Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Drinking in sight of the pitch - a survey

Do you agree the law should change to decriminalise drinking in sight of a football pitch?

• I agree.

Votes: 58 18.2%
  • I agree provided the bars are closed during the game

Votes: 89 27.9%
  • Not fussed either way

Votes: 28 8.8%
  • I disagree. I don't like the idea of flying beer after a goal

Votes: 99 31.0%
  • I disagree. The law is satisfactory as it is

Votes: 45 14.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Maybe it's already been mentioned?, as I haven't read the whole thread.

Wouldn't the FSA be better concentrating on trying to remove the ludicrous ban on alcohol on minibuses and coaches going to games?

Bizarre that you can drink as much as you like on a train, but rock up at a ground with a minibus or coach and get caught with alcohol on board and you'll have it confiscated and risk being turned straight round and refused admission.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's a legal matter at present because you can be prosecuted and receive a criminal record if convicted.

We don't know yet if 'most people are against it'. We do know we - as a football crowd and as a society - have changed in the 36 years since the law was brought in. Enough to not criminalise people who drink a floppy plastic glass of wine while being able to see a football pitch on matchday? Well, that's what the survey is for.

It's part of a wholesale look at legislation on football. It may well be that the majority of football fans are against decriminalisation, in which case, she won't take it any further. This is being done in partnership with the FA, the PL, the FL, the FSA and many other bodies.

Amended.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
English football crowds looked great at the final of the Euro's.

We already know there's a big marching powder issue at games these days, is adding more alcohol into the mix a good idea? Do you not think that part of the reason why it has been better over the past 36 years is because you can't drink during the game?

It is just seems an unnecessary thing to spend any time over changing. I can't see any particular benefit in changing the law at all, only problems.

I understand your point, but would counter by saying I am far from convinced that decriminalising drinking in sight of the pitch automatically needs to lead to 'more alcohol' - at least not to the extent that would need to worry anyone.

Even if, for the sake of argument, Brighton were to allow drinking in sight of the pitch, bars could close at 2.55pm, and rather than people lorry their drink, they be allowed to take it in with them. So the worst scenario is one extra pint, which even then isn't exactly obligatory. There does seem to be a narrative that because people can drink in sight of the pitch, that they are compelled to do so.

We had these exact same arguments when pubs were allowed to open all day (mid 80s), then when the law changed to supposedly allow 24-hour drinking (2003). And yet nothing major happened.

I've yet to see anything that convinces me that this will lead to a major culture shift, especially if the bars are shut during the game.

However, if Brighton choose not to allow drinking in sight of the pitch, at least if someone does do it, they won't risk becoming a criminal on the back of it.

Beer showers are a bit silly though, and I can't offer a counter-argument. Given the enclosed space, I'd imagine (albeit without evidence) that self-policing will soon stop it as a thing to do within a stadium.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Maybe it's already been mentioned?, as I haven't read the whole thread.

Wouldn't the FSA be better concentrating on trying to remove the ludicrous ban on alcohol on minibuses and coaches going to games?

Bizarre that you can drink as much as you like on a train, but rock up at a ground with a minibus or coach and get caught with alcohol on board and you'll have it confiscated and risk being turned straight round and refused admission.

They are. It's all part of the campaign, but they wanted rough numbers on the stadium drinking first.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I understand your point, but would counter by saying I am far from convinced that decriminalising drinking in sight of the pitch automatically needs to lead to 'more alcohol' - at least not to the extent that would need to worry anyone.

Even if, for the sake of argument, Brighton were to allow drinking in sight of the pitch, bars could close at 2.55pm, and rather than people lorry their drink, they be allowed to take it in with them. So the worst scenario is one extra pint, which even then isn't exactly obligatory. There does seem to be a narrative that because people can drink in sight of the pitch, that they are compelled to do so.

We had these exact same arguments when pubs were allowed to open all day (mid 80s), then when the law changed to supposedly allow 24-hour drinking (2003). And yet nothing major happened.

I've yet to see anything that convinces me that this will lead to a major culture shift, especially if the bars are shut during the game.

However, if Brighton choose not to allow drinking in sight of the pitch, at least if someone does do it, they won't risk becoming a criminal on the back of it.

Beer showers are a bit silly though, and I can't offer a counter-argument. Given the enclosed space, I'd imagine (albeit without evidence) that self-policing will soon stop it as a thing to do within a stadium.

Interesting theory. And if you are wrong my day out gets ruined. No thanks. I like a drink but there’s a time and a place.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
More than happy not being covered in someone else's beer every time we score. Couple before kick off and one at half time if you can squeeze it in is plenty.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
NO
Some moron threw their drink all over me at Palace, think it was Fanta Orange. Don't want pints raining down on me at the Amex.
Allow those in corporate suites to have the curtains open only if there is a window in place. No open terrace with people hanging over the top spilling beer on fans below.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Mixed feelings, heart says yea but head says no; I can’t be bothered with getting up and down every five minutes because someone wants yet another pint or a piss, having beer spilt on me as people struggle through the seats holding 3 pints, having beer puddles around me from knocked over pints and being covered in it when we score as pints are luzzed in the air.

