Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving in the heat: windows open or air-con on?

Driving in the heat: windows open or air-con on?

• Windows open / air-con off

Votes: 41 43.6%
  • Air-con on / windows closed

Votes: 45 47.9%
  • Windows open / air-con on (you freak)

Votes: 8 8.5%

• Total voters

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
that.

I went into Southampton at lunchtime, and the temperature hit Thirty FIVE degrees. THIRTY FIVE!

If its that hot outside, how much use is opening your windows going to be!?

Jesus: can we ever hope to keep up?

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
No-brainer for me, I suffer from Hay fever so the windows in my car stay firmly shut while having the air con on.
My mpg suffers (or seems to) but I stop sneezing and rubbing the hell out of my eyes.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Climate control on, windows open to vent the hot air as I drive away, then windows up so people can't hear me singing.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I usually an air con man, except on holidays when I've hired some cheap pile of shit. Then it's windows open all the way.

What about Sunroofs!? Can you still get sunroofs on new cars? They've always seemed an absolute waste of time to me.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Car: Aircon all the way. Never goes off, which prevents it smelling/losing cooling ability as quickly and its never needed anything more than a regas. And it clears the screen in winter
Van: Windows, because I decided I'd take the one Ford had in the port rather than waiting for a build-to-order to arrive from Turkey. So don't have AC.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
My car is too old for air-con (1998 Corsa) so it's windows for me...and sun-roof.

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
Depends also keeping the aircon setting realistic, setting it at 18° when outside its 30° will make it feel like you are getting out into an oven and in my experience end up with a very sore throat a few days later, I normally set it around 24° when on a fast road and window down in traffic.

Noldi

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Windows open but only because my air con has packed up. I thougt it needed a re-charge on the gas but was informed that the air con compressor has failed, once I was quoted £600 to installed a new one, I too discovered the delights of an open window. My car is only six years old so I will eventually get it fixed but for now I will continue to enjoy the added bonuses of, Drivers Elbow and reduced fuel consumption.:)

Snap. Are you me?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The car is far too hot for air-con to work when you first get in, so I start with the windows down, to at least get the car to the ambient temperature. Then it's windows up and air-con on.

Same here.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
I usually an air con man, except on holidays when I've hired some cheap pile of shit. Then it's windows open all the way.

What about Sunroofs!? Can you still get sunroofs on new cars? They've always seemed an absolute waste of time to me.

The sunroof on my car is completely pointless. When open it makes the car no cooler but just creates a very annoying noise the faster I am driving. However it is impossible to leave it closed when sunny as to do so means being slowly cooked as the heat magnifies through the glass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here