Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Downsides to Poyet? - Sunderland fan here

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'd tend to agree with you about Reading and wasn't really surprised that he didn't take the job - he has however essentially denied that he made the alleged phone call to TB in March of last year.

First I'd heard of it. Can you provide a link please?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
What evidence do you expect? A copy of the notes of Gus' disciplinary hearing perhaps?

But why should people trust you?
All the facts you have mentioned are:
-He refused to deal with the retained list - Ok, but i still don't understand why the club wanted him to deal with it if he wanted out, and according to all the timelines had already committed gross misconduc
-He was selling himself in interviews -

With this info why is it so wierd that people are yet to be completely convinced?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I thought he had denied it!

"I had an opportunity to leave for a Premiership club. Everything was agreed. I was given permission to talk to the club. They made me an unbelievable offer - very difficult to refuse and I was loyal."

"I was loyal to the club and I decided to stay. So how you can explain that somebody says to you they want to leave and a week later got the chance to go to a Premiership club with a better deal, with a better project and stays. It's not common sense that's for sure."

If only the truth would come out about the vacancy at Reading.

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
I was gutted when he left, but the thing that annoyed me was the manor he left the club and the situation of it all made me feel embarrassed.
Due to the fact he wanted to leave for a bigger club annoyed me as it showed we weren't good enough for him. I mean if he has asperations for the prem why didn't he just keep his mouth shut and when he left there wouldn't of been this hoo haa.
He pissed me off in the post match interview after the play off semi finals against palace, when he went out of the way to critise everything and told the board he needed more support. He got enough support.
I do credit him for his willing to win and it has shown in this sunderland team, I personally don't think they'll be anywhere near the relegation zone come the end of season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
But why should people trust you?
All the facts you have mentioned are:
-He refused to deal with the retained list - Ok, but i still don't understand why the club wanted him to deal with it if he wanted out, and according to all the timelines had already committed gross misconduc
-He was selling himself in interviews -

With this info why is it so wierd that people are yet to be completely convinced?

I gave a couple of examples (there are more), but it is up to you whether you trust the club's judgement WRT Gus' dismissal. IMHO, given the information in the public domain (and even without the info that isn't), the club were still right to sack him. Others see it otherwise.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I gave a couple of examples (there are more), but it is up to you whether you trust the club's judgement WRT Gus' dismissal. IMHO, given the information in the public domain (and without the info that isn't), the club were right to sack him. Others see it otherwise.

OTHERWISE THEN ,UNTIL SOMEONE TELLS THE TRUTH OF WHAT HAPPENED.
how the club and yourself can expect anyone to take the "take it or leave it" attitude beats me
it would be interesting to know why this never got to court?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I thought he had denied it!

"I had an opportunity to leave for a Premiership club. Everything was agreed. I was given permission to talk to the club. They made me an unbelievable offer - very difficult to refuse and I was loyal."

"I was loyal to the club and I decided to stay. So how you can explain that somebody says to you they want to leave and a week later got the chance to go to a Premiership club with a better deal, with a better project and stays. It's not common sense that's for sure."

Could Gus be being economical with the truth, I wonder? Could it be that another more desirable Prem club (at the time) wanted then didn't want his services? Gus' wording is VERY careful and clever. Does he actually deny he asked to leave (as Tony said)?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
OTHERWISE THEN ,UNTIL SOMEONE TELLS THE TRUTH OF WHAT HAPPENED.
how the club and yourself can expect anyone to take the "take it or leave it" attitude beats me
it would be interesting to know why this never got to court?

Because Gus didn't have a case.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

From the Argus

Reacting to chairman Tony Bloom saying Poyet told him in March he wanted to leave, the former Albion manager added: "It's very interesting. Tony Bloom needs to get over me. If it's true what he is saying, he is talking about before the Crystal Palace game (March 17). A week later I had an opportunity to leave for a Premiership club (Reading).

I believe Bloom's statement that Gus asked to leave before the Palace game, if only for Gus' totally bizarre (at the time ) comment after the 3-0 win over Palace along the lines of "This would be a good moment to leave a club".

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
or he took the money and ran?

No money paid to him (info in the public domain). He dropped the case (he knew he would lose).

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
No money paid to him (info in the public domain). He dropped the case (he knew he would lose).

and you know this because?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Both the club and GP have stated the issue was sorted - nowhere have they said money didn't change hands, in either direction.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Both the club and GP have stated the issue was sorted - nowhere have they said money didn't change hands, in either direction.

I know it doesn't suit your agenda, but it was reported in the press that he got nowt.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I gave a couple of examples (there are more), but it is up to you whether you trust the club's judgement WRT Gus' dismissal. IMHO, given the information in the public domain (and even without the info that isn't), the club were still right to sack him. Others see it otherwise.

What other examples have you given? (other than the two I listed)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here