Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dropping Brezovan?

Well?

• Total voters

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Provides competition? Holy shit. Brez and Custard are only good for wiping car winscreens. Hope PIG doesn't read your comment as he'll be offended.

You come across as a thoroughly unpleasant and rather uncouth youth.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I thought Poyet handled the situation perfectly when Greer was out due to suspension and Elphick came in and did a good job with El-Abd a few years ago. Poyet didn't immediately restore his captain once he was available, but waited. There wasn't any doubt that Greer would be restored, however.

If Garcia used a similar method, it means that second string players such as Brezovan know their manager will reward good performances by them, and that's very good motivation when they have to be patient all those long months when out of the side. At the same time, Kuszczak gets back so all's well that ends well.

Besides, if it's true that goalkeeper's are a breed apart, I doubt Kuszczak would begrudge Brezovan getting some game time. Much more likely that he would respect the job Brezovan's done at short notice after the Pole's pre-match warm-up injury.
Agree to that comment generally, but not with star players or goalkeepers. You play your best goalkeeper available. Tomas is in a different class to Big Pete and should have started today.

Bridcutt had to come back in the moment he was fully fit and did.

Ulloah should have started today (and should definately start Boxing Day) and if he can't last 90 minutes sub him. He is a class above Barnes, and should start over him without a doubt.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh i agree....which is why i wouldn't wait for him to make a 'clanger'.

That's the problem. Brez has done really well but there's no doubt PIG is the number one club keeper. You can't wait for Brez to make a howler to restore him IMO since he has been happy to be 2nd and even 3rd choice in the recent past. PIG still harbours dreams of starting in the Premier League.

And anyway Sexy Pete* nearly did make that howler today. That quick return pass to Bruno was suicidal.

*apologies for mixed use of keeper's nicknames but typing Eastern European names on an iPad at this time of night isn't going to end well.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brezovan showed today with one punch/flap that he is a disaster waiting to happen so bring back TK immediately there is no comparison in their all round ability.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
It surprised how much the crowd booed Brezovan late in the second half when he kept the ball the ball at his feet, waiting for options to pass to. The fans were desperate for him to play the ball forward so we could try and get a goal. From what I saw today he seemed like a safe pair of hands, although he wasn't troubled a lot by Hudds.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
It surprised how much the crowd booed Brezovan late in the second half when he kept the ball the ball at his feet, waiting for options to pass to. The fans were desperate for him to play the ball forward so we could try and get a goal. From what I saw today he seemed like a safe pair of hands, although he wasn't troubled a lot by Hudds.

I didnt hear any booing today. Thats a bit unfair on Brez if so.

I think the keep till the reading game is a sensible option but we dont know what the GK coach is saying to Oscar, for all we know PIG might be still slightly off his best which makes any descion far easier.

Brez was wrong footed in the first half when their shot went wide right he was just stood there feet planted I did wonder if PIG would have been in that situation.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
TK is a better goalkeeper definitely but you can't drop a goalkeeper when he's kept 2 clean sheets in 3, so Brez should keep his place for the time being.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
The PiG is the best keeper in the division!, Brez isn't bad but his distribution is very poor!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Is our recent goals against record good because of brez or is it because of El abd coming in for Greer ?

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
PB's done brilliantly, but TK is by far the better keeper, so drop the former.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Brezovan will be dropped at first opportunity . I think unfortunately this will be due to him costing us points

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Brezovan has been great, really helped us out. But of course you should play your first choice when available. It's madness to suggest otherwise. What should we do, play him until he makes a mistake, and then drop him? That would a) mean he's made a mistake that probably costs us points, and b) dent his confidence. And then when Kuszczak makes a mistake, we won't put Brez back in. And even if we played Brez and he didn't make any howlers, he's still not able to make some of the difficult saves that Kuszczak can.

Brezovan is not our first choice, there's no need to pretend otherwise, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
While Thomas isn't 100% there's no point risking him. That said I was very nervous with Brez yesterday. One pointless step over when he could have passed it, one flap and when he just stood there for what seemed like an eternity I thought he was having a breakdown.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As others have mentioned, it's more complicated when you have a squad of players.

You don't want any player thinking they are undroppable. They may be the best at the club in that position, but if they get complacent and feel like they don't have to perform to keep playing, you risk that player losing form and then keeping an underperforming player just because when he is on form he is good. Kuszczak needs to be kept on his toes.

Conversely, if someone is playing well and has to drop out of a game or two for injury reasons, you don't want to punish him, you don't want injured players to hide injuries for fear of losing their place.

The keep the shirt philosophy also would punish any player who misses a game because of an international call up (not so much an issue now we're in the championship and get international breaks).

You want every member of the squad to work hard and have that desire to be part of the team, to be ready to step in and know that if they perform well enough it can be their break so that they do give their all and are rewarded for it. If you drop someone just because he wasn't previously considered the best in that position, even if he is doing all that is asked of him you risk other players not bothering to train that hard because it doesn't matter how well they play when stepping in for an injured first teamer, they'll be dropped when that guy is fit.

It was also be wrong to drop Brezovan as soon as he makes a mistake, because that then sends the message that a mistake will cost you your place in the team making people nervous, making people cautious, too scared to take risks they need to take, etc.

Given the complexities of the situation from a squad bigger picture/man management position, this is probably the best time of the season for the problem to arise. A run of games we should have a good chance at even with 2nd/3rd choice keeper, plus a run of 5 games in 15 days allows Brezovan to be rewarded with a little run in goal, and the fixture pile up provides a squad rotation excuse for dropping him so as not to send the wrong message to other fringe players and without waiting for him to cost us points both for our results and for the message that would send.

- - - Updated - - -

While Thomas isn't 100% there's no point risking him. That said I was very nervous with Brez yesterday. One pointless step over when he could have passed it, one flap and when he just stood there for what seemed like an eternity I thought he was having a breakdown.

I found that step over quite amusing. When he just stood there I was more frustrated that he had no options. The flap did give me a flutter of nerves, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here