Driver's Twitter Boast About 'Hitting Cyclist'

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This. That said I drive into town each day via OSR over Dyke Road and down towards Preston Circus. The number of cyclists I see trying to squeeze between the brick pillars and large lorries under the viaduct amazes me. There's no way the driver can see them and they're inches from being crushed between the pillar and tonnes of metal. I do wonder if they actually care about their own safety.

That is one place where cycles should really be allowed on the pavement.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
One of the worst things you can do ON ANY ROAD VEHICLE is attempt to jump a queue of traffic, or undertake on the left hand side.

If you're at a queue for traffic lights, and you're behind a number of cars waiting, you should stay exactly where you are, and wait your turn.

I suspect that a lot of cyclists who do this have never actually driven a motor vehicle themselves. What they should be encouraged to do is undertake Road Proficiencey tests, just as I was encouraged to do at primary school. In fact, you were not allowed to ride a bycycle to school until you could display the East or West Sussex Road Proficiency test badges on your handlebars.

The scheme is now run by RoSPA, and should really be made mandatory. And I say that as both a cyclist and a motorist.

Can't agree with that. At many junctions and lights they now have boxes for cyclists at the front. Cyclists should work their way through the stationary traffic to get here.

Firstly if you can get away quickly as a cyclist, it minimises the unpredictable wobble as you try to get up to speed and more importantly, if there is a left turn at the junction, you should be clear before larger vehicles attempt to make the left turn. This is a key safety point.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
A lot of vehicles these days are designed to deform in an impact as part of their crash worthiness, usually by making body panels out of soft'ish' plastic. That's why there was so much effort to get bullbars removed from 4 x 4 's, as they were contributing to more injuries. Having bullbars on your vehicle was akin to turning it into a battering ram. The upside is that these panels are cheap to manufacture, and relatively easy to replace.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Driving into an advanced cycle box (marked out in the road) when the lights are red is an offence. It carries a £60 penalty and three points on your driving licence (maximum £1,000 fine if it goes to court). Police have some discretion over which bit of the Road Traffic Act to use, but most likely it will fall under "Failure to comply with a traffic sign or road marking.

However I read somewhere once that the MET had prosecuted over 3K cyclists for going through red lights (which is good) but only 8 motorists for sitting in an advanced cycling box (which is bad). I believe that the first one may be easier to prove.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Can't agree with that. At many junctions and lights they now have boxes for cyclists at the front. Cyclists should work their way through the stationary traffic to get here.

Firstly if you can get away quickly as a cyclist, it minimises the unpredictable wobble as you try to get up to speed and more importantly, if there is a left turn at the junction, you should be clear before larger vehicles attempt to make the left turn. This is a key safety point.

I'm not convinced that adds to cyclists safety, because car drivers are not expecting people normally to undertake them on the left hand side, they're usually concentrating on the lights, and don't always check their mirrors. If everyone waited in line, and took their turn before attempting any manouvre, there shouldn't be any problems.

You should, as a cyclist, make sure you change down to a low gear before you stop, it's called anticipation, and be able to pull away in a low gear, so the unpredictable wobble doesn't happen. Speed ( or more correctly acceleration ) should not be your primary motive for getting to the front. If you can't get through the lights on the first attempt, you carry on waiting in the queue, just as you would in a car.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
One of the worst things you can do ON ANY ROAD VEHICLE is attempt to jump a queue of traffic, or undertake on the left hand side.

If you're at a queue for traffic lights, and you're behind a number of cars waiting, you should stay exactly where you are, and wait your turn.

I suspect that a lot of cyclists who do this have never actually driven a motor vehicle themselves. What they should be encouraged to do is undertake Road Proficiencey tests, just as I was encouraged to do at primary school. In fact, you were not allowed to ride a bycycle to school until you could display the East or West Sussex Road Proficiency test badges on your handlebars. That required you to undertake the same study of the highway code as a motorist would, and have training in a safe place on how to conduct yourself in traffic, using hand signals, having your bike illuminated in the dark, making sure your bike was roadworthy etc etc.....

The scheme is now run by RoSPA, and should really be made mandatory. And I say that as both a cyclist and a motorist.

