Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dyche on way out?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
What I never understood about Burnley was, given the substantial levels of income for Premiershit clubs (£120m +) and Burnley's parsimonious approach to players wages, their decrepit stadium on which they have spent zero funds recently and the relatively low cost of living generally in the locality.......is, where does all the dosh go every year???

They've still had to pay Premier League wages and have also invested in a new training ground.
It all sounds like very good housekeeping to keep them sustainable.

It was interesting to read that the new contract they have offered Jeff Hendricks is substantially less than his current contract.
I'm guessing this is the first of many reduced contract offers in the new Covid hit economy that we are in.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It was interesting to read that the new contract they have offered Jeff Hendricks is substantially less than his current contract.
I'm guessing this is the first of many reduced contract offers in the new Covid hit economy that we are in.

Franz Beckenbauer was quoted yesterday saying the days of crazy high transfer fees and big money for signing are over. I hope that's correct.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Franz Beckenbauer was quoted yesterday saying the days of crazy high transfer fees and big money for signing are over. I hope that's correct.

With the greatest of respect Franz Beckenbauer knows fudge all about football. :lol:

In 18 months time nothing will have changed, unless the TV revenue falls of a cliff.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Hi all,

As a Claret based in Brighton thought I'd chip in.

Dyche has been on good terms generally with the board, the issue is whether they trust him with the money. He's made some very good signings and also some bad ones. Plus, well, managers generally have a shelf life at any club. One main criticism of him was that he was very loyal to players once in the team and wouldn't replace them when they weren't performing. But hey, all managers have their way of doing it.

The club has had a fair bit of criticism from the fans over not spending. We have upgraded our training ground and are now paying higher salaries than ever. I think the board err on the side of being a bit tight, but if we were relegated tomorrow we'd be back in the Championship with 15k at home (most likely). No Russian oligarch or anyone able to pump money in (unlike a certain plucky team beginning with B). I think it's more apparent than ever how disastrous it can be if you go down with players of decent salaries and long contracts.

In terms of his style, he does get bashed by most fans and some of his own. But looking at the squad most of the players bought aren't those hailing from the Premier League when bought. They are playing in the Premier now but were bought from clubs lower down, that doesn't mean we can't be a bit more creative but perhaps gives a reason why. On that point one thing I don't think he gets credit for is how he has brought players through. Pope, Heaton, Keane, Tarks - all bought at lower league level (perhaps Tarks at the time the most established) and all won caps. McNeill is looking as if he'll move on at some point but has been the youth product we have been craving for some time.

Attracting players has always been a problem, I think it is for most clubs and I know we've been stung a few times on transfer days. The issue is where you have clubs in the Championship offering wages as high as we do, reports were we missed out on a couple of players from teams relegated last season because they got better deals (I suppose that's for the club to understand more).

Sadly the recent idiot has made this worse in terms of recruiting.

As one poster pointed out, beware of Charlton who felt mid table wasn't good enough. It's nice to play attacking football and early on in the season an often made comparison was with Bournemouth. The irony here is what Brighton fans appreciate, i.e. the financial backing Bournemouth have (I think Eddie got Kenwyne Jones on a high salary on loan when they were promoted). One thing we learnt with Eddie is that you need to score 5 to guarantee a point, getting Dyche after him was a real culture shock!
To sum it up I will use the example of Adrian Durham. He spent many a time berating Stoke when they were in the Prem. A while back they were mentioned on his show and made a comment about them forgetting who they were, which sums up how people can view a club. You foster a reputation of being a not-too-attractive team but stay in the Prem, change to be more creative, get relegated and you were considered wrong to change who you were.

Whatever Dyche does he'll be admired by myself and many fans for what he did. I just hope the next manager is able to achieve what he has with the resources available. Though really, and I know Brighton fans know this as well as any club, we don't want to have the club bankrupted or put in financial peril by anyone because we lived outside our means.

I think Brighton will be safe and I hope so. Fingers crossed.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Really want Burnley to do well against Watford today, so I hope this isn't too big an issue just yet!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Not surprising at all, this summer is the ideal time for him to go with his repuatation fully intact rather than staying a season too long and doing a Smug Eddie, taking them down next year.

They’re surely one of the favourites for relegation already?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Palace have been tracking Dyche for a long time. Just saying.

That was my first thought too. Hodgson isn't exactly a long term or forward thinking option, but the issue that they have currently is that he's doing rather well so they can't exactly just tell him to retire. That said, they were pathetic last night (yes I know Liverpool were brilliant but for Palace not to even have a single touch in the opposing penalty area puts a spring 2019 Hughton XI to shame) and you could easily see their season fizzling out through sheer apathy once the delusions of European football have faded back into fantasy land where they belong. Especially if Tiny Tears is injured/ sulking/ angling for a transfer again.

