Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk 'a top-four defender if ever I saw one'

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Agree with this to the extent that I'm wondering whether he shouldn't be rested and Connor Goldson given a run to play alongside Dunk?

I was thinking exactly the same. I guess we'll see how Goldson does on Monday but if he impresses again then it might be worth trying and seeing if we do cut out the set piece goals against. They were great together a couple of seasons ago.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
If it wasn't for Ryan, Dunk, Duffy and Bruno we'd be good as relegated already. Rest of our first-choice line-up would be hard pushed to make the Championship play-offs. IMHO, like.

Strange thing to say considering the rest of the 1st choice line up, ( inc a few improvements), almost won the championship last season???

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My bulk standard is based on the number of comparable CB whether or not they are younger or English is another point but that doesnt seem to affect the big clubs decision when buying players. None of the top 6 have gone with that criteria, most have bought foreign

City bought Stones, Utd bought Jones and Smalling , admitted all of them a while ago, and none by the present managers,but, how many fit the same criteria now, are available, and good enough. I can see Dunk going at the end of the season for 35 mil, plus.
To say we would sell him now, for £20 mil, is pure nonsense,btw, he still has 4 1/2 on his contract
(The above is with the caveat, that we are relegated, I'm not convinced he will go anyway if we stay up)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Who is better than him and I have only listed the young English players: Maguire. Keane, Mawson and Lascelles. All of the top 6 possibly with the exception of Arsenal, which is debatable, have better but they may look at him for the future but most on here still see him as a young lad. He is now 26 years old so nearing his peak age as a footballer. I would be happy to not consider selling him and let him see out his contract with us.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Who is better than him and I have only listed the young English players: Maguire. Keane, Mawson and Lascelles. All of the top 6 possibly with the exception of Arsenal, which is debatable, have better but they may look at him for the future but most on here still see him as a young lad. He is now 26 years old so nearing his peak age as a footballer. I would be happy to not consider selling him and let him see out his contract with us.

I'm surprised you think any of Keane, Mawson or Lascelles are better than him, to be honest. I do think he is a group of young British defenders who have a lot of promise, and that includes Maguire, Tarkowski, Ake, Stones, Keane and Mawson, and I think Dunk is their equal at least. Certainly bodes well for the national team

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
My bulk standard is based on the number of comparable CB whether or not they are younger or English is another point but that doesnt seem to affect the big clubs decision when buying players. None of the top 6 have gone with that criteria, most have bought foreign

Whoosh!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
According to reports in the press Southgate has put Tarkowski and Mee of Burnley ahead of him in the race for an England cap. I am not sure that I agree but he is the one who decides. He does not appear to be that impressed with Dunk and he was a CB.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
According to reports in the press Southgate has put Tarkowski and Mee of Burnley ahead of him in the race for an England cap. I am not sure that I agree but he is the one who decides. He does not appear to be that impressed with Dunk and he was a CB.

I think its more that Southgate values experience in big games, in the premier league and european football, and Dunk is still a novice. Tarkowski and Mee are in their second or third season in the premier league

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'm surprised you think any of Keane, Mawson or Lascelles are better than him, to be honest. I do think he is a group of young British defenders who have a lot of promise, and that includes Maguire, Tarkowski, Ake, Stones, Keane and Mawson, and I think Dunk is their equal at least. Certainly bodes well for the national team

Ake has no chance of getting an England call up.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
It's unfortunate for Dunk that there's so many good English centre backs at the moment. Harry Maguire in particular looks quality.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Offer £45m and I've no doubt Brighton boss Chris Hughton would drive him to Anfield himself. Could Brighton afford to turn that down? Alongside Virgil van Dijk, Liverpool would suddenly have two towering defenders who know how to defend. They should be paying me a consultancy for this column!'

Garth Crooks is such a moron. By saying Hughton would drive Dunk to Anfield himself for £45m, that implies that £45m far exceeds his value, which it doesn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here