Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving while on a mobile phone!

ilduc944

May 1, 2014
My point is why is it illegal to use your phone and drive but not to Eat, Drink (non alcohol) and drive?

What was/is the stats for people killed by drivers using phones before it was illegal?

I think its got more to do with making money, millions drive, millions use phones lets make a law the combines the two and make loads of dosh.

Look what's happening to diesel drivers. They got to pay more tax and pay double to go into the centre of London (2020). Is it fair that because you use a different fuel u get punished?

It is all a cash cow when it comes to driving.

There was a really good programme, think called Traffic Cops, a few years ago now, where there was a crash down Hampshire way involving an HGV slamming into the back of a car, killing the occupants (more than one but not sure of total). The truck basically squashed the car against the back of another vehicle and you couldn't tell what it was originally. Lives wrecked and families distraught - including the driver's family as he went to prison. Made for some very sobering viewing but I always think back to it when I see drivers using mobiles.

Actually the difference is that a mobile phone is specifically banned from use. The others will come under the heading of 'careless driving' if it is shown that it makes your driving bad.

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i sometimes use the motorway into work ....i frequently see people with bowls of cereal on their laps ,knitting , books /newspapers in hand and thermo style mugs of tea , coffee, whatever...! the other day there was a person in front of me who was weaving about on the road so i over took her on the kerb side , she was eating a bowl of spaghetti ...ffs...........i honestly scratch my head in disbelief sometimes ,there are some right idiots out there...!!

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Priceless.

Stand in front of a police man and use your phone. what will happen? Nothing

Stand in front of a police man and smoke a Joint. what will happen? Caution/Arrested

What a fu*ked up world we live in.

Correct because one is illegal and the other is not.

However, do them while driving a vehicle both are illegal.........

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
What a fu*ked up world we live in.

If this thread has you thinking that then, for your own sake, don't go near anything like the Israel one.

For what's it worth, I can't stand drivers on their mobile as they tend to be paying sod all attention to what's going on around them, in many cases that I've seen/been the other driver it's only due to the ability and awareness of other roadusers that accidents have been avoided.

As for the 'why can you eat etc. at the wheel argument, I'm pretty sure it has a caveat for paying undue attention in there somewhere. Regardless, chewing a fruit pastille or taking a swig of water is in no way the same as trying to hold a conversation with someone that isn't there. They require a lot less concentration for one thing.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
My commute takes me the length of the a23 twice a day and you see it all on there. A favourite is young women staring down at their lap texting or on Facebook, with 2 fingers on the wheel as the other 2 are occupied holding a cigarette. It makes my pi$$ boil.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Statistics

Research to examine the effects on young drivers using smartphones to access Facebook found that:
When sending and receiving Facebook messages -
reaction times slowed by around 38% and participants often missed key events;
participants were unable to maintain a central lane position resulting in an increased number of unintentional lane departures;
participants were unable to respond as quickly to the car in front gradually changing speed.

When comparing these new results to previous studies the level of impairment on driving is greater than the effects of drinking, cannabis and texting:-
Using a smartphone for social networking slows reaction times by 37.6 per cent.
Texting slows reaction times by 37.4 per cent.
Hands-free mobile phone conversation slows reaction times by 26.5 per cent.
Cannabis slows reaction times by 21 per cent.
Alcohol (above UK driving limit but below 100mg per 100ml of blood) slows reaction time by between six and 15 per cent.
Alcohol at the legal limit slows reaction times by 12.5 per cent.

Source: IAM – March 2012

All sounds very scientific but those reaction times are only comparing those of individuals when doing the things you list.

There seems to be ample proof that using a mobile certainly reduces reaction times but very little to say whether or not my reaction time when using a mobile is worse than yours when you aren't.

Should someone whose reaction times when concentrating solely on their driving is slower than say the average person's time when using a mobile be banned from driving? ??? If so maybe there should be some sort of measurement taken when applying for a licence.

Research suggests that from the age of 24 reaction time, especially for multi-task operations such as driving, increases to a point where at 70 times have increased by more than the 38% you quoted for using Facebook.

Obviously nobody would approve of a 24 year old using Facebook whilst driving but does that suggest those same people don't approve of the over 70s driving?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
i would say that eating, picking ones nose, doing his/her make up etc is covered by Careless/inconsiderate driving according to the law

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
All sounds very scientific but those reaction times are only comparing those of individuals when doing the things you list.

There seems to be ample proof that using a mobile certainly reduces reaction times but very little to say whether or not my reaction time when using a mobile is worse than yours when you aren't.

Should someone whose reaction times when concentrating solely on their driving is slower than say the average person's time when using a mobile be banned from driving? ??? If so maybe there should be some sort of measurement taken when applying for a licence.

Research suggests that from the age of 24 reaction time, especially for multi-task operations such as driving, increases to a point where at 70 times have increased by more than the 38% you quoted for using Facebook.

Obviously nobody would approve of a 24 year old using Facebook whilst driving but does that suggest those same people don't approve of the over 70s driving?

Very interesting points.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

If im infront of you on the inside lane of the M25 and I have to slam on the breaks while you are traveling at 70mph I hope you are using your mobile phone rather than having two hands on the wheel focused on the road ahead, for my sake, the others in my vehicle, the people around us......and yours!

Based on your theory.

ilduc944

May 1, 2014
If the Police can spend time catching speeding motorists they could also do this, driving while texting has got to be worse than doing 35MPH in a 30MPH road.

I was sitting on some steps recently next to the A259 in Peacehaven, the traffic was slowing down on the approach to a roundabout, I could see into every car that passed me and so many drivers were holding mobiles down by their legs and texting or dialling.

And that roundabout is where? Right next to the police station!

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Why the face palm? Its what statistics are saying.

I think you went a little down wind with your idea about smoking a joint vs using a mobile in front of a police officer.............

The statistics relate to reaction time while driving a vehiicle.

You can argue one way or the other as to whether a joint is safe or not, but on the road they are both illegal although the authorities have stated the reaction times are slower while using a mobile. they don't take into concideration the amount or strengh of your particular herbal choice though.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I think you went a little down wind with your idea about smoking a joint vs using a mobile in front of a police officer.............

The statistics relate to reaction time while driving a vehiicle.

You can argue one way or the other as to whether a joint is safe or not, but on the road they are both illegal although the authorities have stated the reaction times are slower while using a mobile. they don't take into concideration the amount or strengh of your particular herbal choice though.

Hang on you face palm this quote "Well apparently so whilst driving but its safer to smoke a joint then use your phone." What's that got to do with policeman? Or did you miss quote?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here