Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Drawing the Boro line

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Agree with that. Sadly it means Mike Dean admitting a mistake and that aint gonna happen. The FA will sadly back their "man".

If Mike Dean did admit his mistake I would be preparing a very high powered lawyer as well...

Mike dean is the one ref we are sending to the euros, the fa are not going to overule him unless he admits he has made an error

This is Mike dean we are talking about. I have more chance of pissing in the Queens handbag and having a sex wee in Kate Middleton's mouth than there is of him admitting an error

Only other hope and it's a small one is if the other officials admit they made an error or Middlesbrough players/manager side with us but you doubt that will happen either

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Mike dean is the one ref we are sending to the euros, the fa are not going to overule him unless he admits he has made an error

This is Mike dean we are talking about. I have more chance of pissing in the Queens handbag and having a sex wee in Kate Middleton's mouth than there is of him admitting an error

Only other hope and it's a small one is if the other officials admit they made an error or Middlesbrough players/manager side with us but you doubt that will happen either

Hard luck Germany, Spain and the rest.

At least he is barred form refereeing England :rock:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Genuine question: is he known for his stubbornness? Only, if not then I'd have thought there might be a chance of him admitting a mistake on closer inspection of the incident. I agree, we can't rely on the FA to do what's right without Dean swallowing his pride.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I think we have blown it we always struggle in the playoffs hope im wrong though we are the best side in the PO but that counts for shit

This is simply not true. Statistically, our play-off record is EXACTLY what it should be.

We have contested the play-offs four times.

Of those four semi finals, we have won two (Millwall, Swindon) and lost two (Palace, Derby)

Of the two finals, similarly, we went on the win one and lose one.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I must be the only one that thinks there's a chance of Stephens card getting rescinded to a yellow? I think it could happen. The club have nothing to lose here by appealing but as there is overwhelming pressure to correct this. I think they just might. I haven't heard one pundit or columnist say it was red, most say it wasn't even a foul. Even pundits that hate us. Still if we don't have Stephens I can see a siege mentality taking hold and a 'Do it for Dale' motto coming through.
Infact we all as fans need to get aggressive, loud and angry, everyone is against us. Let's do it for Dale, and those we sadly lost over the year.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I must be the only one that thinks there's a chance of Stephens card getting rescinded to a yellow? I think it could happen. The club have nothing to lose here by appealing but as there is overwhelming pressure to correct this. I think they just might. I haven't heard one pundit or columnist say it was red, most say it wasn't even a foul. Even pundits that hate us. Still if we don't have Stephens I can see a siege mentality taking hold and a 'Do it for Dale' motto coming through.
Infact we all as fans need to get aggressive, loud and angry, everyone is against us. Let's do it for Dale, and those we sadly lost over the year.

Nope you aren't the only one

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I'm hoping but resigned to a rejection.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I haven't heard one pundit or columnist say it was red, most say it wasn't even a foul.

Except, tellingly, Halsey in his You are the Ref column and Dermot Gallagher on Sky Sports. The refs think it was a red, the ex-players don't. Unfortunately, it's the opinion of referees that will count.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

I'm okay with Boro. Not a lot there that wouldn't have happened if the other way round

I'm.not okay with Mike dean. The shouting at Stephens to get off the pitch, the bawling of look at his leg, the changed mind and lack of knowledge how footballers play, I still reckon the advice came from 4th official rather than either lino (and I think thay 4 official is only supposed to comment on the items happening in tech areas)

You are right as I've read it ex pros are saying not a red, all neutral fans I've spoken to have said not red and from looking on other forums it seems two thirds one third in favour of not red. Only local to North East journos Inc those for nationals and ex refs say it was and even then mark Halsey seemed almost grudgingly to agree with Mike dean

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Except, tellingly, Halsey in his You are the Ref column and Dermot Gallagher on Sky Sports. The refs think it was a red, the ex-players don't. Unfortunately, it's the opinion of referees that will count.

Refs closing ranks in public, is to be expected. It depends if they do that behind closed doors too. I'm not so sure. Or rather I'm just hopeful there might be at least one or two nice people on the panel that think it's a yellow.

Edited to add, we were also unsuccessful with the Murphy appeal, that fact might play into our hands.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

The make up of the appeal panel will be crucial. They come from a pool of people they use, which include referees, former players and administrators. Get three ex-players they'll side with Stephens, three former refs will back their snide mate, etc.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The make up of the appeal panel will be crucial. They come from a pool of people they use, which include referees, former players and administrators. Get three ex-players they'll side with Stephens, three former refs will back their snide mate, etc.
very unlikely to be three players. A mix of people I'd have thought.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
very unlikely to be three players. A mix of people I'd have thought.

Indeed. I was showing the two extremes for illustrative purposes. The actual make up will be a mix, and our chances of success will depend on the nature of that mix, and on the strength of opinion of the individuals involved.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Indeed. I was showing the two extremes for illustrative purposes. The actual make up will be a mix, and our chances of success will depend on the nature of that mix, and on the strength of opinion of the individuals involved.

Mark Bright anyone???

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm still pissed off about the whole thing. Not hugely but enough for me to have avoided Twitter as much as possible.

I know I sound like a petulant child but it is not fair that Barton got away with literally stamping on Kayal and, in light of that, it is reprehensible that Stephens, and our promotion chances, have been punished for winning the ball.

There's no way we've got Stephens for this run. Absolutely no way.

GRAH!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I'm still pissed off about the whole thing. Not hugely but enough for me to have avoided Twitter as much as possible.

I know I sound like a petulant child but it is not fair that Barton got away with literally stamping on Kayal and, in light of that, it is reprehensible that Stephens, and our promotion chances, have been punished for winning the ball.

There's no way we've got Stephens for this run. Absolutely no way.

GRAH!

My thoughts exactly!I'm so petulant that I was pleased to learn that M'boro have to pay out over £5 mill on promotion clauses on players contracts!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here