Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Dr Who- Christmas Day

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Dr Who most enjoyable. And I wonder if Angie's real purpose in returning is to get revenge on Dirty Den. One thing for certain, Ncuti Gatwa was born for that role. But unfortunately, like a quality gem that's found by Albion's recruitment team, I can't see him hanging round for too long.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Love Ncuti, but what did people make of his accent? It seemed to change, with a bit of Irish and a bit of Jamaican, as if done for an American audience?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Love Ncuti, but what did people make of his accent? It seemed to change, with a bit of Irish and a bit of Jamaican, as if done for an American audience?
He's a Scottish Rwandan. It takes some getting used to. But I'm sure it will be okay in time.

I think he's perfect for the role, a natural. I haven't watched a Christmas Special with such anticipation for a new series for some time.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
He's a Scottish Rwandan. It takes some getting used to. But I'm sure it will be okay in time.

I think he's perfect for the role, a natural. I haven't watched a Christmas Special with such anticipation for a new series for some time.

Sounded like him to me. Gay African-Scottish
Well, yes, I’ve seen him lots of times before, I know his background. But this just sounded a bit different, a bit “extra“. Maybe it’s just me. Thoroughly enjoy watching him.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Dr Who most enjoyable. And I wonder if Angie's real purpose in returning is to get revenge on Dirty Den. One thing for certain, Ncuti Gatwa was born for that role. But unfortunately, like a quality gem that's found by Albion's recruitment team, I can't see him hanging round for too long.
I think it was The Times the other day saying that they have filmed the first series and are part way through the second series with him. Dunno how many in a series but good that they've got some under their belt already. Thought he was decent as the Doctor, and the new assistant nice too. My sons were very dismissive of the new sonic screwdriver though!

EDIT: just saw @sparkie wrote the same thing as I was writing mine!

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I really liked it, as did 2 of my Doctor Who mad children. If you ignore the lack of plot involving the villains, who get defeated incredibly easily in the end, it was a Really fun romp, setting up the storylines for the new season.
Ncuti looks like he is going to be great as the Doctor. Hopefully, a few good stories along the way.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Really enjoyed it.

Ncuti has definitely got that X factor that makes a good Doctor - there's just something about him that fits the part perfectly.

Looking forward to the series.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
The four recent episodes show that all that has been missing in recent years is some ha;f decent writting and storylining

Both Capaldi and Whittaker could have been great, but the writting nd story let them both down

Nice not to see any comments regarding "wokeness" yet-long may that continue

Last nights was an enjoyable romp, not to taxing, with a few nice nods to previous events and hints of things to comer, and I liked the Die Hard scene (crawling through the vents)
Not convinced by the musical number- a bit like the scene from "The Hobbit" but overall was a nice watch after Crimbo Dinner

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am not a big Doctor Who fan but I thought it was superb and a brilliant new doctor and sidekick. Very well done 9 out of 10

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
. My sons were very dismissive of the new sonic screwdriver though!!
Has anyone ever seen him actually unscrew anything with it.

Whatever happened to the episode "Dr Who Goes to IKEA"?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Do kids still watch Dr Who? Seems to be made for an adult audience these days. I guess no one is hiding behind the sofa anymore.
One of our 12 year old's pals is obsessed. We got her a scarf with Daleks on it for Crimbo. She is ecstatic.

I hope Gatiss writes some episodes (they will be scary).

Here's a thing. I have re-watched all the reboot series. First time around series scores:

Ecclestone: 7
Tennant: 8
Smith: 9
Capaldi: 6
Whittacker :5

When I watched again:

Ecclestone: 8
Tennant: 7
Smith: 8
Capaldi: 7
Whittacker 6

Second time around I thought:
Ecclestone series - the reboot - magic
Too much gurning from Tennant. Some irritating episodes.
Smith - still perhaps my favourite ever doctor, but it now seems a tad messianic. And the male support actor was shite.
The Capaldi series seemed much better, second watch
Whittacker - even more too much gurning, and it 'felt' like a kids 4.50 adventure lark.

And - bosh- we may now be back to something a bit more edgy. Even if the music is likely to get a tad messianic.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Watched it while rather pissed..Will have to watch it again sober as I did not really get it I'm afraid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here