Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El Abd v Greer

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I am not a massive fan of DibDab, but he is playing solidly enough at the moment. If we cannot get another of Upson's quality on loan (VERY unlikely) I say if it aint broke don't fix it, and stick with DibDab.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
That is perhaps a fairly radical change to everything GP has ever done.

GG is one thing and Adam is something else, different factors in terms of being sent off but, personally, I don't feel comfortable with Adam's 'wind up' strategy which I feel could/will end up in disaster. I also think that he may be cranking up negative points with referees

One thing is for sure and that is Albion are best served for the moment in having Matthew Upson as an anchor man but I truly wish that we will follow up with our interest in Virgil Van Dyk as that would be a major statement of intent.

For the moment 'NO' as we cannot lose sight of defensive considerations.

Well our next match is in March - so exactly when this season are you expecting Adam's disaster?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'd say Greer every time but I mean no disrespect to El-Abd when I say that as he's been fantastic and deservedly kept his place in the starting line up on Saturday.

Larry

Feb 11, 2011
Keep Greer on the bench he is far to slow and a lot of goals conceded have been down to him.Let him go the end of season and lets move on with the Hollander player Van-Dijke.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It's a very hard position to judge isn't it. It's one of those roles where if you don't notice them, they've done well. If they have to keep sliding in last minute to rob an attacker they're probably behind the game and the only time you know if they have clearly done something to stand out is when they mess up - eg get skinned or lose a player at a corner etc.

I wish I knew enough to know how much of a contribution Upson is making. Clean sheets suggest he is good - but PIG's form has been amazing recently. AEA seems to be a stronger defender these days - Greer seems to have lost his confidence a bit. But it's hard to split them. Man in possession for me.

(and if anyone wants to explain the difference Upson is making - beyond simply we're getting clean sheets - I'd love to understand)

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Would go with both and leave Upson (good as he is) as the bench player.

Dunk needs games but can't risk him currently as makes one howler a match. Wish he could go to a top L1 team on loan with a recall clause

Dec 29, 2011
I wish I knew enough to know how much of a contribution Upson is making. Clean sheets suggest he is good - but PIG's form has been amazing recently. AEA seems to be a stronger defender these days - Greer seems to have lost his confidence a bit. But it's hard to split them. Man in possession for me.

Haven't seen enough of Upson to rate him yet, he played two home games I think?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
El-Abd, no contest. Constantly winding up and intimidating opposition star strikers in a way Greer could only dream of. Solid choice.

I think El Abd's limitations as a footballer (eg laboured and one-dimensional "distribution") are such that the defence is unnecessarily pressurised at times, requiring many of the last ditch interventions etc which he performs well. The winding up tatic hides some poor marking at set pieces and may be past its sell by date. Greer isn't brilliant but he's a leader, a better footballer and so shades it for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here