Sean Dyche and Crystal Palace FC: it's a quite hideously perfect match. Their squad is the oldest in the PL (Dyche isn't exactly renowned for bringing through young players), they have the likes of Cahill, Dann, Sikh, Milivojevic and Joel Ward who, let us just say, would adapt seamlessly to Dyche's, erm, less technical style of play. He's used to working in a rusty hovel of a stadium so won't be in the slightest bit put off by Selhurst. And as he loves to tell the media: he simply cannot abide players who dive, so managing Honest Wilf Who Never Dives will be a match made in heaven.

Hodgson to be shunted to Director of Football by September if Dyche becomes available and Parish doesn't have to pay a compensation fee.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
That was my first thought too. Hodgson isn't exactly a long term or forward thinking option, but the issue that they have currently is that he's doing rather well so they can't exactly just tell him to retire. That said, they were pathetic last night (yes I know Liverpool were brilliant but for Palace not to even have a single touch in the opposing penalty area puts a spring 2019 Hughton XI to shame) and you could easily see their season fizzling out through sheer apathy once the delusions of European football have faded back into fantasy land where they belong. Especially if Tiny Tears is injured/ sulking/ angling for a transfer again.

Sean Dyche and Crystal Palace FC: it's a quite hideously perfect match. Their squad is the oldest in the PL (Dyche isn't exactly renowned for bringing through young players), they have the likes of Cahill, Dann, Sikh, Milivojevic and Joel Ward who, let us just say, would adapt seamlessly to Dyche's, erm, less technical style of play. He's used to working in a rusty hovel of a stadium so won't be in the slightest bit put off by Selhurst. And as he loves to tell the media: he simply cannot abide players who dive, so managing Honest Wilf Who Never Dives will be a match made in heaven.

Hodgson to be shunted to Director of Football by September if Dyche becomes available and Parish doesn't have to pay a compensation fee.[/QUOTE]

Hodgson and Dyche the DREAM TEAM...bring it on!!!!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Apropos of nothing, that just made me think how unhappy Ian "Triple substitute" Holloway must be not being involved in the new rules. 5 subs in one go would be a wet dream for him.

Barry Fry originated that when at Birmining so I recall. He was laughed at then....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
West Ham would be delicious. The West Ham Way = kicking chunks out of people and lumping to target men. That would conflict them a bit.

I’m sure the fans could get behind a completely white team though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Hi all,

As a Claret based in Brighton thought I'd chip in.

Dyche has been on good terms generally with the board, the issue is whether they trust him with the money. He's made some very good signings and also some bad ones. Plus, well, managers generally have a shelf life at any club. One main criticism of him was that he was very loyal to players once in the team and wouldn't replace them when they weren't performing. But hey, all managers have their way of doing it.

The club has had a fair bit of criticism from the fans over not spending. We have upgraded our training ground and are now paying higher salaries than ever. I think the board err on the side of being a bit tight, but if we were relegated tomorrow we'd be back in the Championship with 15k at home (most likely). No Russian oligarch or anyone able to pump money in (unlike a certain plucky team beginning with B). I think it's more apparent than ever how disastrous it can be if you go down with players of decent salaries and long contracts.

In terms of his style, he does get bashed by most fans and some of his own. But looking at the squad most of the players bought aren't those hailing from the Premier League when bought. They are playing in the Premier now but were bought from clubs lower down, that doesn't mean we can't be a bit more creative but perhaps gives a reason why. On that point one thing I don't think he gets credit for is how he has brought players through. Pope, Heaton, Keane, Tarks - all bought at lower league level (perhaps Tarks at the time the most established) and all won caps. McNeill is looking as if he'll move on at some point but has been the youth product we have been craving for some time.

Attracting players has always been a problem, I think it is for most clubs and I know we've been stung a few times on transfer days. The issue is where you have clubs in the Championship offering wages as high as we do, reports were we missed out on a couple of players from teams relegated last season because they got better deals (I suppose that's for the club to understand more).

Sadly the recent idiot has made this worse in terms of recruiting.

As one poster pointed out, beware of Charlton who felt mid table wasn't good enough. It's nice to play attacking football and early on in the season an often made comparison was with Bournemouth. The irony here is what Brighton fans appreciate, i.e. the financial backing Bournemouth have (I think Eddie got Kenwyne Jones on a high salary on loan when they were promoted). One thing we learnt with Eddie is that you need to score 5 to guarantee a point, getting Dyche after him was a real culture shock!
To sum it up I will use the example of Adrian Durham. He spent many a time berating Stoke when they were in the Prem. A while back they were mentioned on his show and made a comment about them forgetting who they were, which sums up how people can view a club. You foster a reputation of being a not-too-attractive team but stay in the Prem, change to be more creative, get relegated and you were considered wrong to change who you were.

Whatever Dyche does he'll be admired by myself and many fans for what he did. I just hope the next manager is able to achieve what he has with the resources available. Though really, and I know Brighton fans know this as well as any club, we don't want to have the club bankrupted or put in financial peril by anyone because we lived outside our means.

I think Brighton will be safe and I hope so. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for information. Sod the style of football everybody has got great admiration with what club has achieved over many years in PL. What I dont understand is I read you have had a net spend on transfers over 4/5 years of about £90m Appreciate training ground but with all clubs having a min income of £120m a season where has money gone

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here