Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk to join Fulham this week?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Club need to um and err a bit and spin this transfer into next week, if it's going to happen at all.
Why? If the club wanted to sell and Dunk wanted to go, they could agree it all and just agree that it will be delayed so that he doesn't play against us. No need to fake um and err.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So what's to say that if we were to ever sell Dunk, that the money we receive will go towards the playing budget only, a percentage of it could go toward covering the losses again and those expecting it to fund 2 or 3 signings will be very disappointed

Disappointed maybe but not surprised.
Nearly all clubs, even the "ambitious" ones in the championship make profits from player trading.
22 out of 24 did in 12/13 and again in 13/14 including the Albion.
And assuming "funding signings" means funding fee+wages over lifetime of contract.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Seems a bit...dodgy.
It's probably best for all it works this way. How long did we pursue Marshall for, and how much did it affect our plans for an alternative? Imagine that we left other options in favour of Marshall and after weeks of bids Blackburn finally accepted, so we went to Marshall and he immediately said 'thanks, I'm flattered, but my family and I won't move south no matter what the offer'. Great. We've wasted weeks pursuing someone who was never going to come, and we've missed other opportunities.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Selling to one of your league rivals says to me zero ambition and a lot of lip service. Don't talk shit about aiming for the PL and then go and make a rival even stronger.

I could understand to a PL club, but not this.

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
Selling to one of your league rivals says to me zero ambition and a lot of lip service. Don't talk shit about aiming for the PL and then go and make a rival even stronger.

I could understand to a PL club, but not this.

But if he is offered more than double his wages and then wants to go, do we and the player not need to move on (and take the money)

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
But if he is offered more than double his wages and then wants to go, do we and the player not need to move on (and take the money)

He's contracted to us til 2017/18. We shouldn't stop players moving up in leagues, but to see them move sideways, no thanks.

Not when they are locked into a long term contract.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Not to Fulham or a league rival. Give Dunk a new deal (similar to the Grabban incident with Bmuff) instead. If a PL club comes in for him & he leaves, most fans will understand. But Fulham? Come on chaps.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He's contracted to us til 2017/18. ie shouldn't stop players moving up in leagues, but to see them move sideways, no thanks.

Not when they are locked into a long term contract.

Do you know the terms of his contract, more specifically whether it contains clauses that allow him, under certain conditions he is allowed to talk to other clubs?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Do you know the terms of his contract, more specifically whether it contains clauses that allow him, under certain conditions he is allowed to talk to other clubs?

I do not. However if the club are allowing for clauses that let our players talk to league rivals then we have idiots negotiating our contracts for the club.

Tax on profit doesn't even come into it for us, as we're making significant losses. And even if we made a profit, we shouldn't be paying tax as we're carrying old losses forward.
Exactly.
It's all about FFP, and as said already, you can't count the proceeds for future seasons - although bonuses paid for a club staying up etc, might come in a later season.
I don't think it is all about FFP, primarily it's TB's philosophy that the business should be self-financing. Anyone doubting this should just ask the man; he's readily accessible en-route to away matches and will discuss this. If BHA were making a profit then any money retained in the business could be carried forward to the following season but it's not, and has only done so twice in living memory. The idea that you can take an individual income stream and spread the artificial "profit" from it over a number of seasons is, I agree, just rubbish. If not, why not propose this for other streams - eg catering, sponsorship, ticketing income?
I expect a chunk of the Ulloa money went on loans.
I think CJ has already come up with a TB media quote that confirms some went towards last season's playing costs. However, there is/was also a significant amount of amortisation from Ulloa's original purchase price to balance out (in excess of £1m); there may have been (I don't know) some %age sell on fee payable to his former club.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I fail to see what difference it makes whether the money from sales like Ulloa is put directly to other transfers or set against the business expenses because at the end of the day if TB wants to buy a player the manager wants he will do so and leave the accountants to do what they are paid for juggle the figures to our best advantage.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I don't get to see the development teams so like most on here have no way of judging what talent we have coming through but it will be interesting to see how Rea gets on tonight. He seems to be in pole position to replace Dunk if/when he goes but is he good enough yet or do we need to sign an experienced replacement?
Those who watch the DS seem to rate Dallison as the more natural CB and indeed Rea has played more as a defensive midfielder but that would seem to indicate that he has the mobility to play a Dunk-style (more assertive than Greer) game? In a perfect world it would be great to see Rea make the step up and have experience on the bench to cover Greer. "Old head/young head" is usually the winning combination for a centre back partnership

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I fail to see what difference it makes whether the money from sales like Ulloa is put directly to other transfers or set against the business expenses because at the end of the day if TB wants to buy a player the manager wants he will do so and leave the accountants to do what they are paid for juggle the figures to our best advantage.

All our problems solved in one post from BG!

TB and CH buy the players they want and the accountants will 'juggle the figures'.

Why have they not thought of that before??!! I think TB should hire you as a highly-paid Financial Consultant, BG. It won't matter how large your fee is, the accountants wil 'juggle the figures' to accommodate it!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
All our problems solved in one post from BG!

TB and CH buy the players they want and the accountants will 'juggle the figures'.

Why have they not thought of that before??!! I think TB should hire you as a highly-paid Financial Consultant, BG. It won't matter how large your fee is, the accountants wil 'juggle the figures' to accommodate it!

When I said juggle the figures I meant move them about to the most appropriate area or account rather than change them obviously. I am sure that is what happens so why all the fuss as to what happens to money received from sales and where it is spent. Does it matter if the money from Ulloa was spent on players or on the overheads? No it doesnt because as I said if TB and CH want a player they will buy him.

It is just people trying to be too technical with a simple problem. Can we afford a replacement?

When I said juggle the figures I meant move them about to the most appropriate area or account rather than change them obviously. I am sure that is what happens so why all the fuss as to what happens to money received from sales and where it is spent. Does it matter if the money from Ulloa was spent on players or on the overheads? No it doesnt because as I said if TB and CH want a player they will buy him.

It is just people trying to be too technical with a simple problem. Can we afford a replacement?

Moving figures about to the most appropriate area of the accounts - what are you on about?
Football player trading is treated for accountancy purposes exactly like a pub business purchasing a piece of capital equipment (eg a new kitchen oven) - ie they are treated as a capital asset. The purchase cost is depreciated in the accounts over the expected life of the item and in the case of the football player that is the length of his contract with the employer. Clearly, the length of contract and, therefore, the amount of amortisation/depreciation per annum attributable to player sales and purchases has a significant and ongoing impact on the club's financial performance for future years.
With the club directors and chairman having seeming set an annual loss figure that they're comfortable to support and the loss restrictions of FFP then it's clearly NOT the case that TB can or will just stump up the money for any player they he and CH might fancy.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not to Fulham or a league rival. Give Dunk a new deal (similar to the Grabban incident with Bmuff) instead. If a PL club comes in for him & he leaves, most fans will understand. But Fulham? Come on chaps.
Worth remembering that B'muff sold Grabban to a league rival (for less than Dunk's supposed release clause figure) and that the money would have helped them buy a better player - Callum Wilson - whilst probably still keeping to their FFP limits for last season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Perhaps Fulham are now looking at other central defender targets
[tweet]631155637066596357[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here