Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eastbourne pier is on fire

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
as bad as the images look,I suspect the fire damage is superficial,the main metal stucture should still be unaffected due to the rapid response

niknokseagull

Give us a biscuit
Oct 8, 2003
London
Very much hope it is snuffed out before it reaches the pier end. The big building at the end still houses the old theatre.
Used to work on the pier for a long summer back in the 90's (days of the Balloon Factory, Channel Bar (Chris Mannion playing his enormous organ for the old bids) and The Roxy (as it was back then)).
You could climb up into a loft in the Channel Bar into the large roof space and all the theatre circle seating was still in place. Assume it's still all there. All this was sitting right above the nightclub. Like a hidden treasure from a world since forgotten. Ahhhhhh.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
A confused seagull.....

IMG_1872.JPG

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Stephen Lloyd MP said it will be rebuilt.

did he really? quick to call round the fire brigade, the investigators, the owners, the insurers, the structrual engineers, the builders and everyone to that assured comment, wasnt he?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
as bad as the images look,I suspect the fire damage is superficial,the main metal stucture should still be unaffected due to the rapid response

It depends what condition the ironwork is in; that was the problem with Hastings pier - when the engineers had a good look they found a lot of it was rusted to f..k

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
It depends what condition the ironwork is in; that was the problem with Hastings pier - when the engineers had a good look they found a lot of it was rusted to f..k

could be the case,I don't know

you'd thought in this day & age of H&S,they'ed be some sort of periodical check on these things

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
When news spread at my work, I told people that it was now believed that Haywards Heath Pier was on fire too. Some actually fell for it.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Given the intensity and the duration of the fire I'd be surprised if the damage is superficial. The tops of the iron supports and associated fixings will have been subjected to massive radiated heat - well in excess of 1000 degrees - followed by rapid cooling from the fire hoses. It may well be that many of the supports in the area affected by the fire will need to be replaced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here