Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Drinking in sight of the pitch - a survey

Do you agree the law should change to decriminalise drinking in sight of a football pitch?

• I agree.

Votes: 58 18.2%
  • I agree provided the bars are closed during the game

Votes: 89 27.9%
  • Not fussed either way

Votes: 28 8.8%
  • I disagree. I don't like the idea of flying beer after a goal

Votes: 99 31.0%
  • I disagree. The law is satisfactory as it is

Votes: 45 14.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I would like the option to be able to get to the ground early, have a pint and sit watching the warm-ups with it. I also would quite enjoy a post-match pint looking at the pitch and enjoying the moment.

I don't want people squeezing past during the match every few moments balancing three pints.

If you can resolve that I would appreciate it.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I've picked agree, but want to add a big caveat.

I think clubs should be allowed to choose without it being a legal matter, I don't think an outright ban is appropriate anymore especially as it's allowed in other sports. This leaves them free to close bars during the game or do anything else they think will make it work.

On a personal basis I'm not particularly in favour of it happening where I sit in the North Stand.

Therein lies the point. At present, it IS a legal matter.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
No.

I love a very boozy day at the football as much as the next drunkard but the flying beer in the stands would be a nightmare.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Sadly any measure which increases the consumption of booze at a football game also increases the ‘moron meter’.

Perhaps it’s more manageable at smaller grounds but booze and big crowds are generally incompatible.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Loaded poll. OP, you should get a job with yougov

Drinking in your seat is a silly thing to be criminalised.

The club should be able to choose how it operates. It needs to get the consent of it's fans to decide one way or the other

A good compromise would be able to have "wet" and "dry" stands. As an example, North Stand could be a drinking one and in time people who want that will gravitate there and people who don't will gravitate away.

In principle could make the club more money

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Therein lies the point. At present, it IS a legal matter.

Can I ask, why is it a problem if it is a legal matter? If most people are against it anyway and there are good reasons why it was brought in in the first place, isn't this all a bit of a waste of time?

Seems to me there are more important things she could be taking her time over.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mixed feelings, heart says yea but head says no; I can’t be bothered with getting up and down every five minutes because someone wants yet another pint or a piss, having beer spilt on me as people struggle through the seats holding 3 pints, having beer puddles around me from knocked over pints and being covered in it when we score as pints are luzzed in the air.

Things are okay as they are.

Is the right answer.

I just read it again and it is still the right answer.

I am tempted to add that I would like to be able to drink wine from a real glass during the game, but I don't want anyone else to be able to, because I am a selfish b'stard. :shrug:

:wink:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think it would be a disaster for the majority of fans for the minority to be able to drink during a game. There are plenty who will get hammered, make it a toxic environment for everyone else without a care or a thought from the drunkard. It gives the stewards a problem, it gives those around them a problem and it could cause the drinker a long term problem if they get themselves a ban for behaviour whilst hammered.

We have some absolute wrong'uns in our stands and sobriety (or a relatively few pints before and during a game) is the only chance of them not being utter tossers. I recognise that one person's tosser is another person's "enjoying themselves". But my opinion is my opinion, I am against it.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Loaded poll. OP, you should get a job with yougov

Drinking in your seat is a silly thing to be criminalised.

The club should be able to choose how it operates. It needs to get the consent of it's fans to decide one way or the other

A good compromise would be able to have "wet" and "dry" stands. As an example, North Stand could be a drinking one and in time people who want that will gravitate there and people who don't will gravitate away.

In principle could make the club more money

How is it 'loaded'? I've merely asked people's opinion on decriminalisation, with two equally weighted caveats of the two main points of view from previous FSA polls.

Any other matter is for a conversation going forward, should fans as a whole wish to do so. For example, if this poll were to state that Brighton fans, hypothetically, were fundamentally in favour of a change in the law, it would in no way mean that the law must change. Ditto for the reverse opinion.

