Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early Doors

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Only saw a few episodes of this but off work for the weekend with a particularly nasty infection and this thread reminded me I wanted to watch the lot. All available on Youtube. Loving it. Watched 15 Storeys High the other day, Sean Lock's short lived sitcom. Only 2 series but all great. Bleak but very funny. Not as good as Early Doors but if you like nicely observed humour with a cynical edge I recommend. Thanks OP, made a potentially rotten Saturday a tad better.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
For trivia fans Hollywood star James McEvoy appeared in it.

Is that trivia? He's in nearly every episode. I thought it was his break this programme? Either way, judging by this he managed to demonstrate early on in his career he has the screen presence of a teacup. Especially set against the poignant acting skill of the rest of the cast.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
It's hardly trivia!

He was only in the first series though, as his career was taking off and he was too big time to come back for series two. Melanie has a new boyfriend in that one

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Seriously underrated. In fact you know the cool people have seen it and those that havent well they dont knowvtheir comedy. Natural successor to this is actually the cafe.

Whist we are on the subject of old comedy programmes based on a disparate group of people drawn together regularly in one location (see also "Cheers") can any comedy experts help me with this one:-

Series run on one of the BBC channels late '90's early '0'00's set in a transport cafe, think it was in a remote location "oop North". Couple ran it, I think the regulars included a couple of traffic cops and a foreign lorry driver. Wasn't particularly funny, ran for one series but what was it called as it bugs for me for no particular reason. Can remember one funny bit from it - foreign lorry driver (I think) needed a place to stay for the night, couple of regulars invited him to stay "....provided you don't mind being disturbed by the baby making noises" - "but I didn't know you had a baby" - "we haven't but we are trying for one".

Over to you oh comedy gurus of the Board.

That must be it - doesn't seem to be on any comedy websites but it is on the BBC website shows 8 episodes first broadcast July 2000 "not currently available on BBC player". I think it came under the "comedy drama" category but largely failed in both!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
On a related note I do find it frustrating that little gems like this get so little promotion from the BBC.

It seems everyone on here is in agreement that the show flew under the radar somewhat, but if more people knew about it I'm sure it would have proven to be more popular. Meanwhile we are bombarded with trailers for the latest asinine lowest common denominator drivel on BBC Three at every given opportunity. I'm absolutely sick of seeing Lee Nelson or Nick Grimshaw pop up on EVERY single ad break between BBC shows. I get that they're desperate to promote this piss poor programming but why is it seemingly at the expense of the good stuff?

There is plenty of good quality original programming being produced on BBC Four for instance, and yet it is criminally underpublicised. The BBC has an unrivaled cross media presence they can use to promote whatever they see fit and they continually waste this opportunity by shoving all the shite down our throats whilst neglecting the good stuff.

How many DVD boxsets of Snog Marry Avoid are the BBC going to sell? Naff all I would suggest. Whereas timeless comedy classics like early Doors are exactly the sort of programmes that should be selling in their droves because of their eminent rewatchability. Publicise this stuff and you might find more people start watching

On a related note I do find it frustrating that little gems like this get so little promotion from the BBC.

It seems everyone on here is in agreement that the show flew under the radar somewhat, but if more people knew about it I'm sure it would have proven to be more popular. Meanwhile we are bombarded with trailers for the latest asinine lowest common denominator drivel on BBC Three at every given opportunity. I'm absolutely sick of seeing Lee Nelson or Nick Grimshaw pop up on EVERY single ad break between BBC shows. I get that they're desperate to promote this piss poor programming but why is it seemingly at the expense of the good stuff?

There is plenty of good quality original programming being produced on BBC Four for instance, and yet it is criminally underpublicised. The BBC has an unrivaled cross media presence they can use to promote whatever they see fit and they continually waste this opportunity by shoving all the shite down our throats whilst neglecting the good stuff.

How many DVD boxsets of Snog Marry Avoid are the BBC going to sell? Naff all I would suggest. Whereas timeless comedy classics like early Doors are exactly the sort of programmes that should be selling in their droves because of their eminent rewatchability. Publicise this stuff and you might find more people start watching

I know there is already a thread on this but have watched the first 3 episodes of "The Wrong Mans" and enjoyed it a lot. I could see it being turned into a US based film and being a hit.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
15 Storeys High was blown all over the schedules and disappeared with little acclaim but it is excellent. Same for Nighty Night. An absolute dark joy to watch but hardly anyone has heard of it.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
15 Storeys High was blown all over the schedules and disappeared with little acclaim but it is excellent. Same for Nighty Night. An absolute dark joy to watch but hardly anyone has heard of it.

Actually I noticed that being trailed on UK Gold recently. Never seen it. Worth the watch?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here