Things are okay as they are.

Pretty much where I'm at.

I resent football fans being treated like children that can't be trusted.

However, from very limited experience at 20/20 games at Hove, the constant procession of people up and down with pints during the game got me right fed up.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean

There would be people that would buy 5 pints at 2.45 then try to carry them to their seat to get them through the half, not many perhaps but enough to be a pain.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
People talking about beer throwing at Rugby stadia must’ve been to different games than me. I’ve been to at about 30+ internationals over the years - both at Twickenham and abroad - as well as a few club games and have never been covered in beer at a moment of excitement. Either I’m lucky or it just doesn’t happen very often! Most people just put their drink at their feet or at least remember that their hands are full if we score, don’t they?

Current laws probably cause more inconvenience with people getting up for half time early so that they can get into the concourse i time to buy and neck a pint. Allowing you to take it back to your seat to finish off your pre-match or half-time pint would be nice.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
People talking about beer throwing at Rugby stadia must’ve been to different games than me. I’ve been to at about 30+ internationals over the years - both at Twickenham and abroad - as well as a few club games and have never been covered in beer at a moment of excitement. Either I’m lucky or it just doesn’t happen very often! Most people just put their drink at their feet or at least remember that their hands are full if we score, don’t they?

Current laws probably cause more inconvenience with people getting up for half time early so that they can get into the concourse i time to buy and neck a pint. Allowing you to take it back to your seat to finish off your pre-match or half-time pint would be nice.

The spilling as Rupert comes back with another 4 pints, or the biological necessity that folk tanked up with even more liquid need more loo visits mid-match. So everyone else has to keep letting people past.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
There are too many variables to say yes or no.
Would I like to take my half drank beer to my seat instead of necking it... yes
Would I want people getting up every 5 minutes to get a beer.... no (so close bars during the game)
Do I want to be covered in beer due to some idiot throwing it... no (so maybe only allow a plastic bottle, at the same price as a pint, to reduce the odds of that happening)
One drink per person rule would also help with the inclination to chuck it in the air.
It's a very difficult question to answer really. Incidentally at the Leicester match there was a gentleman sat near to me who was taking sips of his smuggled miniature wine bottle, I did find that quite amusing. :)
They could make half time 30 minutes so we get longer at the bar. :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't help thinking the people behind this will be a little disappointed with the results, if our poll is the norm and not an outlier.

I imagine the 'not fussed' option would be used to swing the argument in favour of removing the ban so they can 'Do A Johnson' by giving us something we don't actually want.

For what it's worth, nothing, I'll repeat myself from the previous thread.

The ban is ridiculous, pathetic and insulting.

But sadly it's also very much needed by virtue of the fact the minority that will abuse drinking in sight of the pitch are ridiculous, pathetic and insulting.

D

Deleted member 2719

Nothing to see here as far as I am concerned.

Drink more beer/spirit prematch and half time.
Let's face it what's the point in supping when you can wang a few down yer throat. :drink::drink::drink::drink::whisky::whisky::whisky:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There are too many variables to say yes or no.
Would I like to take my half drank beer to my seat instead of necking it... yes
Would I want people getting up every 5 minutes to get a beer.... no (so close bars during the game)
Do I want to be covered in beer due to some idiot throwing it... no (so maybe only allow a plastic bottle, at the same price as a pint, to reduce the odds of that happening)
One drink per person rule would also help with the inclination to chuck it in the air.
It's a very difficult question to answer really. Incidentally at the Leicester match there was a gentleman sat near to me who was taking sips of his smuggled miniature wine bottle, I did find that quite amusing. :)
They could make half time 30 minutes so we get longer at the bar. :wink:

One drink per person would mean even more people squeezing past to get to the bar. I can't see that the one drink rule would prevent luzzing as I'm guessing the morons that are so inclined wouldn't think about that!

I would like to drink in sight of the pitch but the cons far outweigh the pros.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
In 2018 I went to see Croatia vs Spain in Zagreb (I didn't go to Zagreb specifically, for the game, I was there anyway when the game was on so I went). I was sat in the home end with the locals. Not only was beer allowed in the stands, they actually had guys coming round with trays selling it in the stand. There was no beer throwing, and Croatia fans don't exactly have an image of being clam and quiet.

The crowd itself was mental and the atmosphere was insane (Croatia won 3-2 with the last goal in the 90th minute and all 5 goals in the second half), but the beer in the stand really wasn't a problem.

I think it's a bit sad that people think English fans can't handle it when they do elsewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here