Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Efforts to Remove Ban on Drinking Beer in your Seat at Football

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It should be allowed in all areas apart from NS and away section.

Any section that has people throwing beer, or otherwise causing trouble, has the facility removed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It should be allowed in all areas apart from NS and away section.

Any section that has people throwing beer, or otherwise causing trouble, has the facility removed.

It’s not that simple though......there are groups all over the ground that might end up chucking beer. It’s not ‘sections’, it’s ‘people’. I’m in WSL and there are definitely groups that I’ve seen on many awaydays in the beer-chucking cohort - and in WSL they are surrounded by the meek and mild (as [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] states you can see the looks of disgust and hear the tutting when the swearing starts, so introducing beer to the mix will be a disaster).

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
When Spurs built their new stadium I heard that it included a brewery that had pipes going through every seat in the home end and fans could tap their card and get a beer.
Back to reality, after witnessing the SA v Japan rugby I'm 100% against beer in seat. I had a couple but watching men try and get up the stairs with four pints in a holder and spilling a quarter of them was horrendous.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I’d be against it. Just don’t see any benefit, only downside.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Never visited the Amex then, where drinking before and after the game is actively encouraged? Jesus wept. :facepalm:

The club have already said that if drinking in your seat were to return, it would not be with the bars open during the game. In other words, you get your beer before kick-off and take it with you. That is all they would be discussing - if indeed they are discussing it at all, which I very much doubt.

This. Something revolutionary like treating people like adults? You can get thrown out for breathing aggressively as it stands so it would just be one more thing for the stewards to watch out for no biggy

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I am genuinely surprised by how split the opinion is. I expected some to be against it, but I thought the overwhelming majority of people would be in support of it.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Would be happy if you were allowed to bring your drink to your seat but keep the bars shut during the match.

I'm completely in favour of this, I am not in favour of having the bars open during play and having drink buyers interrupt the watching of the game. Being allowed to take your alcoholic drink to your seat should be absolutely fine though. You are after all allowed to do this at all other major sports and at rugby and cricket it is part of the culture. Football fans are being discriminated against in this regard and it infuriates me.

I wouldn't mind being allowed to take a post-match pint to a seat afterwards also.

This could all be done under license and if pints are thrown on other fans or indeed at the pitch the permission to take a drink to the stand could be withdrawn.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Digressing slightly I find it quite disgusting that some people take their pints into the toilet and balance them on the urinal trough when they take a piss....once I saw one guy ( must have been drunk) put his beer on the floor while he took a piss.....I kid you not.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Digressing slightly I find it quite disgusting that some people take their pints into the toilet and balance them on the urinal trough when they take a piss....once I saw one guy ( must have been drunk) put his beer on the floor while he took a piss.....I kid you not.

Same type that use their phones in the toilet

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
All for it only if they go one step further and install urinals on the back of seats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
one of the many bonuses of non league football is being able to drink while you watch the game. Obviously a key difference in that setting is the ability to move around and a lot of people stand and are not confined to a particular seat so you're never having to squeeze past people

to those who are worried about beer going everywhere when teams score- what happens in Germany where beer is drunk in the stands? Are people currently being covered in Bovril/coca cola in England every time a goal goes in?

The "beer luzzing" thing from the last world cup became a bit propelled by the media and as soon as it was seen as being cool every ****er was doing it- I can't say I've really seen this happen apart from then?

Trial it in certain areas of the ground. At the Amex I'd suggest the West Stand and East Upper and then if that's a success introduce it into the North

I think it would be better if it was more a case of you being able to buy your drinks before the game and half time and take them to your seats than people constantly going to the bar throughout the game. You could even sell it in 2 pint glasses like at some gig venues

The current set up encourages binge drinking especially at half time. By the time you've queued up you have about 5 minutes to drink up before the game starts again, I've seen people sink 2 pints in that time, it's madness.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The "beer luzzing" thing from the last world cup became a bit propelled by the media and as soon as it was seen as being cool every ****er was doing it- I can't say I've really seen this happen apart from then?

I can only assume you weren't at Selhurst when Knockaert hit the second half winner

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
to those who are worried about beer going everywhere when teams score- what happens in Germany where beer is drunk in the stands? Are people currently being covered in Bovril/coca cola in England every time a goal goes in?

First point " wouldn't happen in Germany " :lolol: sorry someone would have said it.
No seriously, I've not seen a match there, maybe their fans are more sensible, did I say maybe? ???

Second point- Really? Not sure you can use that argument, fans that drink Bovril at games aren't usually pissed up young men/lads.

Third point- Every weekend I see a video on Twitter of football fans luzzing beer on an away concourse, same thing, group of teens and twenties dancing around throwing plastic pint glasses up in the air, all holding phones and filming.
Maybe you don't use Twitter and follow football fan accounts, or spend time on a concourse if you go to away games.
I've seen this happen at Albion away games too, and in the North Stand concourse.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Never visited the Amex then, where drinking before and after the game is actively encouraged? Jesus wept. :facepalm:

The club have already said that if drinking in your seat were to return, it would not be with the bars open during the game. In other words, you get your beer before kick-off and take it with you. That is all they would be discussing - if indeed they are discussing it at all, which I very much doubt.

So in other words you dont know..... There is a surprise

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
The Times is reporting that a group of Premier League clubs are Planning to campaign to end the ban on drinking alcohol in your seat during a game. I saw this on twitter, and in finding the original article have found it is behind the paywall, but if you have access, the article is here: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...otball-fans-drinking-in-their-seats-5glsjhxjd

The tweet I saw was this one:

[tweet]1276581744351735810[/tweet]

The replies were surprisingly negative. Along the lines of 'if you can't go without beer for 90 mins...'I expected more support, along the 'reduce binge drinking', 'in line with other sports' etc.

Having said that, my initial reaction was expecting to be annoyed by people going back and forth to get another round in, constantly disturbing everyone.

I wouldn't have thought people would be going back and forth for another round, they could even make a rule against that. It would help with social distancing in future as the concourse would be less crowded and it would give people more time to have a pint, especially at half time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here