Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Efforts to Remove Ban on Drinking Beer in your Seat at Football

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m for this if bars are kept closed during the match. Seems sensible that people can take any sort of drink to their seat prior to kick off or at half time.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Never visited the Amex then, where drinking before and after the game is actively encouraged? Jesus wept. :facepalm:

The club have already said that if drinking in your seat were to return, it would not be with the bars open during the game. In other words, you get your beer before kick-off and take it with you. That is all they would be discussing - if indeed they are discussing it at all, which I very much doubt.

That makes sense. Would be nice to return to your seat with whatever’s left of your HT pint and may prevent some of the 42nd minute rush.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
While I would love to watch live football with a pint of beer, I also love not being hit with flying beer. Maybe it'll work in 1901 but not the main stands

Clubs should be able to decide which areas they can trust not to do what you've pointed out. As with the 70s and 80s, there will be a minority that will abuse the situation and ruin it for others. We know there are football fans that can't be trusted. That might mean it is limited to 1901.

That said, I'm quite happy not to have a drink during the game, after all, I've paid money to watch football and not to queue. If you want a drink, enjoy it before the game, maybe at halftime, and then after the final whistle. Maybe the answer is to allow you to take the beer you've already got to your seat but not to carry on selling whilst the game is on.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I would be happy if i could get some beers in during the game for me and friends if thats what we wanted, walked back to my seat causing 5 seconds of inconvenience at the most to the person i was walking past, which isnt really an inconvenience at all in the scope of being in a sports stadium where getting up and down is a regular occurrence anyway.
I would be happy if someone invented something called a cup holder for those unlucky people that cant hold on to a beer when over excited and would be happy if those in charge realised it isnt the 1980`s anymore and you really can treat the majority of us like adults.

ps not having a go at your post, which in all seriousness would seem like a good initial stepping stone to easing the daft current law

You might cause only 5 seconds of delay but what about all the others getting up and going out and then coming back.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The ‘new typical’ fan (family with a couple of young kids clutching their bags of merchandise, elderly couple etc etc) will be screaming for stewards when the beer starts flying about.......or the fighting will start. Parts of the ground will end up more like the concourse at away games.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Plus football fans are mostly idiots. Beer will be thrown, drunks will fight. Football fans are the reason football fans can't have nice things.

Bit of a massive generalisation. Do you work for the Mail? Even in the height of all the violence in the 70s and 80s, it was always a minority that caused the trouble.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The ‘new typical’ fan (family with a couple of young kids clutching their bags of merchandise, elderly couple etc etc) will be screaming for stewards when the beer starts flying about.......or the fighting will start. Parts of the ground will end up more like the concourse at away games.

This. With the exception of bits of the North Stand most of the rest of the ground seems to have a real mixture of types of fan. Although we've got kids with us they are teenagers now and the rest of us in our group are old Goldstone hands who like a drink. However, in front of us we have a middle class family who I would have money come from somewhere rural in Sussex. The woman already looks at us like she wants to murder us whenever anything slightly negative or sweary comes out. I image if I took my pint up there and we score in the first couple of minutes she'd complain or the son would kick off if even a drop went on them.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Never visited the Amex then, where drinking before and after the game is actively encouraged? Jesus wept. :facepalm:

The club have already said that if drinking in your seat were to return, it would not be with the bars open during the game. In other words, you get your beer before kick-off and take it with you. That is all they would be discussing - if indeed they are discussing it at all, which I very much doubt.

Never visited the North Stand concourse then or an away game when fans find it exciting to throw pints of beer up in the air soaking all and sundry.

What will happen is a certain group of fans will take as many drinks as they can to their seats, most of which will be knocked over during the game.

Getting soaked in beer is ok once or twice but everytime we score a goal will get a bit annoying.

One person one pint would be acceptable but you know that will be worked around quite easily.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Vaguely recall beer being available at your seat in the Amex tho can't quite recall whether it was for an Albion pre-season friendly or maybe the Rugby World Cup. Definitely recall the stand being awash with spilt beer. At least I hope it was beer...

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Plus football fans are mostly idiots. Beer will be thrown, drunks will fight. Football fans are the reason football fans can't have nice things.

Sadly that neatly sums it up.

Here he is, Mr Jesus Wept, standard comment when you don't agree, or miss the point. :rolleyes:
They are talking about DURING the game, this is what the thread is about, not just about drinking at the Amex.

If beers are allowed to be brought back to the seats you have to accept that there will be beer flying everywhere in goal celebrations ( what a waste when VAR then chalks off the goal ).

