passing team?

i agree with cox he maybe at a lower level,but has always been mentioned in the media and has a had a few good seasons,noone has just started getting some good reveiws and in the prem is a great acheivement,esp as in the championship wasnt really setting the world on fire

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I was going to post almost the same. What made El Abd tick was the BHA badge and his rapport with the fans.

I honestly think looking at his position now, that he will come to very much deeply regret leaving the club? After all, today he would have definitely been in the starting XI at Port Vale, maybe put in another whole hearted performance and knocking on Greer's door for a starting place.

We all know that he punched above his weight thanks to Gus and Oscar but perhaps he didn't realise how much.

I agree with your first two paras, but how can a player punch above his weight for as long as 5 years? Surely the fact he has played such a full part shows he was easily good enough and not above his level at all.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It's a difficult one with El Abd. On the one hand he needs time to settle in but before Poyet came along, he was criticised by many on here as not good enough for us when we were in a similar position to Bristol City. The reaction on here when Poyet said he saw El Abd was a key player was incredible, with a lot of people calling it ridiculous.

Sometimes players struggle after leaving a club after many years. Really hope that doesn't happen to El Abd as he was a great servant for Albion and deserves to have a good rest of his career.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This is a strange thread he signed because of the length of contract they offered him, although Greer and Upson are both class acts and I would probably look half decent playing along side one of them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
After all the comments on here about how bad heu hss been for Bristol City I read the report of their game snd the marking and noticed in The Sun on Sunday that he scored a joint top mark if 7/10. The reporter obviously thought different to readers on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here