Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Early mid period Quo

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No-one seems to takes the piss out of ZZ Top but they are essentially the same sound?

most bands with any longevity seem to go one of two ways. first is to sound the same, because thats their sound and what the fans like. the other is to experiment and produce lots of puffwankery. few manage to change and still keep an essence of what made them popular.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I had the 45rpm single of Pictures of Matchstick Men. Like many 45s at the time it came with a great big hole in the middle into which you would insert your centre piece so it would fit onto the turntable. Maybe if it was bought new this centre-piece would be there, but my copy was second-hand and lacked said device.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Quo live were two of my favourite ever gigs, one at The Dome and one at The Centre, probably thirty odd years apart. The first one dancing shirtless in the aisles, the second one dancing with Mrs Earle in the aisles. Absolute masters of catchy, infectious pop/rock or rock/pop. Sadly without Rick they just sound like a tribute band.

Never been a fan, but saw them at Wembley Stadium at the Queen gig in 1986. I must say I was surprised how good they were live.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have always thought that Quo were the perfect band to get into rock music as a youngster but to be moved on from by the time you were 15.

Now come on, that is classic music snobbery isn’t it? :lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Great band. Like Slade cut their teeth working ang gigging hard. A formidable live act.

we played Down down in a covers band many years ago, pissed our selves laughing during rehearsals, . . .when it cam to the gig within 20 seconds of starting the whole pub was bouncing. . a quite brilliant song.

Matchstick men gets played occasionally by the Dials and always goes down really well.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I had the 45rpm single of Pictures of Matchstick Men. Like many 45s at the time it came with a great big hole in the middle into which you would insert your centre piece so it would fit onto the turntable. Maybe if it was bought new this centre-piece would be there, but my copy was second-hand and lacked said device.

It had the big hole because it had originally been in a juke box. I have lots of these and also some centre pieces that you would place on the turntable.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
thedonkeycentrehalf;9875 447 said:
Quo Live is one of the all time great live albums

I've loved this track ever since I heard it on the 'Piledriver'album :rock::thumbsup:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

And I know this is a cover version, but I've always the Quo version

Have to confess that while I still totally love the Piledriver, Hello, and Quo albums, I lost interest after Rockin' All Over The World & Whatever You Want - they became a kind of stadium rock karaoke band!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Great band. Like Slade cut their teeth working ang gigging hard. A formidable live act.

we played Down down in a covers band many years ago, pissed our selves laughing during rehearsals, . . .when it cam to the gig within 20 seconds of starting the whole pub was bouncing. . a quite brilliant song.

Matchstick men gets played occasionally by the Dials and always goes down really well.

Still think Mystery Song full version was their best...playing that very loud is a thing of joy!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I loved the original Quo line up, they were the first band l saw live, at Hammersmith Odeon in around 1973 or 74. It all changed for me when Alan Lancaster and John Coughlan left though, and their style of music greatly changed.

Jul 7, 2003
Quo live were two of my favourite ever gigs, one at The Dome and one at The Centre, probably thirty odd years apart. The first one dancing shirtless in the aisles, the second one dancing with Mrs Earle in the aisles. Absolute masters of catchy, infectious pop/rock or rock/pop. Sadly without Rick they just sound like a tribute band.

Too young to catch them in their prime, my first proper gig was Quo at Selhurst Park on the End of the Road tour. Real mix of acts on the day with Little Steven, Dave Edmunds, Phil Lynotts Grand Slam and Chas & Dave in support. Seen them a few times since but last time was without Rick. It seemed okay (and REO Speedwagon as support were much better on the night) but I made the mistake of buying the album and listening back, it was like one of those poor rip off albums Woolworths used to sell back in the late 70s (the songs of Abba by Arrival)

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I am a huge fan. First saw them at The Brighton Centre soon after it opened on the Rocking All Over The World tour. No time for the musical snobs - music is something that creates an emotional response and that has nothing to do with the number of chords.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
They definitely peaked with the Anniversary Waltz Part I and II, their stuff since then has never been the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here