Dunk's handball - what was he doing?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yes he did SSB.

Walking back to my daughter's flat, I heard one comment from a Pompey fan that he thought deliberate handball in the pen area was meant to be a red card. Learn the rules you fecking numpty.
Rod thomas certainly did at Gillingham!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Espn sportscast says dunk was booked.
Seagulls.co.uk match report says he wasn't (well technically there's no comment about him not being booked, but it doesn't say that he did get booked)

Josimojo

Aug 4, 2011
He was claiming that he was pushed in the back leading to the handball. I think Dunk's stepped up to the mark, I doubt that El-Abd or Elphick are going to just walk back into the team when they're fit!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Watching it again, I thought he got a slight shove in the back.

He did and it's exactly the same with Elphick last season. As a defender is jumping a shove in the back will automatically make your arms shoot forward as a reflex action so therefore difficult to get them out of the way of the ball. Gamesmanship by the Pompey player and probably why the ref didn't deem it to be a deliberate handball.
The BBC match report shows Dunk got a yellow, and Gus mentioned 3 in 3. Our website doesn't show it.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
I watched the league review and saw a brief moment of Dunk handling a cross in the final minute - but what was he thinking ffs?

He leapt up and seemed to tip it like a goalkeeper, it looked as unnecessary as Elphick's wave at the Bournemouth cross last season.

Anyone get a good look at that? (apart from the ref)

He was doing what he deemed necesary and it worked it maybe that the ball was going in.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
He was claiming that he was pushed in the back leading to the handball. I think Dunk's stepped up to the mark, I doubt that El-Abd or Elphick are going to just walk back into the team when they're fit!

On age grounds, and indeed any other grounds, I think you are correct and AEA may well struggle to get back in unless LD makes a habit of getting booked regularly, or getting sent off. Hope he can reign himself in !

I think if LD, who has the advantage of greater height, continues to develope and can avoid being persona non grata, he will trump AEA and perhaps may have a seriously good future in front of him, given that at the moment he is only 19.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
He needs to stop doing these silly mistakes, but this is a learning curve for him and remember he is up against top class opposition now. For a 19 year old, he hasn't done much wrong, apart from yesterday basketball style handball.

It wasn`t a silly mistake players get away with the same and worse every week, he is doing a good job at present including protecting our more fragile players ( Donnie game)

I'm happy if we have a potentially excellent defender in young Dunk, but replace a fit el-Abd? I doubt it.

However, Adam playing alongside Greer and Dunk could also work - he's capable of playing in the midfield as well, and in this league I think we need some authority stamped in the defensive side of the midfield.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm happy if we have a potentially excellent defender in young Dunk, but replace a fit el-Abd? I doubt it.

However, Adam playing alongside Greer and Dunk could also work - he's capable of playing in the midfield as well, and in this league I think we need some authority stamped in the defensive side of the midfield.

Oh god no, please don't let el abd ever play in midfield again.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I think Bridcutt is certainly more than capable of doing that job. More than held his own yesterday against the filthy cloggers.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Lewis DID get a yellow card yesterday. He also got a shove in the back as he went up, but he does concede that he will learn from the experience. And yes he did have a dead leg in the closing stages (well spotted that man!) but nothing that will prevent him from taking his place alongside the skipper at Cardiff.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I didn't see it from our end, I was too busy looking away in despair once the ref gave the penalty, so I checked the club website. Here it said he didn't Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Final Score: Portsmouth 0 Albion 1

Having watched it back on the football league show though it did look like the ref was going for his pocket so I don't doubt you're correct.

I was up that end nearly in line with the pen spot. The yellow card definitely came out.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports