Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Dubrovnik Trip

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Boat trip down to Cavtat for lunch is a nice way to spend a day. Can get a bit much in Dubrovnik old town when the cruise ships are in.

Depending on how long you are going for it’s well worth having a few trips planned as you can do most of the city in a day or two.
Yep forgot to mention boat to Cavtat. Great for a chilled day

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Went last September & absolutely loved Dubrovnik. Lokrum, Srd Mountain & the city walls walk are essential but I could happily spend a week just exploring the city, eating & drinking. Be sure to spend some time at one of the exhibitions/commemorations to the city's part in the war in the 90s. It shapes the locals & shouldn't be ignored
I later went to Belgrade and funnily enough they give a very different take on it and are keen to tell you to ignore all the anti-Serb propaganda like what you see in Dubrovnik!

Not a conversation to get into too deeply if you want to have a relaxing trip!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I later went to Belgrade and funnily enough they give a very different take on it and are keen to tell you to ignore all the anti-Serb propaganda like what you see in Dubrovnik!

How did you get there ? I went to Nis.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Absolutely stunning place, with plenty to see and do, we stayed near Uvala Laped Beach, and when I went watched us win away to Wolverhampton on our promotion push in a little bar there, much to the amusement of the locals who asked who Brighton were, they must know now.
We stayed there for a week and then travelled to Split by coach, which was interesting to say the least, as half way the coach made a pit stop for the toilets, the toilets on the coach were broken. The wife and daughter got off to use the loo's and left her bag on the coach, yes you guessed it, the coach left without them, I only realised as I looked out of the window to see them chasing the coach we sped off....

I went down to the driver and asked him if he could go back, and he refused as the roads were too narrow and the next coach would be in another two days !

Lucky a passer by saw this happen and gave my wife and daughter a lift, they funnily enough knew the coach driver and called him on their mobile and told him to pull over at the next petrol station and they dropped them off.

Had she not helped, I would have been royally fecked as I did not know (in true man style) where we were staying in split, and they had no phone, or money.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

I bet!
However, I'm minded to take Serbia's view with as much of a pinch of salt as their mates' in Moscow

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Oooh a seafood platter with a glass on Rosé or 5 on a shaded terrace in Cavtat is it? Yes please sir, thank you sir.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Dubrovnik is gorgeous, but you really have to be prepared for the crowds. Try and get on the walls first thing and if you are adventurous, I would recommend trying the Octopus burger in Barba. A small good value place to eat in the Old Town. Some of the other better value places are either side of the Old Town.

We visited an Irish Pub in Dubrovnik a few years back (for the only justifiable reason I know of), to watch a Brighton game and Solly March's sister was with friends on the next table. These days however everyone wants to watch Brighton!

If you get the opportunity to visit any of the islands or just to take a boat trip up the coast, I would take it.
I visited that bar (assuming there is only one Irish bar in the old town) about 15 years ago.

I went to watch an England game. I was chatting to the barman and he told me that players like Ashley Cole should not be playing for England because he was black. After a few choice words in response, I was kicked out the pub. I don’t regret a thing.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Boat trip down to Cavtat for lunch is a nice way to spend a day. Can get a bit much in Dubrovnik old town when the cruise ships are in.

Depending on how long you are going for it’s well worth having a few trips planned as you can do most of the city in a day or two.
This. You can get a boat to Cavtat. Well worth the trip. Best restaurant in Cavtat is called Bugenvila - you need to book
days in advance. Dubrovnik becomes MOBBED when the cruise ships come in on a daily basis. The centre of Dubrovnik is very expensive
(rip off territory). Would also recommend a trip to Mostar if you can.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
This. You can get a boat to Cavtat. Well worth the trip. Best restaurant in Cavtat is called Bugenvila - you need to book
days in advance. Dubrovnik becomes MOBBED when the cruise ships come in on a daily basis. The centre of Dubrovnik is very expensive
(rip off territory). Would also recommend a trip to Mostar if you can.
And do go to Montenegro also. The beer there is worth the trip alone.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
As others have mentioned, it is expensive. However, my wife and I did do 1 day where we had breakfast lunch, dinner and beers for a total of £40, it can be done and was all within the old town.
If you head to this little harbour, not many people go down there, so not overly busy. There is a bar and a restaurant. The restaurant is great as is the bar. Go here for sunset. If you're lucky, as i was on 2 occasions, there maybe a wedding or birthday going on in the palace up on the hill side. Both times a guy went out on a small boat and did a fantastic firework display. This is literally right outside the walled city.

Screenshot_20230507_150100_Maps.jpg

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Walking the walls is great. When within the walled city and looking for a beer or 2 and a spot to eat go off the main street a couple of roads back and the prices improve when you find locals bars. Anywhere with cruise people eating with cost you a fortune.

As previously mentioned I'd 2nd the cable car suggestion. When we went they had exhibitions on about the balkans conflict up there which was pretty interesting.
But do it before the Cruise liners wake up, because then it becomes one vast queue of bewildered tourists who aren't sure what country they are in, let alone what city.
Very expensive in the main tourist trap areas

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The main cemetery on the hillside overlooking the town has mostly Muslim gravestones with dates from the Yugoslav war on them, very moving.
Yeah... The trip up there was quite interesting going through the Croatian bit of Bosnia, all the murals... Also went to the Catholic pilgrimage site at Medjugorje.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here