Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk's through ball for the third.....absolute £100m worth of class

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I’m excited by the new Potter era but he won’t be taking responsibility/credit for Lewis Dunk’s long passing ability. He has been doing it here for years.

It wasn't a long pass though. It was a charge upfield followed by a sliderule through-ball.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Majestic thru ball.

How fast is Maupay?

Ikr, when I was watching it and the camera eventually caught up with Dunk's genius pass Maupay was so advanced that it looked like he couldn't possibly have been onside when the ball was played. Well he must have been, and that suggests he is bloody quick!

He also had 3 opportunities to get it wrong, he had to stay onside and time his run, he had to round the keeper, and he had to finish from a very tight angle. I think we would have forgiven him for getting any one of those wrong in his first PL game, it really was impressive how he got every bit of it right. Really impressive.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It wasn't a long pass though. It was a charge upfield followed by a sliderule through-ball.

A 'CHARGE' upfield? Charge?

Big cumbersome lumps like Maguire CHARGE upfield.

It was a GLIDE forward, followed by a perfectly-weighted, slide-rule pass...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ikr, when I was watching it and the camera eventually caught up with Dunk's genius pass Maupay was so advanced that it looked like he couldn't possibly have been onside when the ball was played. Well he must have been, and that suggests he is bloody quick!

He also had 3 opportunities to get it wrong, he had to stay onside and time his run, he had to round the keeper, and he had to finish from a very tight angle. I think we would have forgiven him for getting any one of those wrong in his first PL game, it really was impressive how he got every bit of it right. Really impressive.

This is what struck me as well - he was miles past the defender when the camera picked him up....can see why they did a VAR check. Very encouraging and adds a completely different dimension to us up front (not being offside alone is a start [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]). He’s a bloody UNIT as well - not tall but built like the proverbial outhouse. Won’t be bullied off the ball.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
It makes Dunk's pass even more special when you see that at the start of the build up for our opening goal, the Watford CB tried a similar type of pass that was easily intercepted by Dale Stephens.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
But there must have been quite a few passes prior to the perfect pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not enough is being made of this, IMHO.

We must have had nearly twenty passes before Dunk strode forward and caressed the ball perfectly into the space that he and Maupay had identified.

Dunk's pass was majestic, but I wish that the highlights would show that goal from the moment we got the ball.It was truly incredible.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It makes Dunk's pass even more special when you see that at the start of the build up for our opening goal, the Watford CB tried a similar type of pass that was easily intercepted by Dale Stephens.

Also just before Dunk's pass we were tippy tapping it around to "Ole"s while the Watford players chased shadows.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Not enough is being made of this, IMHO.

We must have had nearly twenty passes before Dunk strode forward and caressed the ball perfectly into the space that he and Maupay had identified.

Dunk's pass was majestic, but I wish that the highlights would show that goal from the moment we got the ball.It was truly incredible.

Just posted about that above before seeing your post. I think the extended highlights on the club website show it. Really worth a watch.

EDIT: Just checked, if anyone hasn't seen it, watch the extended highlights from 15:12.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Totally agree. They'd be swimming in their own man-goo in the MoTD studios if it was a Liverpool or Man City player...... However, it's Brighton so it was probably either a lucky pass, or an acceptable clearance.

That's why Dunk was in both Garth Crooks' and Alan Shearer's team of the week, with Crooks specifically mentioning that pass. And GP was the manager for Shearer's team.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain

The other thing that impressed me was his awareness, before he got to the box he looks across, realises he cant get a pass through to Andone and decides to go it alone.
Many players in that position would have tried to play the pass, which would probably have been cut out.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

It was a tremendous goal for both Dunks pass and ALL that Maupay had to do.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

A 'CHARGE' upfield? Charge?

Big cumbersome lumps like Maguire CHARGE upfield.

It was a GLIDE forward, followed by a perfectly-weighted, slide-rule pass...

He’s been charging/gliding forwards before delivering perfectly weighted slide rule passes for years as well :):albion2:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

May’s goal was supreme, it’s true.

I loved the pace he put on the ball. Just enough to do the job whilst both teasing and evading the Watford defenders and Andone.

He stroked it in with such confidence and skill.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Keep em coming this season miffy, always great gifs :clap2:

The more I look at it, the better it gets. The vision of Maupay to run, Dunk to thread the ball through the midfield and defence with just enough weight to catch Maupays run without him losing any momentum.

How many times do we see these passes over or under hit or the player go too early and be caught offside (Hi Glen :))

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The more I look at it, the better it gets. The vision of Maupay to run, Dunk to thread the ball through the midfield and defence with just enough weight to catch Maupays run without him losing any momentum.

How many times do we see these passes over or under hit or the player go too early and be caught offside (Hi Glen :))

And then how often do you see a striker through 1 on 1 with FAR too much time to think about it, and end up scuffing it into the keepers midriff ?

(Hi just about every BHA striker in history except PW and BZ).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here