Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] El-Abd WILL stay

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hope not, he's not good enough and is a liability

You've been proved comfortably wrong on this over past 2 years.

I don't think he has, to be honest. At least not 'comfortably'. Adam is JUST about good enough for a team in the top half of this league, not 'comfortably' so. Worth retaining as 3rd / 4th choice, but absolutely not good enough to be first choice. the imporovement once Upson arrived last year was plain to see.

As for the liability part - well, he CAN be.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Obviously I'd rather we had him play than a midfielder playing in defence but if there's 2 other CB's fit I wouldn't want him anywhere near the pitch, he's too slow and is lucky not to give away a few penalties every match, he's a red card and penalty waiting to happen.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I don't think he has, to be honest. At least not 'comfortably'. Adam is JUST about good enough for a team in the top half of this league, not 'comfortably' so. Worth retaining as 3rd / 4th choice, but absolutely not good enough to be first choice. the imporovement once Upson arrived last year was plain to see.

Completely agree with this. Good squad player if the price is right, but can cost us games with his silly antics.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Didn't think our defensive record was that bad at the start of the season or when El Abd partnered Upson. I do take your point though and based on the final month when Greer returned, him and Upson were probably the strongest pairing. Just hope we sign Upson.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would suggest that it will be Greer and Upson if he signs with El Abd as the back up and then Ince and Dunk to fight it out for the 4th spot as there isnt much between them in ability.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Is your source a large polish goalkeeper?

Sounds like speculation to me. We don't want that around here. :jester:

I think keep El-Abd, with the knowledge he'll be on the fringes. We need a new centre back as well, but for now we should keep him and sign a new centre back to be first choice with Greer as his partner. Cheaper to keep El-Abd than make two new signings there.

FFP does matter and is important. Spanish Dave and Vicente coming back as frees would be very wise, Shorey at left back would be superb as well. Even if we get a new first choice as well.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I think he should only be 3rd choice if we are a top 6 side. Need a top starter brought in like Upson. Dunk MAY be capable of being that 3rd option instead (case over now so should go back to previous or better form I hope) but that said I'd be happy to see Adam back on sensible wages

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

History has been rewritten since Upson came in. We were the best defence in League One, and one of the best in the Champ, with Adam. He is a very, very good defender at Championship level.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Nice one Ninja. :smile:

:blush: Kuszcz.... someone who shall remain nameless deserves some of the credit as well!

History has been rewritten since Upson came in. We were the best defence in League One, and one of the best in the Champ, with Adam. He is a very, very good defender at Championship level.

Completely agree. He is a quality central defender at this level and ticks all the boxes off the pitch as well. We do need a top centre back to come in and complete the set but we are almost there. Left back and we're done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here