Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving while on a mobile phone!

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Hang on you face palm this quote "Well apparently so whilst driving but its safer to smoke a joint then use your phone." What's that got to do with policeman? Or did you miss quote?

It was in conjunction with this:
Priceless.

Stand in front of a police man and use your phone. what will happen? Nothing

Stand in front of a police man and smoke a Joint. what will happen? Caution/Arrested

What a fu*ked up world we live in.

Although I did read you post as "Well apparently so whilst driving, (pause) but its safer to smoke a joint then use your phone." which indicates to me that you believe, based on the stats provided, that a joint is safer than a mobile phone. I may have misquoted your error. Its a little off boil anyway so shall we move on?:thumbsup:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Using your mobile at a petrol station will NOT cause an explosion! Stupid law, there has never been an incident in the whole world at a petrol station caused by a phone.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I see it all the time. The best thing to do, if you get the drivers attention, is to put your hand to your ear as if you were making a call, and give them a knowing look. I wouldn't report it myself, it used to be an acceptable part of culture, and although potentially dangerous, most of us will have done it, even if it was legal at the time.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I see it all the time. The best thing to do, if you get the drivers attention, is to put your hand to your ear as if you were making a call, and give them a knowing look. I wouldn't report it myself, it used to be an acceptable part of culture, and although potentially dangerous, most of us will have done it, even if it was legal at the time.

One person a few years ago mentioned what he does in such situation. As a biker, he would coast up to their drivers side wing mirror and sound his horn for as long as they had their phone to thir ear..............made me chuckle but def not advised as I think it can only increase the levels of risk.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Using your mobile at a petrol station will NOT cause an explosion! Stupid law, there has never been an incident in the whole world at a petrol station caused by a phone.
Which, if you think about it, is actually a very strong argument for it being a worthwhile ban (is it really a law?!!) in the first place...

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Rather than increase the fine as was recently done, a better way would be for the police to confiscate the phone until it goes to court, that'd learn them.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Rather than increase the fine as was recently done, a better way would be for the police to confiscate the phone until it goes to court, that'd learn them.

What a stupid idea

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Although using a mobile phone while 'in control' of a moving vehicle runs the risk of killing someone whereas your examples don't.

True but I wasn't making that point. Mine was about the need to engage at all times is now cultural.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
It was in conjunction with this:
Priceless.

Stand in front of a police man and use your phone. what will happen? Nothing

Stand in front of a police man and smoke a Joint. what will happen? Caution/Arrested

What a fu*ked up world we live in.

Although I did read you post as "Well apparently so whilst driving, (pause) but its safer to smoke a joint then use your phone." which indicates to me that you believe, based on the stats provided, that a joint is safer than a mobile phone. I may have misquoted your error. Its a little off boil anyway so shall we move on?:thumbsup:
Agree, lets move on. :thumbsup:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I do this all the time, I find it quite amusing when people get pissed off about it!

The stupid thing is that I can eat a maccys or KFC burger at the wheel and nobody bats an eyelid. I stand by my record though, approx 100,000 miles since it was made illegal and never had one near miss and never been busted.

It's perfectly safe as long as you bear in mind it's illegal and take extra care to get the basics right - Slow down a bit to account for an extra bit of reaction time, keep an acceptable distance from the car in front and keep an eye in your mirror for colourful blue and yellow stripes.

If you crash when you're on the phone it's because you're a **** and a crap driver who couldn't pay attention or change their driving according to the conditions. Every driver risks killing someone the second they get on the road, doing it because you were on the phone is no better or worse than for any other reason - there's tons of things that can take your attention if you don't recognise tham and deal with them.

New car is being delivered next month though and it's got built in bluetooth so it's with great sadness that I won't be able to wind up the busybodies anymore :down:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I do this all the time, I find it quite amusing when people get pissed off about it!

The stupid thing is that I can eat a maccys or KFC burger at the wheel and nobody bats an eyelid. I stand by my record though, approx 100,000 miles since it was made illegal and never had one near miss and never been busted.

It's perfectly safe as long as you bear in mind it's illegal and take extra care to get the basics right - Slow down a bit to account for an extra bit of reaction time, keep an acceptable distance from the car in front and keep an eye in your mirror for colourful blue and yellow stripes.

If you crash when you're on the phone it's because you're a **** and a crap driver who couldn't pay attention or change their driving according to the conditions. Every driver risks killing someone the second they get on the road, doing it because you were on the phone is no better or worse than for any other reason - there's tons of things that can take your attention if you don't recognise tham and deal with them.

New car is being delivered next month though and it's got built in bluetooth so it's with great sadness that I won't be able to wind up the busybodies anymore :down:

Cool attitude man, very cool.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I believe the government are looking at putting the penalty for using a phone at the wheel up to six points now (currently three).

Might make people think, I don't know.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I suppose you might be fishing, ...... But if not, does being a total p1llock come naturally, or does it take years of practice?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here