I can't see the club wanting the hassle of dealing with all the complaints.
This
I've seen the throwing beer in the air dance on many concourses at football grounds home and away, great fun if you are aged between 15 and 25, not fun if you want your decent clothes covered in cheap lager.
I've also seen Youtube videos of fans watching England games on tv, many pints fly in the air if England actually do score.

Drinking on the concourse at the Amex is usually fine and I've only seen pints thrown in the North concourse, but I'm sure there would be a few clowns throwing beer if it was allowed to seats, if we do actually score. :D

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I would be happy if i could get some beers in during the game for me and friends if thats what we wanted, walked back to my seat causing 5 seconds of inconvenience at the most to the person i was walking past, which isnt really an inconvenience at all in the scope of being in a sports stadium where getting up and down is a regular occurrence anyway.
I would be happy if someone invented something called a cup holder for those unlucky people that cant hold on to a beer when over excited and would be happy if those in charge realised it isnt the 1980`s anymore and you really can treat the majority of us like adults.

ps not having a go at your post, which in all seriousness would seem like a good initial stepping stone to easing the daft current law

but it’s not just one person that’s inconvenienced for 5 seconds, it’s everyone in the row. When someone walks past a chain of about 4-5-6 start to stand, disturbing their viewing, plus people all behind not seeing the game coz of a f in mexican wave going on in front of them.

Plus the poor sods who get their toes trodden on, beer spilled on them.

and how about those who struggle or it is a physical effort to stand up out of their seat?

There’s far more to the minor disturbance of what you see right in front of you.

Not having a pop, just pointing out that the minor disturbance is, for some people a royal pain in the arse.

It wouldn’t be just once either, it will be repetitive, and duplicated again when the drinkers need to go for a piss as well ...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Is this idea driven by desire for more profits ?
It sounds like a really poor idea. It is impossible to properly celebrate a goal with beer in hand so the contents will be thrown everywhere. People are going to be covered in beer every time the Albion score and that will cause confrontation.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Bit of a massive generalisation. Do you work for the Mail? Even in the height of all the violence in the 70s and 80s, it was always a minority that caused the trouble.

See reply below Drew.
I think it would be more about dick head behaviour than violence.

Was seriously pissed off this year (i think) when we had televised game at the AMEX and drunk dicks were throwing beers at the screens. Guys this is literally the only time we are allowed to drink in view of the pitch and you choose this time to behave like dick heads.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It all seems to work fine as it is.
The last thing we need is to encourage people to be moving along rows of seats during play.
It's annoying, inconvenient and just creates more close contact.
We're there to watch the football.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
but it’s not just one person that’s inconvenienced for 5 seconds, it’s everyone in the row. When someone walks past a chain of about 4-5-6 start to stand, disturbing their viewing, plus people all behind not seeing the game coz of a f in mexican wave going on in front of them.

Plus the poor sods who get their toes trodden on, beer spilled on them.

and how about those who struggle or it is a physical effort to stand up out of their seat?

There’s far more to the minor disturbance of what you see right in front of you.

Not having a pop, just pointing out that the minor disturbance is, for some people a royal pain in the arse.

It wouldn’t be just once either, it will be repetitive, and duplicated again when the drinkers need to go for a piss as well ...

All this too......we’ll have the 85 minute plus ‘stand up sit down’ routine for the whole ****ing game.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
All this too......we’ll have the 85 minute plus ‘stand up sit down’ routine for the whole ****ing game.

This. Fair enough at a summer game like cricket where the game lasts for days (or if it doesn't it seems like it) or a game like rugger where every bugger is ever so well behaved. But football? Nope. Not happen. And if you really can't go 45 minutes without a pint then you should probably just have stayed in the pub

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
....but create a new one in people getting up to pop out for a pint during the game.

When I chose our ST seats at the Amex I deliberately went for mid-row seats so we don’t get too hassled by the twats that arrive late, leave early, go out on 42 mins to get their half time pint, get back 5 mins after the second half has started and then leave on 85 mins to get ahead of the bus/train queues......best decision I’ve made.

Guess who chose a seat at the end of a row? :rolleyes:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Hey, efforts need to be made to remove the ban from PEOPLE to return to their seats, before efforts to allow DRINKING to start from them.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Has alcohol always been banned at football, or was it possible back in the good old days?

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

The intro of the article that is viewable before it goes behind a paywall suggests it's a rule that's only been in place since the 1980s.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Would be happy if you were allowed to bring your drink to your seat but keep the bars shut during the match.

that would be the sensible middle ground. im not that bothered by not drinking in seat, and nice to avoid the spills etc. what irks is having to neck one if i do fancy a half time beer, and as a consequence usually dont. think the whole half time would be nicer if people could take more time for a wee, a beer, back to seat in 15.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here