All you've done is load the argument in another manner with extra caveats which we haven't reached yet.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Haven’t voted because the options don’t work. I don’t want it because the law is satisfactory as it is and I don’t want to get covered in beer and I don’t want to sit next to people boozing all game.
Needs to be a straight agree/disagree poll.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I once read a study about late licensing and how it had the opposite effect and instead of allowing pubs to open beyond 11pm and people spreading their drinking out it just led to them consuming more and getting even more annihilated. Study was in the north east of England though.

I believe the current vernacular is "Mortal", in those parts.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As well as a dislike of being soaked in beer, I don't want a giant plastic snake falling on my head, and I suspect that the players and officials don't want beer, or plastic glasses thrown at them, Also as mentioned elsewhere the level of idiotic behaviour will increase.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can I ask, why is it a problem if it is a legal matter? If most people are against it anyway and there are good reasons why it was brought in in the first place, isn't this all a bit of a waste of time?

Quite.

For example, why don't we have lifts or even an Ajax Amsterdam style set of escalators to get us into West Upper? These could easily be built outside the stadium with access tunneled into the concourses.

The concourses themselves are inadequate, with too few beer outlets and far too few toilets. Frankly the stadium should be expanded so that is fit for purpose.

What about a smoking section? And somewhere to inject heroin?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

It's a legal matter at present because you can be prosecuted and receive a criminal record if convicted.

We don't know yet if 'most people are against it'. We do know we - as a football crowd and as a society - have changed in the 36 years since the law was brought in. Enough to not criminalise people who drink a glass of wine while being able to see a football pitch on matchday? Well, that's what the survey is for.

It's part of a wholesale look at legislation on football. It may well be that the majority of football fans are against decriminalisation, in which case, she won't take it any further. This is being done in partnership with the FA, the PL, the FL, the FSA and many other bodies.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I enjoy the novelty of being able to drink from your seat when watching football abroad in places like Germany, it's great, but I'd quite like to keep it just that, a novelty. Not sure it's gonna particularly add to the Amex experience, really, and as already mentioned the potential downsides are fairly obvious to all.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It's a legal matter at present because you can be prosecuted and receive a criminal record if convicted.

We don't know yet if 'most people are against it'. We do know we - as a football crowd and as a society - have changed in the 36 years since the law was brought in. Enough to not criminalise people who drink a glass of wine while being able to see a football pitch on matchday? Well, that's what the survey is for.

It's part of a wholesale look at legislation on football. It may well be that the majority of football fans are against decriminalisation, in which case, she won't take it any further. This is being done in partnership with the FA, the PL, the FL, the FSA and many other bodies.

English football crowds looked great at the final of the Euro's.

We already know there's a big marching powder issue at games these days, is adding more alcohol into the mix a good idea? Do you not think that part of the reason why it has been better over the past 36 years is because you can't drink during the game?

It is just seems an unnecessary thing to spend any time over changing. I can't see any particular benefit in changing the law at all, only problems.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Maybe the solution is to allow it in every stand but as soon as just one person thinks it's ok to luzz their beer then it get's banned in that stand.

I'm guessing within 3 games only the family section will still have the right to drink from their seats, which sounds odd!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
How is it 'loaded'? I've merely asked people's opinion on decriminalisation, with two equally weighted caveats of the two main points of view from previous FSA polls.

Any other matter is for a conversation going forward, should fans as a whole wish to do so. For example, if this poll were to state that Brighton fans, hypothetically, were fundamentally in favour of a change in the law, it would in no way mean that the law must change. Ditto for the reverse opinion.

All you've done is load the argument in another manner with extra caveats which we haven't reached yet.

Giving your opinion of the outcome in one of the options "don't like being hit by flying beer" is a polling no no.

That may be the outcome, but it's like having on a polling card options for, "vote labour" and one for "vote tory and suffer another 5 years of cuts"

It's up to the voters to work out the consequences. Hope i've helped :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here