Riding up the left hand side of large vehicles at junctions is NEVER justified. EVER. Sit behind it in primary position. It can't kill you, and you can see where it's going. Nothing behind you can pull round to turn across you. 'Getting away quickly' might save you 5 seconds - what are you planning to do with that time saved? Chill out, don't get killed, and I suggest you consider cycle training.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I'm not convinced that adds to cyclists safety, because car drivers are not expecting people normally to undertake them on the left hand side, they're usually concentrating on the lights, and don't always check their mirrors. If everyone waited in line, and took their turn before attempting any manouvre, there shouldn't be any problems.

You should, as a cyclist, make sure you change down to a low gear before you stop, it's called anticipation, and be able to pull away in a low gear, so the unpredictable wobble doesn't happen. Speed ( or more correctly acceleration ) should not be your primary motive for getting to the front. If you can't get through the lights on the first attempt, you carry on waiting in the queue, just as you would in a car.

Although I largely agree, there's nothing inherently wrong or dangerous about slowly filtering past stationary cars. Once the lights change (to amber) move to primary position and pull away with the car in front.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Although I largely agree, there's nothing inherently wrong or dangerous about slowly filtering past stationary cars. Once the lights change (to amber) move to primary position and pull away with the car in front.

That's ok until a passenger decides to open his door and get out whilst the car is waiting, right in front of you, or a pedestrian suddenly appears between the cars on your right hand side, from the right, because they've decided it's a perfect time and place to cross the road. Not saying that either event represents satisfactory behaviour, but in the interests of self -preservation, I stay back in my position in the queue when on a bike. Similarly when overtaking stationary vehicles I try to leave a doors width between myself and the vehicle on my left, just in case. It's not always possible though as you don't want to cross the centre white line to do so, it's a question of balancing one risk against the other.

As I said, people in cars don't check their mirrors, and passengers can't anyway because the mirrors are adjusted for the drivers seat, not for the passengers seat.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Riding up the left hand side of large vehicles at junctions is NEVER justified. EVER. Sit behind it in primary position. It can't kill you, and you can see where it's going. Nothing behind you can pull round to turn across you. 'Getting away quickly' might save you 5 seconds - what are you planning to do with that time saved? Chill out, don't get killed, and I suggest you consider cycle training.

This is not about speed or time, purely about safety. It is very simple in a car to move forward in a series of short jerky movements, even though it is better to accelerate smoothly. This is far more difficult to achieve on a bike. I would agree that it is generally safer to move up on the right hand side, but sometimes this is not possible and particularly where there is a cycle lane, it makes more sense to move up the left hand side, in stationary traffic. If a cyclist reaches a set of lights and can see the traffic is about to move, I agree that the primary position is the best course.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
That's ok until a passenger decides to open his door and get out whilst the car is waiting, right in front of you, or a pedestrian suddenly appears between the cars on your right hand side, from the right, because they've decided it's a perfect time and place to cross the road. Not saying that either event represents satisfactory behaviour, but in the interests of self -preservation, I stay back in my position in the queue when on a bike. Similarly when overtaking stationary vehicles I try to leave a doors width between myself and the vehicle on my left, just in case. It's not always possible though as you don't want to cross the centre white line to do so, it's a question of balancing one risk against the other.

As I said, people in cars don't check their mirrors, and passengers can't anyway because the mirrors are adjusted for the drivers seat, not for the passengers seat.

You're not wrong at all, hence why I say slowly. I'd certainly recommend leaving the door's width gap. I wouldn't criticise you for your approach, but if I did that (in London) I'd never get anywhere. I have a continual cost/benefit analysis running through my head when riding in traffic - no risk is taken that would cause significant harm to me or others, and any 'risk' to myself is calculated.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle

Some of us only have 1 gear!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-25000788

Way, of Watton, was acquitted of driving without due care and attention.

She was ordered to pay a £337 fine, £300 in costs and was given seven points on her licence.

Pretty lenient considering she seemed to realise that she knocked someone over and failed to stop. I guess that was not the charge..?

She said: "The tweet was spur of the moment. It was ridiculous and stupid and I apologise to all cyclists.

"It is the biggest regret of my life so far."

The tweeting or the hitting of a cyclist?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Toby Hockley.jpg

You don't often see a face as punchable as this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports