Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving in the heat: windows open or air-con on?

Driving in the heat: windows open or air-con on?

• Windows open / air-con off

Votes: 41 43.6%
  • Air-con on / windows closed

Votes: 45 47.9%
  • Windows open / air-con on (you freak)

Votes: 8 8.5%

• Total voters

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Always windows down even travelling overseas. Can't stand air-con. Also it saves fuel if its off plus no maintainance required.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Only use aircon on big A roads or motorways as its too noisy to have the windows open.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Here is a study I found via Google:

Windows up, AC off: 35 MPG
Windows up, AC on: 34.4 MPG
Windows down (all four), AC off: 33.8 MPG

Obviously it will all depend on the car and the journey.

thanks for that,not as bad as I thought

Interesting that with all windows down it uses more fuel than AC

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Windows open but only because my air con has packed up. I thougt it needed a re-charge on the gas but was informed that the air con compressor has failed, once I was quoted £600 to installed a new one, I too discovered the delights of an open window. My car is only six years old so I will eventually get it fixed but for now I will continue to enjoy the added bonuses of, Drivers Elbow and reduced fuel consumption.:)

Last edited:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Climate on for me, but my motor has an athermic front screen which stops about 90% of the heat coming through it, tints on all the other windows except front doors so I still get about 43 mpg around town as once the inside is down to temp I just stick recirculate on and Robert is my fathers brother :)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Aircon always for me. Much cooler and considerably less noisy than the windows. And, as already mentioned, windows open ruins your car's aerodynamics, so aircon is probably the cheaper option if you're going at any sort of speed.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
For years my default driving ventilation option has been windows closed/air-con on. It's just what I've done.

The little lad has recently asked for his window open and as the whole world knows that air-con is all but useless if a window is even only partially open, the air-con has been turned off and the all the car windows fully open.

And, by jimminy, what a delight it is - I'd completely forgotten. Even after he's been dropped off at nursery the air-con has remained off and the windows open.

What do you do?

Hit the button which puts the roof down?

Where is the convertible option?:angry:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
At slow speeds, windows down, but at any sort of speed the air-con goes on.

As others have stated, it is more fuel efficient having the air-con on than driving with your windows down.

And the car interior gets cooler quicker with air-con.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Windows open and no air con to set off and dissipate any heat build up ... then air con on windows up :)

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I have my windows down. If I dare to put my air con on, my fuel consumption goes sky high - seriously. I get approx 35mpg without air con. With it on, I get about 32mpg. Strange considering having windows down is normally worse ????

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What do you do?
The car is far too hot for air-con to work when you first get in, so I start with the windows down, to at least get the car to the ambient temperature. Then it's windows up and air-con on.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Once it gets to mid 30's then windows up and air on on as a rule. Most of the year though windows down.:blush:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Having just got a car with air conditioning after 3 years without I can plant myself FIRMLY in the "windows up/AC on" camp.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
For years my default driving ventilation option has been windows closed/air-con on. It's just what I've done.

The little lad has recently asked for his window open and as the whole world knows that air-con is all but useless if a window is even only partially open, the air-con has been turned off and the all the car windows fully open.

And, by jimminy, what a delight it is - I'd completely forgotten. Even after he's been dropped off at nursery the air-con has remained off and the windows open.

What do you do?

Christ on a bike: you've been driving from Somerset to Sussex every other week for however many years with the air-con on? Don't ever come on here & moan about the cost of fuel again :p

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is the correct answer. I'm staggered it's taken so long to get there

that.

I went into Southampton at lunchtime, and the temperature hit Thirty FIVE degrees. THIRTY FIVE!

If its that hot outside, how much use is opening your windows going to be!?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Driving through France recently, and in the last few days here in the UK... roof down, air-con full blast on the feet!

snap!

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
When driving around town - window open air con off
Dual carriage way/motorway - window closed air con on. (Too noisy the other way around)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here