Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drink Driving , light sentence tip

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How can that be known?
We don't know how many people drink and drive and don't get caught.
There could be millions driving over the limit every day and not having accidents.

I'm really not sure what your point is. Yes, we all know drink drivers get away with it on a regular basis, at all times of the night or day. Does that make it right, that they're putting themselves on the road in a position where they might not be able to react to (say) a child running out in front of them, or the car in front stopping suddenly?

In answer to Bad Ash: millions of pounds are spent on trying to influence driver behaviour as it is. If you get stopped for speeding, using your phone, driving without due care etc, you're more likely to be offered a course of some description than a fine & points. Similarly, people who are found to be responsible for causing collisions are regularly offered driver improvement scheme courses as an alternative to prosecution (they do have to pay for them, so they're not completely avoiding any consequence).

The fact is: most of us pass our driving test at 17, and then carry on driving for the rest of our lives with absolutely no input or reinvestment in our skills, picking up bad habits along the way which nobody ever challenges you on. Almost every single crash I go to is the result of human error, despite the best claims to the contrary by the drivers ("the bend was sharper than I expected, it's a dangerous road", "there was standing water on the tarmac, I didn't see it", "He stopped suddenly without warning"). Everybody- and I include myself in that- could have a think about their driving at times and probably recall moments when you had a narrow escape because you weren't quite concentrating.

I *think* crashes involving drunks are statistically more likely to involve serious injury or death, perhaps that's why there is a big focus on it.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
2r2rvah.jpg

The old ZIL limo: evidently quite spacious and reasonably well appointed.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Caught someone over the limit one morning a couple of weeks ago (taking his kids to school).

As we took him in, he told us we shouldn't be wasting our time and should be out checking people in the evenings when the proper drink-drivers were about.
Well I hope you let the kids drive the car on to the school. There is such a thing as punctuality in the mornings you know.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well I hope you let the kids drive the car on to the school. There is such a thing as punctuality in the mornings you know.

They were within walking distance by then, so made it safely there, and on time. Big relief all round :thumbsup:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here